EDFL Juniors

Remove this Banner Ad

Thoughts??

You've raised this numerous times, it's been discussed, nothing new will come from you posting it again.

You were also asked to take it to the Junior thread

Indeed. Next time they'll just be deleted.

Its not the clubs fault - its the EDFL's fault for not doing their due diligence and grading the club correctly in the first place.

That said, they may not be at fault either - maybe the clubs best 2 players were unavailable during grading or even simply that the team concerned have really gelled during training and have improved. It can happen.

If you are going to want to 'punish' clubs then you also need to come up with a proper definition of 'dominating' too.
So you are aware some clubs are taking the piss out the league and clubs request certain divisions or tank early on which is just poor form. Yes the EDFL are negligent but clubs are clearly doing wrong for the pure reason to win a premiership.
I think these particular clubs should be put in div1 or premier 18s to teach them a good lesson to not manipulate the system.

I know a certain club who’s junior coach called the league crying to get his team demoted to div 3 saying if the were not demoted they would not have any players, committee and parents found out about what coach had done half way through the year and we’re not happy subsequently all was forgiven as team won every game by lots and the grand final by more. Sometimes it’s not the club but a coach living out his fantasy through his children

I know a certain club who’s junior coach called the league crying to get his team demoted to div 3 saying if the were not demoted they would not have any players, committee and parents found out about what coach had done half way through the year and we’re not happy subsequently all was forgiven as team won every game by lots and the grand final by more. Sometimes it’s not the club but a coach living out his fantasy through his children
I’m hearing you but usually the league won’t accept calls from coaches with regards to this type of thing. Some people have no idea which is very sad.

The huge problem for leagues is the decline in junior participation and umpires. This issue has a huge flow on effect towards the decline but to many people with there head in the sand.

I admit grading is not easy but seroiusly look at some results it’s a big joke and not competitive.

So you are aware some clubs are taking the piss out the league and clubs request certain divisions or tank early on which is just poor form. Yes the EDFL are negligent but clubs are clearly doing wrong for the pure reason to win a premiership.
I think these particular clubs should be put in div1 or premier 18s to teach them a good lesson to not manipulate the system.
The EDFL asks every club to nominate their preferred division for each team. Its not just certain clubs.

I don't know how you would prove a club was 'tanking'. If the AFL couldn't do it with all the resources and money available to it then I don't know how you'd expect the EDFL to prove it with their very limited resources.

Didn’t even know there was a junior forum so apologies mate.

There isn't, it's just a thread about junior footy.

I have a friend of mine who has a kid playing at Craigieburn. Won 2 games in Div 5 were sent up to Div 2 and lost every single game since. Sure they would've liked to play finals, or maybe even be graded again later in the year, but for the most part the team was happy just to get 14 games played.

There isn't, it's just a thread about junior footy.

I have a friend of mine who has a kid playing at Craigieburn. Won 2 games in Div 5 were sent up to Div 2 and lost every single game since. Sure they would've liked to play finals, or maybe even be graded again later in the year, but for the most part the team was happy just to get 14 games played.
Huge jump from div5 to div2. Craigieburn A sides should be in div1 or div2 as they have a big area. As do other clubs like Hillside, Burnside, East Sunbury, Rupo etc. These clubs should be made to play div1 and only allowed to go lower with good reason.

No clubs junior A sides ( if they have 2 sides in age group) really should be lower than div2.

Huge jump from div5 to div2. Craigieburn A sides should be in div1 or div2 as they have a big area. As do other clubs like Hillside, Burnside, East Sunbury, Rupo etc. These clubs should be made to play div1 and only allowed to go lower with good reason.

No clubs junior A sides ( if they have 2 sides in age group) really should be lower than div2.
We have one 16s side only and they played div 4 and hardly won a game. You also have to go off previous years results. We played Burnside in grading and lost by 95 points... we stayed in div 4, they went to div 5.

Oak park win their last grading game in div 3 beating westies by 40 points....OP got relegated to div 4 where they have taken the piss out of the comp and lost a game. Westy stayed in div 3 and been struggling.

Look at roxy 16s over the last 6 years.... hardly won more than 3 games each year but keep getting put in higher divs until this year... but still should have been div 5

On SM-N985F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We have one 16s side only and they played div 4 and hardly won a game. You also have to go off previous years results. We played Burnside in grading and lost by 95 points... we stayed in div 4, they went to div 5.

Oak park win their last grading game in div 3 beating westies by 40 points....OP got relegated to div 4 where they have taken the piss out of the comp and lost a game. Westy stayed in div 3 and been struggling.

Look at roxy 16s over the last 6 years.... hardly won more than 3 games each year but keep getting put in higher divs until this year... but still should have been div 5

Uptherox while I agree with all you have said I must point out that my son plays in that Craigieburn U 16’s team and while half of them have not played above Div 4 football before the other half have always played top age/ division. My son is top age 16’s and has always played Div 1/2. These boys have really encouraged the younger less experienced players and while they struggled quite a lot of their losses were by a small margin. The team were quite capable in Div 2. Unfortunately it’s not always players but coaching style and player position that hampers a team and we saw a lot of this this season. To be fair we should have finished top 5 had the players been in their best positions all season. The tail half of the year saw this happen and they were more successful because of it. The situation with clubs like Oak Park etc is just taking the piss. I also do not remember a year when we had 4 grading rounds and then more movement up and down. However I believe the bigger clubs will always have a little more ‘pull’.

So Burnside A side win the 16 div5 premiership. Wow what a shock!! How are they in div5 in completely beyond a joke. Should be div3 at the worse.

So here is my prediction
Div4 - Oak Park A side
Div3 - Coburg Districts A side “easy”
Div2 - Hillside A side
Div1 - Keilor

-Great achievement by Westmeadows to make the GF of div1. Well done and showing the other clubs how it’s done!

- How is It that no clubs B sides will win a GF. So let’s discourage players with less abilities so certain clubs can win premierships.

- How are A sides with ability in div3 div4 and div5. Absolute joke!! Coburg Districts are not far from Pacco so how do they justify one club A team in Pacco play div1 yet CD A side play div3. You have CD A side playing Paccos B side. Doesn’t make sense. CD should be div2.

- I don’t agree with Hillside and Doutta Stars A sides playing div2. Especially when div1 is limited to 6 teams. I believe they should say team X, Y, Z you are playing div1 for the next 5 years so improve your system/pathway and become better.
*Flip side is it’s known that some clubs poach junior talent so that doesn’t help other clubs stay competitive though.

Imo Greenvale, Douttas, Hillside, Craigieburn should be told they are playing div1 and they make up the 10 sides. I went for Craigieburn over Avondale purely based on the demographics or the area.

- Great effort by Hadfield playing div2 and making preliminary final. It would appear a lot of work has gone into the clubs juniors in a tough area as it’s an older area.

Great to hear what others think of how do we improve and level out junior footy!!

You will see I’m not biased in my opinions and being honest..

Cheers

So Burnside A side win the 16 div5 premiership. Wow what a shock!! How are they in div5 in completely beyond a joke. Should be div3 at the worse.

So here is my prediction
Div4 - Oak Park A side
Div2 - Hillside A side
Div1 - Keilor

-Great achievement by Westmeadows to make the GF of div1. Well done and showing the other clubs how it’s done!

- How is It that no clubs B sides will win a GF. So let’s discourage players with less abilities so certain clubs can win premierships.

- How are A sides with ability in div3 div4 and div5. Absolute joke!! Coburg Districts are not far from Pacco so how do they justify one club A team in Pacco play div1 yet CD A side play div3. You have CD A side playing Paccos B side. Doesn’t make sense. CD should be div2.

- I don’t agree with Hillside and Doutta Stars A sides playing div2. Especially when div1 is limited to 6 teams. I believe they should say team X, Y, Z you are playing div1 for the next 5 years so improve your system/pathway and become better.
*Flip side is it’s known that some clubs poach junior talent so that doesn’t help other clubs stay competitive though.

Imo Greenvale, Douttas, Hillside, Craigieburn should be told they are playing div1 and they make up the 10 sides. I went for Craigieburn over Avondale purely based on the demographics or the area.

- Great effort by Hadfield playing div2 and making preliminary final. It would appear a lot of work has gone into the clubs juniors in a tough area as it’s an older area.

Great to hear what others think of how do we improve and level out junior footy!!

Cheers

There is also the other side to the discussion though Turbo. I know they aren’t your favourite clubs but we usually see Abers, Keilor & Strathmore second sides in div 2 and finishing way down the ladder. Getting smashed by 6-7 first teams.
I don’t have the answer on how to equal things up completely but at the same time I do think common sense could somewhat narrow the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There is also the other side to the discussion though Turbo. I know they aren’t your favourite clubs but we usually see Abers, Keilor & Strathmore second sides in div 2 and finishing way down the ladder. Getting smashed by 6-7 first teams.
I don’t have the answer on how to equal things up completely but at the same time I do think common sense could somewhat narrow the gap.

Yes mate I agree totally with your comments. Put them in a fair division which it appears they have not been graded in this year. Example: Abers 3 playing Coburg Districts 1 in div3. Shouldnt happen that a clubs C side plays a A side unless it’s a struggling club with maybe only one side they have just got together. Yes Abers C side might be stronger than say a struggling Tulla, KP, Roxy etc but I think they have to accept that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a shame the div 1 kids don’t the the opportunity to be on Windy Hill this year. Hope there isn’t much more rain, Glenroy can be a bog.
Why couldn’t Essendon-Werribee VFL game be played today?

What a shame the div 1 kids don’t the the opportunity to be on Windy Hill this year. Hope there isn’t much more rain, Glenroy can be a bog.
Why couldn’t Essendon-Werribee VFL game be played today?

Can't understand that. I know one of the westies boys and he was desperate to make the granny and play on Windy Hill as a bombers fan but instead has to go the Glenroy which from all reports is in shocking condition. Don't understand if they aren't playing in Windy Hill and are not charging for admission why you wouldn't play it at the grounds with the best playing surface. Not being biased but Lakeside Reserve is probably in the top 3 grounds in the league right now for the condition of the playing surface and not far from Glenroy.... why not host the Granny there.

Understand they need a gated venue when charging spectators, just feel they missed a chance this year to play them in the best surface possible

So here is my prediction
Div4 - Oak Park A side
Div2 - Hillside A side
Div1 - Keilor

Cheers
Agree with most Bash but this part

Westies have been poaching talented junior players from other clubs like ours for years. Good on them for identifying talent and going after them but not all their good kids are "home grown". Moey Yass was at roxy until under 17s. They also grabbed a few more under 16s the last few years..I know they have also taken a lot of kids out of Greenvale.

Only other point I would argue is the one about the demographic of Craigieburn/roxy area and why you put the burners above avondale. Craigieburn and roxy are losing kids to cricket (a lot of Indian kids in the area and all play winter cricket) and soccer. Roxy united opened here a few years ago and all the immigrants coming from Syria and Iraq aren't going in to auskick but going to soccer. The area is not what it was 10/15 years ago and i would argue the demographic of avondale is a lot more likely to play footy than people coming into this area. I live here and have for 20 years....I've seen it first hand

Can't understand that. I know one of the westies boys and he was desperate to make the granny and play on Windy Hill as a bombers fan but instead has to go the Glenroy which from all reports is in shocking condition. Don't understand if they aren't playing in Windy Hill and are not charging for admission why you wouldn't play it at the grounds with the best playing surface. Not being biased but Lakeside Reserve is probably in the top 3 grounds in the league right now for the condition of the playing surface and not far from Glenroy.... why not host the Granny there.

Understand they need a gated venue when charging spectators, just feel they missed a chance this year to play them in the best surface possible

Don't they charge for junior grand finals

A few years ago the games counted against games played when my young bloke was in 8....then they changed the rule and they didn't, then changed back and they did. Not sure if it's changed again

Surely it counts? Need to register every week and the kids are representing their club. Wasn't sure if it was an EDFL thing or a club by club decision

So how do they arrange the divisions in juniors - do they have 2nd or 3rds teams against 1sts?

The best way would be to compile a list of 1st sides for each age group and sort them into 2 or 3 divisions of 8 or 10 and call them A1, A2, A3.

Then compile a list of 2nd sides for the age group and sort them into divisions of 8 or 10 and call them B1, B2, B3.

If there are enough 3rd sides for an age group to form a division then do so and call it C. Otherwise, they go into the bottom B grade (or the one above if required) and make it so a club doesn't have its 2s play its 3s.

Re-grading only occurs after 4 rounds and they can go up or down but stay inside their letter.

Last edited:
So how do they arrange the divisions in juniors - do they have 2nd or 3rds teams against 1sts?

The best way would be to compile a list of 1st sides for each age group and sort them into 2 or 3 divisions of 8 or 10 and call them A1, A2, A3.

Then compile a list of 2nd sides for the age group and sort them into divisions of 8 or 10 and call them B1, B2, B3.

If there are enough 3rd sides for an age group to form a division then do so and call it C. Otherwise, they go into the bottom B grade (or the one above if required) and make it so a club doesn't have its 2s play its 3s.

Re-grading only occurs after 4 rounds and they can go up or down but stay inside their letter.
Great idea but some clubs just like beating up younger ages kids so they won’t like playing against kids there own size. 🤣🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

Back