List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Last edited:
Take what that guy says with a massive grain of salt, he's mostly full of s**t.

He's said last 2 years Barrass was confirmed as gone, and last year said there would be a massive exodus of Eagles players seeking a trade.

If you want an idea of how accurate he is
View attachment 1969806
He was also the one that said to get their head around having pick 1 because we were trading it for English.

Busslinger would be a fantastic pickup though if we can get him. There’s a spot for him now and we need something coming underneath Gov and Barrass. Won’t cost more than our second, even then probably some wiggle room for pick swaps, we’d be Eberting them, our first wouldn’t be talked about.

Not sure medically as to the correlation but Cori Bay is bloody cold and has soft tissue problems

Brisbane is the opposite

I’m thinking the NFL would have insights
In the middle of winter, Geelong is a very cold, very gloomy and very windy place.

I'm no expert but I reckon Brisbane's climate would have some positive impact

Not sure medically as to the correlation but Cori Bay is bloody cold and has soft tissue problems

Brisbane is the opposite

I’m thinking the NFL would have insights

Geelong cold and misserable.

Brisbane temperate and at times hot.

Great weather for cheap house and land packages in Geelong. Not so great for soft tissue injury rehab?

Last edited:
Some over there are absolutely unhinged with what they value their players at, most delusional in the league. Say that Tim English is soft as s**t then 20 minutes later say they should match a FA offer for him and demand pick 1 for the AA ruckman. Buss hasn’t played a single game, they aren’t getting a R1 for him.
To be fair, Buss was a round one pick and a tall who takes longer than develop at a club challenging for finals. Him not getting a game doesn't automatically reduce his value. It probably remains around where it was (13) but being out of contract and wanting to leave would bring it down to that second round pick, imo.

To be fair, Buss was a round one pick and a tall who takes longer than develop at a club challenging for finals. Him not getting a game doesn't automatically reduce his value. It probably remains around where it was (13) but being out of contract and wanting to leave would bring it down to that second round pick, imo.
Most posters from all clubs (ours included) over value their own players but they are serial offenders. I think it’s fair to say that despite being a tall if he doesn’t play a game in 2 years then you aren’t going to get close to the same draft pick back. As you mentioned I think pick 22 would be fair in the circumstances we’re likely to be confronted with which is where he plays between zero and half a dozen games at best whilst OOC and wants to come home.

Stickdick reporting an “exclusive” that the Barnett contract extension being finalised is for two years. If that’s the case I’m pretty happy with that. Will also mean him and Curtin coming out of contract at the same time if both want a sea change…

Last edited:
Most posters from all clubs (ours included) over value their own players but they are serial offenders. I think it’s fair to say that despite being a tall if he doesn’t play a game in 2 years then you aren’t going to get close to the same draft pick back. As you mentioned I think pick 22 would be fair in the circumstances we’re likely to be confronted with which is where he plays between zero and half a dozen games at best whilst OOC and wants to come home.

Wont it need to be our F2nd as we already traded our 3rd this year?

Rioli went for a F2nd and he could play......abiet with off field issues.

Baker valued at a late 1st early 2nd.

Unless he gets games and really impresses a F2nd gets it done as he's OOC. Bulldogs look to be turning over some stars this trade period for draft picks so future picks may be preferred anyway,

Stickdick reporting an “exclusive” that the Barnett contract extension being finalised is for two years. If that’s the case I’m pretty happy with that.
Would think that puts to bed any English talk once and for all, we've got 3 ruckmen locked away medium term now if that's true

Wont it need to be our F2nd as we already traded our 3rd this year?

Rioli went for a F2nd and he could play......abiet with off field issues.

Baker valued at a late 1st early 2nd.

Unless he gets games and really impresses a F2nd gets it done as he's OOC. Bulldogs look to be turning over some stars this trade period for draft picks so future picks may be preferred anyway,
Where does our 3R (which yes we traded with pick 40 for Hall) come into it? Roughly Pick 22 is our 2R if we finished 17th?

I do agree with you I reckon Clarke is aiming for:
2R for Baker
F2 for Buss

I’d love to offer our 4R for Ned Moyle or possibly add it to the Buss trade to get Garcia and give the dogs a bone.

What would you do with our 1R?

I can kinda see it...he's been a lot stronger in marking contests the last few weeks.....but he'd really want to improve his goal kicking accuracy
It almost sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself in real time… There’s just no way he’s a KPF. Even less room for him now with Coleman medallist elect Jake the Snake in career best form. His rucking and work around the ground has been very impressive. Our ruck puzzle is actually quite intriguing.

It almost sounds like you’re trying to convince yourself in real time… There’s just no way he’s a KPF. Even less room for him now with Coleman medallist elect Jake the Snake in career best form. His rucking and work around the ground has been very impressive. Our ruck puzzle is actually quite intriguing.
I don't think his ruck work is that great tbh, he doesn't win anywhere near enough hitouts and the hitouts he does win don't go to our players enough. His follow up work after the ruck contest is pretty elite for a ruckman though and I think he's been playing well around the ground and providing a good marking target lately.

I can kinda see it...he's been a lot stronger in marking contests the last few weeks.....but he'd really want to improve his goal kicking accuracy
Just needs a run of easy goals to get his confidence up. He’d be fairly dominant as a player if he was playing with supreme confidence. Doesn’t strike me as someone who feels super comfortable out there still, but his leap is pretty insane when he wants to bust it out. Real shame he shanked that shot in the derby

I don't think his ruck work is that great tbh, he doesn't win anywhere near enough hitouts and the hitouts he does win don't go to our players enough. His follow up work after the ruck contest is pretty elite for a ruckman though and I think he's been playing well around the ground and providing a good marking target lately.
That’s a pretty good assessment but highlights the problem of where does he fit in when Flynn (and Oscar) return? Are we going to play Flynn, Oscar, JD, Waterman, Maric and BWilliams all in the same team in the forward half of the ground?

Seems like more disagree than agree the couple of times I’ve suggested we look to trade him if we could get a pick around 25 (which in itself is heavily disputed too).

Where does our 3R (which yes we traded with pick 40 for Hall) come into it? Roughly Pick 22 is our 2R if we finished 17th?

I do agree with you I reckon Clarke is aiming for:
2R for Baker
F2 for Buss

I’d love to offer our 4R for Ned Moyle or possibly add it to the Buss trade to get Garcia and give the dogs a bone.

What would you do with our 1R?

Are we allowed to trade both 2nd and 3rd rounders in the same draft is my question?

Dont we need to get AFL approval?

Or is that trading a 1st and a 2nd in the same draft?

A moot point as Im sure the AFL would allow it as one player is only 21 and the other makes us more competitive straight away.

In fact it would be very unwise to block a request from us like that even if the AFL could. It would be a shocking look if the AFL kept shovelling assistance and support to top teams from expansion states and then blocked a bottom club from trading to improve. What other options do we have?

Our ruck situation will remain uncertain until if/when Flynn gets over his hamstring injury and we get a look at what not only he looks like in the ruck but also Bailey Williams as a semi-permanent forward

Barnett gets another 2 years to develop as an understudy to Flynn

Jamieson’s future is as a KPD if he’s going to make it as an AFL player

Archer Reid and Livingstone are KPF’s that might be able to ruck but have a lot of development to do yet

Going after English is dependent on how well Flynn plays

That’s a pretty good assessment but highlights the problem of where does he fit in when Flynn (and Oscar) return? Are we going to play Flynn, Oscar, JD, Waterman, Maric and BWilliams all in the same team in the forward half of the ground?

Seems like more disagree than agree the couple of times I’ve suggested we look to trade him if we could get a pick around 25 (which in itself is heavily disputed too).
Yeah, that's the issue, assuming all are fit there's no room for them all. Darling the obvious one to make way given his age but still probably leaves us a bit tall. I guess you assume you'd be rotating one of the others through the bench at all times and it's not too bad.
I don't mind seeing what we can get for Bailey if Flynn looks good in the second half of the year and Barnett is going well in the WAFL

Are we allowed to trade both 2nd and 3rd rounders in the same draft is my question?

A moot point as Im sure the AFL would allow it as one player is only 21 and the other makes us more competitive straight away.

In fact it would be very unwise to block a request from us like that even if the AFL could. It would be a shocking look if the AFL kept shovelling assistance and support to top teams from expansion states and then blocked a bottom club from trading to improve. What other options do we have?
We can trade them yes. Port traded 2R and 3R for Willie, we don’t need approval.

Have to use at least 2x R1 picks in a rolling 4 year period (we’ve used 4 from 2020-23)

Can’t trade either a F2 or F3 if you’ve traded your F1 in any trade/draft period. Nor can you trade your F1 if you’ve traded either a F2 or F3

Can trade both a F2 and F3

Would love to know what you disagree with in this post Obeanie1
Considering Bailey's hit out win % is 2nd last out of recognised ruckmen in the AFL at the moment and his hit out to advantage % is 4th last.

We arent trading BW and he will play 2nd ruck and forward.

Darling is gone in two seasons, maybe end of next year.

Maric I could see as a 3rd tall defender (Sisily style without the DH factor) if we are in the enviable position of having too many gun tall forwards. Maric would make a great swingman.

If too many talls means we should trade then Waterman may be the answer. An unpopular thought Im sure. He had suitors last trade period but signed for two more years. Now he's kicking bags and in hot form.

Also need to cover injuries and form. We need a decent group of talls to maintain selection pressure. Not all will play evrry week......as we know all too well.

Back