List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Last edited:
Barnetts manager on Gettable saying he expects the contract with the Eagles to get done.

Jeffery’s from GC also mentioned as one teams have interest in. Hope we are one of those. Fits a nice need for us. Reckon he plays AFL against us this week.
Yep really positive, he’s one that I wouldn’t have been surprised if he wanted to return home. Burgiel next. Also a little piece on Travaglia and Ben Hopkins (MSD), both of whom I really hope we’re targeting.

By not signing another door remains open. He cops an injury and loses security.

As for keeping options open you create opportunities by signing an extension, even just a two years extra. If he has two extra years added guaranteeing say $3M over his first five seasons he can take that to the bank and borrow that money he needs to buy his first HG franchise.

If he chooses to hold out, he cant borrow much at all.
HG?

Yep really positive, he’s one that I wouldn’t have been surprised if he wanted to return home. Burgiel next. Also a little piece on Travaglia and Ben Hopkins (MSD), both of whom I really hope we’re targeting.
We've got that 'no spots' problem.
The only way to target these two (or one of) is to get a genuine season ending injury or have someone retire.

We've got that 'no spots' problem.
The only way to target these two (or one of) is to get a genuine season ending injury or have someone retire.
Travaglia is national draft end of year so he’s no problem. Hopkins yes we’d need to transfer one to LTI/inactive list. If anyone Jamo is looking most likely at this stage. I’m not across Hewett’s recovery but strong mail Flynn and Oscar will be back soon after the bye so won’t be either of those two at this stage. Gaff doesn’t sound like he’s looking to go early either.

Also Konstanly, Angwin and Moyle named as players playing VFL that teams would have interest in.

Funny how they really only mention interstate clubs players.

Angwin could also be a nice fit.
Angwin was selected using a first rounder we gave up for Tim Kelly. Would be hilarious to get him on the list.

If you love football and are really good at it but not much else then, while losing sucks, which is better: playing for a crap team for many seasons or being a labourer etc?
There must be many players who set themselves up financially but don’t get to see much action at the pointy end of the season.

In figures released by the AFL to clubs on Monday, it was revealed the average salary of an AFL-listed player in the 2023 season was $441,464, up from $406,105 the previous year.

What about the median salary

Also Konstanly, Angwin and Moyle named as players playing VFL that teams would have interest in.

Funny how they really only mention interstate clubs players.

Angwin could also be a nice fit.
Word on our board, from a very reliable source about a week ago, is that we are chasing Moyle. Lane won't be offered a new contract.

I wouldn't sign yeo until at least halfway through the season without injury and then if he's played every game a 2+1 with a minimum of 30 games over the next 2 seasons to trigger the third.

problem is that, just like with Rioli, someone like say Geelong or Essendon could offer 3 years with limits knowing it doesn't impact their cap situation but potentially gives a significant boost.

Word on our board, from a very reliable source about a week ago, is that we are chasing Moyle. Lane won't be offered a new contract.

makes sense, you guys are rebuilding

Recover Joe Biden GIF by INTO ACTION

Once again, you seek to write about a singular view from a united board purely to elevate your sense of being the only correct person. How bazaar! Most of the sensible posters I believe are NOT united in the view you stated. I for one have had numerous discussion on the priority pick and these were with well informed posters are predominantly are mainly angling to manipulate the same mechanisms that Norf were incorrectly given and hence benefit by the rule of precedent. In this case, 2 wrongs should make a right.

I expect you view yourself as being gifted with extreme football intelligent and when there are differing views, you like to play the victim. I digress, so let me get back to my point.

Have you ever read the CBA? If not, let me expand your knowledge base.

Embedded in the CBA is a little known and untried clause. Paraphrasing it - where a player believes AFL rules “unreasonably restrain their trade as a professional footballer” and limit the amount the AFL player should be paid, they can contest that wage.

Restraint of trade and concussion are the 2 standout reasons that were stated to me as to why we have a former lawyer as CEO of the AFL. I suspect Dillon's ears would be listening. He does not want this to go public and we are dealing with an exception, not the norm with HR.

West Coast could go to the AFL with HR's manager and appeal (again this can be done discretely at the very top and hence the Damian Barretts of this world et al can go and get stuffed). Agree to keep it confidential but in effect we get Harley $1-2 million dollars extra for the three years he is already contracted. Agree to keep this concealed in a 5 year extension that will not be leaked. As a club, we are very good at keeping things quiet. The 5 year extension could be at $5-7 million with mechanisms to get him to $8-10 mln (Premierships, Premil Finals, AA, F&B, Brownlow, etc). A creative person will set the contract to ensure it is both lucrative and team encompassing. Remember the CBA starts to more serious jump up in 2025 as does our long term highly prized players.

Rational: As it stands, next year HR would have his earning limited to $310k and this would only be reached if he gets AA, Brownlow and club F&B. I have no doubts that a player triggering all these would earn a load more than $310k hence fair grounds for claiming that for an exceptional player the limitation is too low. I would take you through year 3 but it is a similar picture.

Most importantly is what does HR want to achieve? If it for both team and self, I am sure a good arrangement could be reached.

I also think an extra $1 to 2 mln in his first 3 years is worth a lot and hence we could easily contract out to multiple years where HR gets generously rewarded (rightfully so) but not to the detriment of the entire list.

So maybe next time ask in what world would HR be enticed to sign as against making out you have the inside running.

This is incredibly ranty, so I’ll only respond to the substantive elements- which you got wrong, or at least mischaracterised.

The clause in the CBA you’re referring to triggers the appointment of an external arbitrator who determines the salary of player in exceptional circumstances, at which point a club can either choose to accept.

There is no need for this to be part of a contract extension, although it could be.

There is no reason Harely can’t request arbitration, and have it part of a 5 year deal (i.e his original 3 years at a new rate +2), or just a standard 3 year deal on an amended rate.

There is no reality in which such a process could be conducted in a way that is out of the public view. In case you didn’t realise, AFL leaks like a sieve and so do player managers, and in any circumstance there is no motivation to conceal it, as it is not a mechanism able to activated by 99.5% of draftees, who by and large are not having their trade restrained due to limited output.

So you’ve just spent 10 paragraphs on saying not very much at all.

We are 3 weeks removed from being the biggest basket case in the AFL.

No one in their right mind signs up for combined total of 8 years of service at a basket case.

Sheezel has, and I bet he is having nightmares about that choice. We are 3 weeks removed from being a bigger basket case than north.

There is simply no incentive for Harley to sign beyond additional 2-3 years, arbitration or not, and his manager would not be doing the right thing by his client advising him to do so.

In terms of PP’s “using the same mechanisms as Norf” is begging for priority picks and discretionary assistance provided by AFL.

You should put a blue and white jumper on, beggar boy!

By not signing another door remains open. He cops an injury and loses security.

As for keeping options open you create opportunities by signing an extension, even just a two years extra. If he has two extra years added guaranteeing say $3M over his first five seasons he can take that to the bank and borrow that money he needs to buy his first HG franchise.

If he chooses to hold out, he cant borrow much at all.

1) if Harley gets injured, it won’t affect clubs offers to him, including ours. They’ll still pay through their nose and be happy to cop the bill injury or no injury.

2) Harley has pre existing sponsorships that are more lucrative than his AFL contract. He can use that money.

Geelong has a very poor record of treating soft tissue injuries. Particularly players with recurring soft tissue injuries.

Too much travel and/or too many players close to nursing home age?

Rhino reckons Yeo is after 2 years. Have we gone too far the other way offering 12 months?!
Where’s he said that? Can’t possibly see us not offering him 2 years, only question was if it’s +1 with games clause.

Back