List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Harley could have a 12 month injury and it wouldn’t affect his contract value. Clubs would still pay through their ears regardless.

I’ve already ansewered your question.

It’s not about money. Harley will earn 15-20 million over his career factoring in on and off field earnings.

It is about Harley ensuring on field success. West Coast is still very much a risky proposition in early stages of a rebuild.

Three weeks ago, half this board was in the 100 page long priority pick thread saying how we needed picks or we’d be at the bottom for years to come, and how we were worse than north and a lock for the spoon.

Harley is right to sign for two. See where we are at in 3-4 years time and then make a decision on whether to stay based on how we are tracking with our rebuild.

Look at Sheezel who is signed to North until 2030. He should sack his manager.
100%

He's been here 5 minutes.
Let's see how he's feeling even next year.

I'd love him to sign a 5 year extension to take him to FA but apart from guaranting him the money straight away, I can't really see why he would.

Agree about Sheezel.
North might not even be around by 2030.

Can we please target LDU offer him heaps of money
See my post above. I’m also so sick of Norf whinging about how s**t they are. Trade a couple of high picks for KPPs FFS. They look to be developing this pipeline where they retain players through to roughly free agency then they leave and use the picks to take talented kids and the cycle starts again. I reckon mummas boy Sheezel will be thinking wtf have I done. Same with Larkey. What player in their right mind other than blokes not getting a game would want to play there?

LDU is good in the contest, but an absoloute butcher. I don't think he's a huge need personally.

Judging from last few weeks, I would be surprised if LDU jumps ship and never gets to free agency.

He’s kicking it to stagnant forward line full of plebs. His ball use is no worse than Kelly’s and he is bigger and more explosive than Kelly.

Known quantity, 7 years in the system, perfect ahead of range, about to hit his peak, very high ceiling.

North stinks, and I think they got ass up in the next 12-18 months.

Last edited:
Rather Warner than LDU. Warner is a couple of years younger, West Aussie so a stronger connection to Perth.

Three way deal between Swans, Nth and Eagles

Sydney get LDU
Eagles get Warner
Nth get Pick 2-4 ( depending where we finish)

Nth won’t be able to turn down a high draft pick they love em.

It never happens but would be a good result to get another A grade talent on the books. Bring in Liam Baker too and we are playing finals next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barnetts manager on Gettable saying he expects the contract with the Eagles to get done.

Jeffery’s from GC also mentioned as one teams have interest in. Hope we are one of those. Fits a nice need for us. Reckon he plays AFL against us this week.
Also Konstanly, Angwin and Moyle named as players playing VFL that teams would have interest in.

Funny how they really only mention interstate clubs players.

Angwin could also be a nice fit.

I wonder if the Nisbett regime complained about the fixturing with us being given all these 10am and 11am games? I realise the marquee time slots are supposedly a meritocracy that is reserved the higher performing teams and better games and we won the spoon last year so we are not in that category, but there has to be a limit on how many times you can be given the worst time slot of the week even if you are the reigning spooner. They are not giving the same treatment to North. The sponsors must be p***ed. They are paying for exposure to a national audience for their brands.

Filling in some of the back catalogue.

Trainor had a fantastic opening game to the Talent League season and put all draft watchers on notice. His kicking skills were a particular feature here, direct, attacking and precise.

Reminds me of Sam Butler (ex WCE) in that vid.

Smooth mover, nice kick, almost a little laconic.

No way.

3 weeks ago, this board was talking about how badly we need priority picks, otherwise we will be down the bottom of the ladder for years.

It’s not just money. It’s also success. Harley should tread carefully. Sign a short extension, putting faith in the club to build a list that will
Have sustained success, but also ensure he has options if it is a long and painful/failed rebuild like many are.

2 year extension. If by 2027 we look like a team that can play and win finals, extend for 3 more years.

Nothing has changed. Harley has done his bit so far and we are doing ours, but it’s a long journey. He’d rightly want to see how it pans out.

Once again, you seek to write about a singular view from a united board purely to elevate your sense of being the only correct person. How bazaar! Most of the sensible posters I believe are NOT united in the view you stated. I for one have had numerous discussion on the priority pick and these were with well informed posters are predominantly are mainly angling to manipulate the same mechanisms that Norf were incorrectly given and hence benefit by the rule of precedent. In this case, 2 wrongs should make a right.

I expect you view yourself as being gifted with extreme football intelligent and when there are differing views, you like to play the victim. I digress, so let me get back to my point.

Have you ever read the CBA? If not, let me expand your knowledge base.

Embedded in the CBA is a little known and untried clause. Paraphrasing it - where a player believes AFL rules “unreasonably restrain their trade as a professional footballer” and limit the amount the AFL player should be paid, they can contest that wage.

Restraint of trade and concussion are the 2 standout reasons that were stated to me as to why we have a former lawyer as CEO of the AFL. I suspect Dillon's ears would be listening. He does not want this to go public and we are dealing with an exception, not the norm with HR.

West Coast could go to the AFL with HR's manager and appeal (again this can be done discretely at the very top and hence the Damian Barretts of this world et al can go and get stuffed). Agree to keep it confidential but in effect we get Harley $1-2 million dollars extra for the three years he is already contracted. Agree to keep this concealed in a 5 year extension that will not be leaked. As a club, we are very good at keeping things quiet. The 5 year extension could be at $5-7 million with mechanisms to get him to $8-10 mln (Premierships, Premil Finals, AA, F&B, Brownlow, etc). A creative person will set the contract to ensure it is both lucrative and team encompassing. Remember the CBA starts to more serious jump up in 2025 as does our long term highly prized players.

Rational: As it stands, next year HR would have his earning limited to $310k and this would only be reached if he gets AA, Brownlow and club F&B. I have no doubts that a player triggering all these would earn a load more than $310k hence fair grounds for claiming that for an exceptional player the limitation is too low. I would take you through year 3 but it is a similar picture.

Most importantly is what does HR want to achieve? If it for both team and self, I am sure a good arrangement could be reached.

I also think an extra $1 to 2 mln in his first 3 years is worth a lot and hence we could easily contract out to multiple years where HR gets generously rewarded (rightfully so) but not to the detriment of the entire list.

So maybe next time ask in what world would HR be enticed to sign as against making out you have the inside running.

I wonder if the Nisbett regime complained about the fixturing with us being given all these 10am and 11am games? I realise the marquee time slots are supposedly a meritocracy that is reserved the higher performing teams and better games and we won the spoon last year so we are not in that category, but there has to be a limit on how many times you can be given the worst time slot of the week even if you are the reigning spooner. They are not giving the same treatment to North. The sponsors must be p***ed. They are paying for exposure to a national audience for their brands.
Why would we complain about early away games? We do need to fly back to Perth you know.

Filling in some of the back catalogue.

Trainor had a fantastic opening game to the Talent League season and put all draft watchers on notice. His kicking skills were a particular feature here, direct, attacking and precise.

One video clip and all, but he looks like a certain top 10 pick. A 195cm interceptor who rebounds with skill and composure, yes please. Looks similar to a young Weitering

What player in their right mind other than blokes not getting a game would want to play there?
If you love football and are really good at it but not much else then, while losing sucks, which is better: playing for a crap team for many seasons or being a labourer etc?
There must be many players who set themselves up financially but don’t get to see much action at the pointy end of the season.

In figures released by the AFL to clubs on Monday, it was revealed the average salary of an AFL-listed player in the 2023 season was $441,464, up from $406,105 the previous year.

If you love football and are really good at it but not much else then, while losing sucks, which is better: playing for a crap team for many seasons or being a labourer etc?
There must be many players who set themselves up financially but don’t get to see much action at the pointy end of the season.

In figures released by the AFL to clubs on Monday, it was revealed the average salary of an AFL-listed player in the 2023 season was $441,464, up from $406,105 the previous year.
That was the point, blokes that can’t get a game anywhere else will go there but that’s not going to make them a better side by getting blokes who are ranked 35-44 in another squad.

Harley isn’t gonna sign a 10 year deal just so you can sleep easy at night.

No doubt he is enjoying it at the moment, but he’d be stupid not to keep his options open, and Harley doesn’t seem stupid. What people write on big footy won’t have any impact on that.

By not signing another door remains open. He cops an injury and loses security.

As for keeping options open you create opportunities by signing an extension, even just a two years extra. If he has two extra years added guaranteeing say $3M over his first five seasons he can take that to the bank and borrow that money he needs to buy his first HG franchise.

If he chooses to hold out, he cant borrow much at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back