List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Without going Visy like Carlton did, Harley has another million a year in WA with marketing. Hell even the VIC media is wanting to watch us so his marketability will be national. Unlike Dusty who hides from publicity, HR looks to be able to handle it given how many times he has been the click bait for the Worst Australian

Bring over Yasmin Duursma from the Blue Baggers (get Daisy on the job) and they could give the Beckhams a run for their money on product endorsements

You want the contract to reach RFA. So he is under contract as a pre agent. Then we hold the whip if a team wants him a year before free agency.
Nah if he is out of contract in his 6th year a team would have to pony up big draft capital to get him and you dont have all the stupid ' pay ridiculous overs to get him draft capital free offers ' .

On the other hand we can sign him up for life with a 5-6 year deal ala dustin martin.

It has bitten Richmond in the last 2 years but it was well worth it .

Nah if he is out of contract in his 6th year a team would have to pony up big draft capital to get him and you dont have all the stupid ' pay ridiculous overs to get him draft capital free offers ' .

On the other hand we can sign him up for life with a 5-6 year deal ala dustin martin.

It has bitten Richmond in the last 2 years but it was well worth it .

So we wouldn't be better off negotiating a trade with a player under contract a year before free agency?

No advantage at all?

What would you guys be willing to offer us for Curtin?

Our imbecile coaches seem to think he's a KPD (ie. we drafted him because we missed out on Petty) and he's already looking like a bad fit for where we are at.
This is a tricky one mate...I suppose I could ask what we have that you would want?

Also - Where is that Bookplace Worm?
Great. Now I have the song stuck in my head again.

Fair chance the free agency rules will have changed in seven or eight years time.

Oh Im tipping UFA after 6 or 7 years.

Just so a Vic side can buy Harley for free and we get a pick in the teens.

Sorry. Its a sh!t thought but its just something the VAFL would do.

Thet will argue its a rule that benefits all. But straight away a big Vic club cashes in. Just like the dozens of father sons picked up over the journey.

I'll pop this in here, but you might be out of the running for him now that you're back in form.

It seems that Jack Hutchinson has been generating mid season draft buzz since before the season even began. Hutchinson is a mid sized lead up forward with excellent athletic traits, strong overhead and below his knees. He also has the ability to pull of the spectacular at times.

A million a year is serious coin for a 19 year old, I’m not sure any other first year player has signed for that much before.

It’s a lot for a country kid from I’d imagine a humble well respected country family ( he joked about Long leaving the school and going to a private school ..)
It’d be like winning the Lotto life for anyone at that age ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Did Simmo let slide on Channel 7 tonight that Houghy got a contract extension that has not yet been announced by the club? Or was he referring to a previous deal?

Nice pickup

When I heard that I just thought he’d signed a new one recently and didn’t pay much attention to it

Turns out he last signed an extension over a year ago to 2025 so clearly he’s got a new that’s yet to be announced

Gavin Bell said recently when we announced (I think) Ryan’s extension earlier this year that we wait until a new contract has been lodged with and signed off by the AFL before making it public

So yeah, think Simmo might have let that one slip out early

Wonder if we offer Yeo 2 years sooner than later.

He might be holding out for a 3rd as I think he might get that from other clubs

If we do give him a 3rd it needs to have some games played triggers built in given his age and injury history

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That story that all the media ran with yesterday about how no contract offer has been put to Yeo yet was clearly leaked/planted by his manager. The only two parties who know where the negotiations are at is the club and Yeo's management and there is no way the club would be speaking on or off the record with the media about contract negotiations with a player. Yeo has had a great start to the year and they are trying to strike while the iron is hot and before he gets injured again. It also had the tidbit that Yeo wants a multi year deal and suggested other clubs are circling him which is more evidence it came from his management.

I think a contract with triggers for extra years and extra money based on games played is the way to go. Yeo probably won't be totally happy with that. I am sure he wants guaranteed money. But given how little value the club got out of him during his last contract when he would have been on big money but missed a lot of games i don't think he can complain too much. The injuries are not his fault. But in the world of the AFL you get paid on what club's expect you can produce and he hasn't produced much in the last few years.

Plus at 30 years of age or thereabouts the likelihood that he will want to uproot his and his partners lives and move interstate for an extra year on his contract or a bit more money is pretty low.

That story that all the media ran with yesterday about how no contract offer has been put to Yeo yet was clearly leaked/planted by his manager. The only two parties who know where the negotiations are at is the club and Yeo's management and there is no way the club would be speaking on or off the record with the media about contract negotiations with a player. Yeo has had a great start to the year and they are trying to strike while the iron is hot and before he gets injured again. It also had the tidbit that Yeo wants a multi year deal and suggested other clubs are circling him which is more evidence it came from his management.

I think a contract with triggers for extra years and extra money based on games played is the way to go. Yeo probably won't be totally happy with that. I am sure he wants guaranteed money. But given how little value the club got out of him during his last contract when he would have been on big money but missed a lot of games i don't think he can complain too much. The injuries are not his fault. But in the world of the AFL you get paid on what club's expect you can produce and he hasn't produced much in the last few years.

Plus at 30 years of age or thereabouts the likelihood that he will want to uproot his and his partners lives and move interstate for an extra year on his contract or a bit more money is pretty low.

Agree with this

Would add that he seems quite happy at the moment and pretty invested in working with the young players to turn things around

If i was Harley Reid's parents and a big long contract on more than a million dollars a year was on offer here i would just tell him to sign it, as opposed waiting out his 3 years and then seeing what is on offer. Or doing two years and then signing a two year extension or something. You never know what can happen. You get chronic injuries somewhere really sensitive like the feet or with concussion or do a couple of ACL's and if you are not on a long term contract then all that money goes away in the blink of an eye.

This happens all the time.

Remember 2021 against Collingwood. Oscar kicked 16 goals in 5 games. Back page of the paper was about how VIC clubs are offering 1 million per year including captaincy even though Oscar had another year to run on his deal. We signed him a few weeks later.

2021 Sydney’s interest in Barrass is revealed, despite having a year to run on his deal. We jump the shark and sign him for 5 years.

Waterman unhappy with his deal, apparently we only offered 2 years. Leaks to media. Within a few hours a 3 year deal with incentives.

I’m happy for us to see how Yeo’s first half of the season pans out.

We’re in a stage with things are ever changing with our playing list, in terms of output and availability. Submitting to demands of players who come to the club looking for deals after stringing together 4 good games isn’t a good approach.

We’ve done the right thing by Yeo, publicly supported him through his challenges when AFL world was criticising him. Extended him in 2022 based off very little output in previous 2 years.

Happy to let the first part of the season play out, and if he keeps up this form he can have 2 years at 750K with a games based trigger in his second year for a third.

Agree with this

Would add that he seems quite happy at the moment and pretty invested in working with the young players to turn things around

No contract offer isn’t same as no offer. People need to be careful of weasel words. It just means it wasn’t in writing. Not that there was no offer.

If i was Harley Reid's parents and a big long contract on more than a million dollars a year was on offer here i would just tell him to sign it, as opposed waiting out his 3 years and then seeing what is on offer. Or doing two years and then signing a two year extension or something. You never know what can happen. You get chronic injuries somewhere really sensitive like the feet or with concussion or do a couple of ACL's and if you are not on a long term contract then all that money goes away in the blink of an eye.

No way.

3 weeks ago, this board was talking about how badly we need priority picks, otherwise we will be down the bottom of the ladder for years.

It’s not just money. It’s also success. Harley should tread carefully. Sign a short extension, putting faith in the club to build a list that will
Have sustained success, but also ensure he has options if it is a long and painful/failed rebuild like many are.

2 year extension. If by 2027 we look like a team that can play and win finals, extend for 3 more years.

Nothing has changed. Harley has done his bit so far and we are doing ours, but it’s a long journey. He’d rightly want to see how it pans out.

Last edited:
No way.

3 weeks ago, this board was talking about how badly we need priority picks, otherwise we will be down the bottom of the ladder for years.

It’s not just money. It’s also success. Harley should tread carefully. Sign a short extension, putting faith in the club to build a list that will
Have sustained success, but also ensure he has options if it is a long and painful/failed rebuild like many are.

2 year extension. If by 2027 we look like a team that can play and win finals, extend for 3 more years.

Nothing has changed. Harley has done his bit so far and we are doing ours, but it’s a long journey. He’d rightly want to see how it pans out.
You sound like gary lyon or wheatley.

Naughty boy, posting his weight. Don’t you know this will now cause him mental illness? Generation today prefer to be in denial and not have to deal with things.

Infraction and delist.
Its all muscle he'll be fine xD

No way.

Ffs give him 10 years at $1.5m. With inflation and inflation reduction acts (via spending), that will be the minimum wage in 2034.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back