List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Josh Battle is a UFA this year and one I wouldn't min us targeting. Won't be massively expensive but is a good player and an upgrade on what we have.

I’ve been thinking about this a little recently and I’m starting to wonder if the meteoric rise of Harley requires us expedite the rebuild a little.

I don’t want us just throwing offers at anyone but I do feel for the right players we should definitely be using next years picks now if we can.

The area of biggest need for me is our KPP stocks. Both forward and back.

I would be throwing a monster offer at Logan McDonald. Enough to make it very uncomfortable for the Swans and to price out Freo.

I would also be in Busslingers managers ear now telling him we are fully commited to trading for him and he has a position ready to go Round 1 next year.

I would be chasing Liam Baker hard as well. He fits the age profile, has a good 6-7 years of football left and most importantly is a tough little son of a bitch that will fit what we are trying to do with the list.

Lastly I would be trying to draft one more high impact midfielder, someone with clean disposal and good all around game. Smith, Moraes and Draper comes to mind.

So how do we accomplish all of this?

Well it depends on how high/low we finish.

At the moment it looks like O’Sullivan and Smilie will go 1 & 2. Smilie is surplus to our midfielder needs and as much as I’d like O’Sullivan I think there are a handful of midfielders that are reasonably comparable to him.

I doubt we finish bottom two based on recent form so I will assume we finish 14th-16th

Trade our first and move down a couple of places in the draft, one of our preferred Mids will still be available. Would love a late first for doing so but would probably be an early second at best depending on where we finish/how far the slide.

Offer the better of our two seconds for Baker, we may need to cough up a little more but it wouldn’t be much. Offer the other for Busslinger.

I would be offering the Suns our future first for their lowest pick. They want point for next year and depending on the rule changes might want to get rid of it for fear someone might bid on Lombard and they are forced to use it. The future pick could also be offered to Swans directly.

Would Swans prefer two middle firsts for McDonald (Freo) or the lowest first they can get? Time will tell.

If we were somehow able to pull all of this off it would look something like this.

OUT: Round 1 pick, (Traded for sliding First and extra second rounder) Round 2 pick. Future first round pick.

IN:
First Round pick (Smith, Draper, Moraes)
Liam Baker
Logan McDonald
Jess Busslinger

I doubt we pull off even half of this but you don’t know if you don’t try and this is where my focus would be.

I’ve been thinking about this a little recently and I’m starting to wonder if the meteoric rise of Harley requires us expedite the rebuild a little.

I don’t want us just throwing offers at anyone but I do feel for the right players we should definitely be using next years picks now if we can.

The area of biggest need for me is our KPP stocks. Both forward and back.

I would be throwing a monster offer at Logan McDonald. Enough to make it very uncomfortable for the Swans and to price out Freo.

I would also be in Busslingers managers ear now telling him we are fully commited to trading for him and he has a position ready to go Round 1 next year.

I would be chasing Liam Baker hard as well. He fits the age profile, has a good 6-7 years of football left and most importantly is a tough little son of a bitch that will fit what we are trying to do with the list.

Lastly I would be trying to draft one more high impact midfielder, someone with clean disposal and good all around game. Smith, Moraes and Draper comes to mind.

So how do we accomplish all of this?

Well it depends on how high/low we finish.

At the moment it looks like O’Sullivan and Smilie will go 1 & 2. Smilie is surplus to our midfielder needs and as much as I’d like O’Sullivan I think there are a handful of midfielders that are reasonably comparable to him.

I doubt we finish bottom two based on recent form so I will assume we finish 14th-16th

Trade our first and move down a couple of places in the draft, one of our preferred Mids will still be available. Would love a late first for doing so but would probably be an early second at best depending on where we finish/how far the slide.

Offer the better of our two seconds for Baker, we may need to cough up a little more but it wouldn’t be much. Offer the other for Busslinger.

I would be offering the Suns our future first for their lowest pick. They want point for next year and depending on the rule changes might want to get rid of it for fear someone might bid on Lombard and they are forced to use it. The future pick could also be offered to Swans directly.

Would Swans prefer two middle firsts for McDonald (Freo) or the lowest first they can get? Time will tell.

If we were somehow able to pull all of this off it would look something like this.

OUT: Round 1 pick, (Traded for sliding First and extra second rounder) Round 2 pick. Future first round pick.

IN:
First Round pick (Smith, Draper, Moraes)
Liam Baker
Logan McDonald
Jess Busslinger

I doubt we pull off even half of this but you don’t know if you don’t try and this is where my focus would be.

Great in theory but probably unders for the players you list.

But to the point of whether Harley means we have to expedite our rebuild - yes and no. We will look less and less likely (hopefully) to get the spoon again (24 or 25). By extension we have a slightly less valuable selection which does move into the more tradeable range (I.e. teams will trade pick 5 for a gun, but not sure pick 1 has ever been traded for a player… certainly not recently).

The concern/risk is 2025 for me. Any drop off from Yeo and/or Kelly would have significant implications on our finishing position. Reid can’t do it all alone. So is the 2024 improved form repeatable for the remainder of the year and into next year?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

But to the point of whether Harley means we have to expedite our rebuild - yes and no. We will look less and less likely (hopefully) to get the spoon again (24 or 25). By extension we have a slightly less valuable selection which does move into the more tradeable range (I.e. teams will trade pick 5 for a gun, but not sure pick 1 has ever been traded for a player… certainly not recently).

The concern/risk is 2025 for me. Any drop off from Yeo and/or Kelly would have significant implications on our finishing position. Reid can’t do it all alone. So is the 2024 improved form repeatable for the remainder of the year and into next year?

Don’t think it’s too much unders. McDonald is probably a little ambitious if he continues to have a career best year. Key forwards always go for a packet so you could argue two firsts might be needed but Busslinger hasn’t played at all in the 1’s. No way Dogs can ask a first for him after two years if they haven’t played him.

Baker is an interesting one. I think 20-25 is the range for him, others might disagree but he’s not worth a middle first round pick.

As for the health of our list, we’ll anything can happen. We can’t bank on it but that’s why I want to speed this up a little too.

Securing a few young keys without the need to draft them will help massively.

Busslinger will fill the void of Gov.
Mcdonald will fill the void of Darling.
Baker will fill the void of Yeo.

They are not like for like replacements but with a little rejigging of the side the drop off won’t be anywhere near as severe.

Last edited:
Just watched the replay, huge game from Barrass. Anyone still arguing that he’s cooked and worth nothing?

He was really good. Not sure he’s cooked either but his issue is playing too loose on his man.

On the weekend his player went down and was then able to fly for marks without the worry of his opponent being hit up.

Should be going after a player like Collard, Darcy Jones, or Riley Garcia.
Collard contracted until 2025 and Darcy Jones 2026

Garcia busslinger and kaleb Smith all OOC

Guys like garcia and Kaleb Smith were late national draft picks and should cost us 4th rounders .

Busslinger who was pick 13 in 2022 should be worth our 2nd rounder this year or a future 2nd

100% on the importance of Yeo.

Next in line would be Duggan, Ginbey, Culley maybe then Hewett.

None have the impact of Yeo atm. Do we just pick Smillie to help shoulder the load and keep driving the ball forward from contests?

There are several powerful inside mids this draft who are more defensive but are good by hand. Feel we should use a 1st on another mid with leg speed who can win a contest.

Flex the cheque book and cap space and get Parfitt and Ben Miller across as two UFA's. A R Garcia for a F4th. Before we are allowed to pay Harley mega bucks.

Zuurhar another big bodied option who would help carry the load.

And we still generate 3 top 30 picks to use on a inside mid, a running HBF and KP defender. Or the use the later 1st to trade for Baker.

Last edited:
This could be a silly suggestion, but I wonder if we should be cheeky and start asking about Zach Reid.

His contract ends in 2025 and could make sense?
And then recruit Murphy Reid in this year's draft.
Nobody will suspect anything, until it's too late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t think it’s too much unders. McDonald is probably a little ambitious if he continues to have a career best year. Key forwards always go for a packet so you could argue two firsts might be needed
McDonald will cost us our first round pick this year (be it pick 2-6). Sydney will not be accepting a trade for pick 10 or lower.
Whether we are prepared to pay our first rounder is another question.

Why would we give up the world for Curtin when busslinger is OOC and pretty much the same player ?

If anything busslinger was a better intercept mark and more damaging kick as a junior
Curtin is a better 3rd /loose tall and playmaker. Also mid talk but once again he's not throwing his weight around- is basically a less nimble Sheed.

Buss is a better KPP and interceptor.

The AFL these days really over value uncontested ability and focus at times on the wrong things.

If we can get Bazzo to be better 1 on 1 then that goes a lomg way to filling a spot

I wouldn't be paying English a million a year.

Let's have a look at BW and Flynn.
Agree with this. Flynn and BWilliams were flying with the combo before Flynn’s injury.

If there’s money we should spend it should be thrown at Baker + keeping Yeo and Duggo then from there see where the other guys are at but that’s probably the main 3 priorities right now

I suspect outs will look something like;

• gaff retired
  • JJ delisted
  • one of hedwards, CJ OR Bazzo desisted or moved to rookie list
  • zane trew delisted
  • luke Edwards delisted
  • baker delisted

I think darling retiring would be best for team but understand he has 1 year left. To me, whilst he is really putting in effort his body is slowing down and I don't think another year on will improve this. I also think we got enough kids pushing for his position.

I'm also quite worried that if burgiel cops another injury his career could be in jeopardy. Really hope I'm wrong on this one tho. If not I feel like for list balance one of rotham or witho may be out, although I think both are good enough to stay.

Back