List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
What would you guys be willing to offer us for Curtin?

Our imbecile coaches seem to think he's a KPD (ie. we drafted him because we missed out on Petty) and he's already looking like a bad fit for where we are at.

I assumed most people knew Taylor was FA next year, so obviously that’s when you pursue him. At which point, our defence would be set. Next time I’ll spell it out more slowly.
GWS are on top of the ladder currently and are therefore likely to be top 4 next year.

Assuming we got Taylor to request a trade to go from the top club to last years wooden spooner (and that is a big if), do you think they will be happy to let him come to us as a FA and get a pick in the 15 - 20 range for him from the AFL as FA compensation, or do you think it is more likely that they would match whatever offer we put and force us to trade for him and would be looking for two top 10 picks from us?

I think it i pretty obvious that even if we got Taylor to request a trade to our club the FA compo GWS would get would be well less than his market value and therefore they will make us trade for him. Clubs only let FA's walk if the expected compo is at least comparable to (if not better than) what the player is worth.

Also why on earth would the Crom be offloading D.Curtin? They gave up their F2 for a 3 pick upgrade in order to select him just 5 months ago.

He will be very important in determining whether Adelaide will need to bottom out entirely.

It would be like West Coast trading A.Reid, except that Adelaide paid a much higher price for D.Curtin.
JHF was a much more "why would they trade him out" and North relented in the end. In the end if Curtin doesnt want to be there, then Crows cant really do too much about it but move on.

I dont think Nicks knows what planet he is on so F2 for 3 pick upgrade isnt saying much.

Id bring him in as McGoverns heir apparent but beginning time more on a HBF/wing. Somewhere in the next 2-3 drafts we need to take a risk and trade a F1st to bring in a good quality young player to get ahead of the curve. Think Curtin is ideal for that

GWS are on top of the ladder currently and are therefore likely to be top 4 next year.

Assuming we got Taylor to request a trade to go from the top club to last years wooden spooner (and that is a big if), do you think they will be happy to let him come to us as a FA and get a pick in the 15 - 20 range for him from the AFL as FA compensation, or do you think it is more likely that they would match whatever offer we put and force us to trade for him and would be looking for two top 10 picks from us?

I think it i pretty obvious that even if we got Taylor to request a trade to our club the FA compo GWS would get would be well less than his market value and therefore they will make us trade for him. Clubs only let FA's walk if the expected compo is at least comparable to (if not better than) what the player is worth.
You do realise that if GWS match it they have to pay it? There’s no way they can afford what we’re going to offer him.

You would match it and trade someone else. Would be more logical to move on Lachie Whitfield to say Essendon for a first rounder
I’m expecting an offer somewhere near $2m a year for the first two years then tapering to $1m+/year. Even getting Whitfield off the books still wouldn’t be enough with their list, not to mention how important he is for their attack setup. Matching it would totally destroy their cap and I’m sure the AFL could see it’s not affordable.

Zurhaar and SPP coming in next year would be good.

A couple of enforcers to roam the forward 50 and roll through the middle with the young BSD's Harley & Hewett.

Could probably get them for picks in the 25-35 range.

Right age profile, right attitude, right roles.

Would prefer to get those two for the same price that we would pay for Baker the hobbit.

Port is looming as the more likely destination for Lukosius, should he leave Gold Coast - which itself looks unlikely.

C.Dixon will be 34 by season's end, out of contract, and likely to retire.

Lukosius will surely be a potential replacement that is targeted by Port.

Doubt Gold Coast would be willing to entertain anything on this front however - he [Lukosius] is contracted for two more years and is living with M.Rowell who comes out of contract in 2025. Can't see the Suns doing anything that could potentially upset Rowell whilst that contract expiry is approaching.
I'm wondering why Lukosius hasn't bought his own place yet.

Zurhaar and SPP coming in next year would be good.

A couple of enforcers to roam the forward 50 and roll through the middle with the young BSD's Harley & Hewett.

Could probably get them for picks in the 25-35 range.

Right age profile, right attitude, right roles.

Would prefer to get those two for the same price that we would pay for Baker the hobbit.
Norf board reckons they can get band 1 for him and thus, pick 2, lmfao.

We really need to use this draft to address positional needs (KPD, HBF/wing) however I’m very comfortable using our resources next year to try and advance our list maturity wise. If we had pick 1 for example to use as part of a trade for a 22yo Sheldrick, Co Warner and 24yo Chad Warner I’d prefer that than getting the best 18yo mid in the draft that will take 6 years to get to Chad Warner’s level.
My only query is what are we going to do with so many midfielders? If we assume that Ginbey will be solid, Hewett will be good and Reid naturally will be the main piece in there, Sheldrick + Warnerx2 will be too many mids. Throw in Hall/2024 1st pick, plus Kelly will still be there for a few years yet, Yeo could be phased back into half back so he wont take a spot. Ginbey/Hewett/Reid/Chad Warner is 4, could realistically fit 1 more midfielder into the rotation.
Sheldrick and Corey Warner will expect midfield time, but I dont see how they get it unless something happens to one of our other young mids.

If we got the Warner x2 OR sheldrick that might work better, then find another position. I like the idea, just wary of doing a North and over investing in midfielders, while neglecting defenders

My only query is what are we going to do with so many midfielders? If we assume that Ginbey will be solid, Hewett will be good and Reid naturally will be the main piece in there, Sheldrick + Warnerx2 will be too many mids. Throw in Hall/2024 1st pick, plus Kelly will still be there for a few years yet, Yeo could be phased back into half back so he wont take a spot. Ginbey/Hewett/Reid/Chad Warner is 4, could realistically fit 1 more midfielder into the rotation.
Sheldrick and Corey Warner will expect midfield time, but I dont see how they get it unless something happens to one of our other young mids.

If we got the Warner x2 OR sheldrick that might work better, then find another position. I like the idea, just wary of doing a North and over investing in midfielders, while neglecting defenders
Unlike North, we actually have a number of KPP options already, so picking up extra mids isn't really much of an issue for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hewett and Reid will rotate through HFF/deep forward and Ginbey HBF/wing (needs to improve disposal). Warner bros probably enough but Sheldrick would be nice. Midfield would be set and forget and it’s probably a bit optimistic to suggest every single one of those players is going to make it as a bona fide AFL mid, they might end up on flanks or wings. Only thing is that group lacks enough elite disposal and outside run, we’d need to make sure we make up for that with the HBF and wingers.

Unlike North, we actually have a number of KPP options already, so picking up extra mids isn't really much of an issue for us.
I mean quality KPDs more than anything, our good half back options are minimal too. Whats our backline going to look like if Gov and TB arent there for whatever reason? We lack an elite kick off half back too, maybe Ryan or Burgiel can come in and do this role but they are unproven back there for now.
Sounds like the top of the draft are all mids, so I assume we will grab one, that should be our midfield pretty much finished. We will have spent 4 years worth of first round picks on our midfield, if we trade 2025 picks for more mids, then that makes 5 years. I dont think we need more top talent in there, just some depth and average players around our high draft pick mids to fill the gaps.

If we can grab a KPD/HB/Curtin/Buss this off season or somehow lure Taylor/Curtin next year then all good

Hewett and Reid will rotate through HFF/deep forward and Ginbey HBF/wing (needs to improve disposal). Warner bros probably enough but Sheldrick would be nice. Midfield would be set and forget and it’s probably a bit optimistic to suggest every single one of those players is going to make it as a bona fide AFL mid, they might end up on flanks or wings. Only thing is that group lacks enough elite disposal and outside run, we’d need to make sure we make up for that with the HBF and wingers.
Why would we rotate our best players out of the midfield for prolonged periods just to fit some average players in there? I fully expect in 3 years time for Reid and Hewett to both be 60%+ CBAs every single week, and Ginbey only to be the 3rd winger when somebody is on the bench(if not full time inside mid), but definitely mostly in the middle. We have a first round pick this year which will probably be a midfielder too. Sheldrick/Chad Warner will expect big time in there too, leaves very little room for another, mainly just the odd rotation from a HF or HB to get a run in the middle.
That would still leave a heap of time for Hewett/Reid to sit forward anyway.

Good teams seem to run a midfield mix of 4-5 players. Port 5 mids, GWS 4 with 2-3 HFFs getting some time in there, Brisbane 3 with huge mid time with 2 HFFs getting some time in there, Carlton with 4 mids, etc

did anyone watch the first half of the young guns vs
Vic metro game? In particular Ben Hopkins?

Why would we rotate our best players out of the midfield for prolonged periods just to fit some average players in there? I fully expect in 3 years time for Reid and Hewett to both be 60%+ CBAs every single week, and Ginbey only to be the 3rd winger when somebody is on the bench(if not full time inside mid), but definitely mostly in the middle. We have a first round pick this year which will probably be a midfielder too. Sheldrick/Chad Warner will expect big time in there too, leaves very little room for another, mainly just the odd rotation from a HF or HB to get a run in the middle.
That would still leave a heap of time for Hewett/Reid to sit forward anyway.

Good teams seem to run a midfield mix of 4-5 players. Port 5 mids, GWS 4 with 2-3 HFFs getting some time in there, Brisbane 3 with huge mid time with 2 HFFs getting some time in there, Carlton with 4 mids, etc
I’m bullish on Hewett but no one has seen enough of him at AFL level to say he’s going to be a 60% CBA mid. Good sides also have good midfield squad depth, Sheldrick and Co Warner provide that in the event of them not breaking into B22 with a fully fit list. Yeo and TK are our only senior mids on our list, Gaff cooked and Sheed won’t play anywhere other than wing/HFF. I don’t think the proposed midfield list would be an overindulgence, the only thing I’d be concerned about is the outside run and disposal which we’d need to address in HBF and wings.

I’m bullish on Hewett but no one has seen enough of him at AFL level to say he’s going to be a 60% CBA mid. Good sides also have good midfield squad depth, Sheldrick and Co Warner provide that in the event of them not breaking into B22 with a fully fit list. Yeo and TK are our only senior mids on our list, Gaff cooked and Sheed won’t play anywhere other than wing/HFF. I don’t think the proposed midfield list would be an overindulgence, the only thing I’d be concerned about is the outside run and disposal which we’d need to address in HBF and wings.
In 2025/2026 offseason when this theoretically might happen, Ginbey and Hewett will be going into their 4th years, Reid into his 3rd. Yes theyre still young, but they wont be kids anymore. Kelly will still be around as a senior mid, only turning 32 in 2026, Yeo if still around probably gets phased out of the midfield.

Why would Sheldrick and Co Warner move across the country if they are not guaranteed a better chance at midfield time? Theyll have a better shot at breaking into the Swans midfield once Parker and Adams get moved on than breaking into our midfield stacked with first round picks.

Sure we havent seen enough to know for sure with Hewett, but for now its safe to assume he will predominantly be a midfielder.
If we follow Port as a rough template, they have 5 mids in their 22 each week plus their wingers. If we run with Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, 2025 1st pick, and 1 more, thats us full up. We have other players who can pinch hit in the midfield, and we will have other kids drafted who can be our depth.
Imo there is no point trying to find our 6th and 7th midfielders when we still lack other positions

In 2025/2026 offseason when this theoretically might happen, Ginbey and Hewett will be going into their 4th years, Reid into his 3rd. Yes theyre still young, but they wont be kids anymore. Kelly will still be around as a senior mid, only turning 32 in 2026, Yeo if still around probably gets phased out of the midfield.

Why would Sheldrick and Co Warner move across the country if they are not guaranteed a better chance at midfield time? Theyll have a better shot at breaking into the Swans midfield once Parker and Adams get moved on than breaking into our midfield stacked with first round picks.

Sure we havent seen enough to know for sure with Hewett, but for now its safe to assume he will predominantly be a midfielder.
If we follow Port as a rough template, they have 5 mids in their 22 each week plus their wingers. If we run with Reid, Ginbey, Hewett, 2025 1st pick, and 1 more, thats us full up. We have other players who can pinch hit in the midfield, and we will have other kids drafted who can be our depth.
Imo there is no point trying to find our 6th and 7th midfielders when we still lack other positions
And that’s a reasonable position to take however each piece of the puzzle is not going to be presented to you in the ideal order so when a few pieces are available that you will need later, I reckon you have to take them.

*Not to be confused with North who have about 10 versions of the same two pieces.

Haven't seen a single game this year, is Ginbey living up to the hype or still to early to say?
In the WC highlights I've seen he just always seems to be hanging around the edges of the packs, has he been getting in there using all the muscle that was talked up in the preseason?
Still early days I know but hopefully he's progressing.

did anyone watch the first half of the young guns vs
Vic metro game? In particular Ben Hopkins?
Watched the game whilst doing other things.
Saw Hopkins but mostly when he was kicking out.
Thought Smartt was best for the Young Guns. Shipp, O'Leary, Payne, Murray and Poole also good.
Anderson the best for Metro who were considerably out-pointed.

Haven't seen a single game this year, is Ginbey living up to the hype or still to early to say?
In the WC highlights I've seen he just always seems to be hanging around the edges of the packs, has he been getting in there using all the muscle that was talked up in the preseason?
Still early days I know but hopefully he's progressing.
Hes been the 4th inside mid(47% CBAs), playing a lot of wing too. Hes had moments, but probably playing a better role this year, now that Yeo is in the middle. I believe theyre trying to get him to use some of his athleticism and find the ball on the outside. Hes going at 15 touches and 5 tackles a game, I think its progress

And that’s a reasonable position to take however each piece of the puzzle is not going to be presented to you in the ideal order so when a few pieces are available that you will need later, I reckon you have to take them.

*Not to be confused with North who have about 10 versions of the same two pieces.
Thats fair, and I guess the trade you mentioned isnt a thing until end of 2025 anyway. We will know where we stand by then surely

Getting Chad Warner, if that’s part of the deal, would cost us our 2025 first, so that’s one less to consider in terms of rotation. If you’re only talking Corey and Sheldrick, we’ll then you use the 2025 first to get Curtin or another position of need. There’s definitely ways to make it work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back