List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Would love to know what you disagree with in this post Obeanie1
Considering Bailey's hit out win % is 2nd last out of recognised ruckmen in the AFL at the moment and his hit out to advantage % is 4th last.

I rate BW's centre bounce taps. I would like to know how effective he is at centre bouces where he can run and jump. He has been providing very good advantage to our mids at centre bounces.

He is really starting to run, jump and take big marks. Reaaly stands out. And also good at ground level following up at center bounces.

I feel he will improve his forward craft when he gets an extended run at working on it and working with our forwards more. Currently he gets put there after carrying the ruck load and is pretty tanked when he gets there.

Bring in a big #1 ruck and use BW less on ball. He can win centre bounces and ruck in the forward 50 when playing forward. Flynn plays a kick behind play.

Thats the #1 set up ATM.

Very interested to see if a BW with more fuel in the tank playing forward can improve his forward craft. Less fatigue I hope will improve his set shots as would playing closer to goal.

Are we allowed to trade both 2nd and 3rd rounders in the same draft is my question?

Dont we need to get AFL approval?

Or is that trading a 1st and a 2nd in the same draft?

A moot point as Im sure the AFL would allow it as one player is only 21 and the other makes us more competitive straight away.

In fact it would be very unwise to block a request from us like that even if the AFL could. It would be a shocking look if the AFL kept shovelling assistance and support to top teams from expansion states and then blocked a bottom club from trading to improve. What other options do we have?
Yes you are.

What you are asking, only applies to future picks.

But come the following trade period (so the future becomes the now), there’s no restrictions on trading any of your current picks.

No way we're trading waterman, ridiculous, but who knows if this rich vein of form continues or not
If Flynn comes in,stays healthy and kills it the main dilemma is darling playing in the wafl til retirement
Obviously if BWilliams doesn't show enough forward craft then he'll be the most likely to be traded out as he'll have the most value as a ruck.
Hopefully AReid comes on as I cant see JWilliams making it
Livingstone is an interesting one, he's a real wait and see

Hoping we get Baker this off-season and Buss.not sure how realistic it is tho to get them both .
Is trey Ruscoe good enough to be thrown a rookie spot?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I rate BW's centre bounce taps. I would like to know how effective he is at centre bouces where he can run and jump. He has been providing very good advantage to our mids at centre bounces.

He is really starting to run, jump and take big marks. Reaaly stands out. And also good at ground level following up at center bounces.

I feel he will improve his forward craft when he gets an extended run at working on it and working with our forwards more. Currently he gets put there after carrying the ruck load and is pretty tanked when he gets there.

Bring in a big #1 ruck and use BW less on ball. He can win centre bounces and ruck in the forward 50 when playing forward. Flynn plays a kick behind play.

Thats the #1 set up ATM.

Very interested to see if a BW with more fuel in the tank playing forward can improve his forward craft. Less fatigue I hope will improve his set shots as would playing closer to goal.
So....doesn't seem like you disagree with much of what I actually said...

Also, if we assume you're correct about him providing a very good advantage to our mids at centre bounces he must be winning next to no ruck contests around the ground for his hit out win % and hit out to advantage % to be so low.

No way we're trading waterman, ridiculous, but who knows if this rich vein of form continues or not
If Flynn comes in,stays healthy and kills it the main dilemma is darling playing in the wafl til retirement
Obviously if BWilliams doesn't show enough forward craft then he'll be the most likely to be traded out as he'll have the most value as a ruck.

Hoping we get Baker this off-season and Buss.not sure how realistic it is tho to get them both .

Would prefer Buss over Baker if it was a choice of one over the other.
Don't reckon Ruscoe is worth a spot to be honest, think he'd get one or two years, a handful of games and be de-listed. Would rather not waste a spot on that kind of player.

Last edited:

No to Ruscoe. Yeah we like his personality and attitude/leadership in the WAFL, but his level is state league imo

Would prefer Buss over Baker if it was a choice of one over the other.
Don't reckon Ruscoe is worth a spot to be honest, think he'd get one or two years a handful of games and be de-listed. Would rather not waste a spot on that kind of player.

100% Buss over Baker. Whilst a good, versatile player in his own right the main thing I see Baker offering is midfield cover if Yeo or TK go down but as far as I’m concerned there is no greater list need for us above a young KPD.

100% Buss over Baker. Whilst a good, versatile player in his own right the main thing I see Baker offering is midfield cover if Yeo or TK go down but as far as I’m concerned there is no greater list need for us above a young KPD.

Hopefully Matt Clarke has a more creative approach to trading than our previous list managers.

There’s no reason we can’t trade 25 for Essendon’s 32 + F2 and then trade 32 for Buss and our F2 for Baker for example.

While we aren’t going to finish 18th I think we will still finish low enough that the PSD gives us some leverage in trades like it did for Adelaide when they traded for Dawson.

• I think Maric would be better off as our third tall defender since he looks elite by foot and we've been missing an elite backline distributor in Jetta and Hurn. The team is stacked with key forwards and him playing as a forward makes us too tall especially if we are playing a high press fast ball movement gameplan, we need more smaller players to execute.
  • I love Darling and what he's done to the club but unfortunately he looks off at the moment although he could get better later in the season. But if Allen and Flynn comes back, no chance Waterman makes way since he's in great form. I would not be playing more than three key talls otherwise the team will be too top heavy which isn't ideal for a fast press gameplan and on the wet and teams can hurt us on the transition more.
  • If we get Flynn and Allen back, I think J.Williams and Darling would have to make way for them. Maric could replace Witherden or Rotham down back since we need an elite ball distributor by foot to help transition the ball forward plus that would give us a third tall defender to help support Gov and Barrass but the big question is could Maric play defence?
  • If Darling and Gaff want to go then we honour their trade request and try to get the best value out of them (We probably won't get much FA compo with Gaff though). But personally I would want to keep Darling since he would be a crucial mentor to our younger players. Gaff is the one we could afford to go but I wouldn't melt if we kept him another year on a much lower one year contract to play WAFL to help mentor the kids as well and to play if we have an injury crisis at senior level.
I have a feeling the team will improve it's ladder position if it continues to play well but lose out to the more prime experienced teams so we could have any from picks 5-9. Regarding D.Robertson well the ship for him has sailed although if it's clear that he will be behind Ashcrofts, Fletcher and co then good luck to him in the VFL although we could get him cheaply despite being under contract. However the future is bright and we'll win another flag before Freo will. I can imagine them pay two or three first rounders for L.McDonald only for him to flop at Freo like with Hogan lol.

Would love to have LDU but I'd be very surprised if we are even in contention for him especially if he's willing to move to Perth to play for us. We have a much better chance of getting Baker since he's Western Australian. I would also be surprised if we can get C.Warner too. Those players would improve the 22 if they come. We could use the PSD threat for Buss if we finish low enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming that’s the case and Barnett’s deal gets done as per his manager then (rookies aside) that only leaves Burgiel and JWilliams left that I’d like to see re-signed. Would be very tidy work to get all the deals done this early in the year.

2R+4R for Busslinger and Garcia then that just leaves us to figure out what to do with our 1R and get Perryman as a FA.

Garcia is not a big need I would just take JBuss ..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

• I think Maric would be better off as our third tall defender since he looks elite by foot and we've been missing an elite backline distributor in Jetta and Hurn. The team is stacked with key forwards and him playing as a forward makes us too tall especially if we are playing a high press fast ball movement gameplan, we need more smaller players to execute.
  • I love Darling and what he's done to the club but unfortunately he looks off at the moment although he could get better later in the season. But if Allen and Flynn comes back, no chance Waterman makes way since he's in great form. I would not be playing more than three key talls otherwise the team will be too top heavy which isn't ideal for a fast press gameplan and on the wet and teams can hurt us on the transition more.
  • If we get Flynn and Allen back, I think J.Williams and Darling would have to make way for them. Maric could replace Witherden or Rotham down back since we need an elite ball distributor by foot to help transition the ball forward plus that would give us a third tall defender to help support Gov and Barrass but the big question is could Maric play defence?
  • If Darling and Gaff want to go then we honour their trade request and try to get the best value out of them (We probably won't get much FA compo with Gaff though). But personally I would want to keep Darling since he would be a crucial mentor to our younger players. Gaff is the one we could afford to go but I wouldn't melt if we kept him another year on a much lower one year contract to play WAFL to help mentor the kids as well and to play if we have an injury crisis at senior level.
I have a feeling the team will improve it's ladder position if it continues to play well but lose out to the more prime experienced teams so we could have any from picks 5-9. Regarding D.Robertson well the ship for him has sailed although if it's clear that he will be behind Ashcrofts, Fletcher and co then good luck to him in the VFL although we could get him cheaply despite being under contract. However the future is bright and we'll win another flag before Freo will. I can imagine them pay two or three first rounders for L.McDonald only for him to flop at Freo like with Hogan lol.

Would love to have LDU but I'd be very surprised if we are even in contention for him especially if he's willing to move to Perth to play for us. We have a much better chance of getting Baker since he's Western Australian. I would also be surprised if we can get C.Warner too. Those players would improve the 22 if they come. We could use the PSD threat for Buss if we finish low enough.
I get where you're coming from re Maric for sure BUT he looked really good up forward last week.
JD really is on his last legs and Maric seems the perfect replacement.

We do need an elite distributor too but my hope is Ryan really grows into that role.
He's a brilliant field kick, can be very creative and se things most don't. Hopefully a new lease on life in a new role.

We have to be super aggressive and would love LDU along with Zuurhar actually. We have the currency, we're a power club and some will want to play alongside Harley too.

Add Buss and someone like Perryman too.

It's going to be a very exciting D+T period for us this year.

I get where you're coming from re Maric for sure BUT he looked really good up forward last week.

We do need an elite distributor too but my hope is Ryan really grows into that role.
He's a brilliant field kick, can be very creative and se things most don't. Hopefully a new lease on life in a new role.

We have to be super aggressive and would love LDU along with Zuurhar actually. We have the currency, we're a power club and some will want to play alongside Harley too.

We should definitely be throwing lots of money at LDU would compliment what we have in midfield nicely

Busslinger is a good ball user, Baker can also hit a pass lace out and Ryan down back could bear some fruit. If Burgiel can continue to develop he is also a good ball user from back half. Things are starting to look positive in that area.

I think our biggest weakness is our wingman currently

Our wings are definitely an area of weakness in our current B22. We do have some option in the WAFL, which hopefully we can develop
In to AFL quality players. Johnston is looking great, but his body isn’t currently ready, Burgiel and even Dewar have attributes that could see them play on the wing.

Does anybody know how and when the soft cap came into being?

Was it actually debated and agreed to by the clubs during normal times, or was it brought in via the backdoor as a temporary emergency measure during the Scamdemic and then the AFL refused to get rid of it when Covid ended?

Does anybody know how and when the soft cap came into being?

Was it actually debated and agreed to by the clubs during normal times, or was it brought in via the backdoor as a temporary emergency measure during the Scamdemic and then the AFL refused to get rid of it when Covid ended?

Soft cap was first introduced for the 2015 season as an equalisation measure due to spiraling football department costs

It was significantly reduced (>25%) for the 2021 season after adjustments were made on the run in 2020. Since then it has been increased slightly but remains well below pre covid levels

Not sure how much it was debated before being brought in but bigger clubs have regularly pushed for it to be increased with smaller clubs sandbagging those efforts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back