List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Wonder how Briz is going.........

Is that the 5th loss this season for the unstoppable Lions........:think:;):oops:o_O

Someone needs to start pedelling faster on the academy production line it seems.

Or maybe look at quality control?

Great believer in karma.
You would have to be asking Tunstill if he wants to stay at a club on the way down or swap to a club heading upwards!

I rate BW and think he has alot of improvement as a forward still to be seen.

You and others seem to be writing him off.

Thats where we differ in opions.
People seem forget how bad a kick Dean Cox was early in his career. Missing goals from 15m out. So I agree with you, the load he has at his age I think he will be okay.

Question from a list perspective - would Smilie be our Tom Green?

No way we're trading waterman, ridiculous, but who knows if this rich vein of form continues or not
If Flynn comes in,stays healthy and kills it the main dilemma is darling playing in the wafl til retirement
Obviously if BWilliams doesn't show enough forward craft then he'll be the most likely to be traded out as he'll have the most value as a ruck.
Hopefully AReid comes on as I cant see JWilliams making it
Livingstone is an interesting one, he's a real wait and see

Hoping we get Baker this off-season and Buss.not sure how realistic it is tho to get them both .
Is trey Ruscoe good enough to be thrown a rookie spot?

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Baker will cost us. Busslinger will be very cheap. I'm on the busslinger side.

Players I would be targeting:

Alex Davies - Been mentioned before. Not getting a consistent game at the suns & he’s still only 22. Someone ??? on this forum did some analytics that he might be one to target.

Issac Cummings - Out of contract & GWS fans seem to rate him. He’s the right age bracket (25) & a smooth mover. Giants are loaded so maybe get Flynn in his ear. He’s also on the FA list.

Busslinger - Unproven WA kid with plenty of talent. KPP crunch at bulldogs so one to target. Could be a bargain.

Baker - Would cost the most but he’s a good player. Likely that Freo win out but we will at least put in an offer.

Zurharr - If we are going to go after a FA I’d rather it be Zurharr than English who we don’t need. Tough & would really add something to the team.

Players I would be targeting:

Alex Davies - Been mentioned before. Not getting a consistent game at the suns & he’s still only 22. Someone ??? on this forum did some analytics that he might be one to target.

Issac Cummings - Out of contract & GWS fans seem to rate him. He’s the right age bracket (25) & a smooth mover. Giants are loaded so maybe get Flynn in his ear. He’s also on the FA list.

Busslinger - Unproven WA kid with plenty of talent. KPP crunch at bulldogs so one to target. Could be a bargain.

Baker - Would cost the most but he’s a good player. Likely that Freo win out but we will at least put in an offer.

Zurharr - If we are going to go after a FA I’d rather it be Zurharr than English who we don’t need. Tough & would really add something to the team.
Yes, I was thinking of Alex Davies the other. Talented player, just can't crack the GC team and would cost nothing - you'd imagine a salary dump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Question from a list perspective - would Smilie be our Tom Green?

More like a P Cripps as at 194cm he also plays forward as well as mid.

Tom Green is a 100% mid.

If we drafted Smillie it would almost be curtins for Culley as they are similar players, Smillie quicker I think. Add Hewett resting forward with Ried and now Smillie not sure where Culley fits in.

It would seem a clear message is being sent to Gaff to help him make the decision to retire by leaving him in the WAFL.

You wonder what was said at the end of last year. Did they foreshadow this scenario of him having long stints in the WAFL and offer him a pay out to retire and he decided of his own volition to back himself in to play on and regain his spot in the best 22, or did they encourage him to play on?

Tom Green is a 100% mid.

If we drafted Smillie it would almost be curtins for Culley as they are similar players, Smillie quicker I think. Add Hewett resting forward with Ried and now Smillie not sure where Culley fits in.
They have the same amount of goals for the year mate.

I feel like Green has being doing some stints resting forward too. Well, at least in the games I've seen. I only remember this because I remember being surprised at his high level of forward craft.

Wonder how Briz is going.........

Is that the 5th loss this season for the unstoppable Lions........:think:;):oops:o_O

Someone needs to start pedelling faster on the academy production line it seems.

Or maybe look at quality control?

Great believer in karma.
Why are you so bent out of shape over Briz, it is truly bewildering.

Busslinger for our 2R pic like some have said is massive overs for someone who hasn't played a game yet. The club should have a crack but he's a 3rd round pic surely

Second year tall, was injured in first preseason, may have had another couple of minor injuries as well but has played very well at VFL level. Whilst our second might end up 24/25 on paper at trade week it'll blow out to pick 30 at the draft. It would be unders for Buss but where both clubs sit and where the WCE have PSD to fall back on (as long as we finish below the dockers) it's a fair trade if slightly in our favour.

Busslinger reads the flight exceptionally, is a better 1 vs 1 defender than Curtin and makes quick and good decisions. His skills are decent but not great. I would suggest slightly better skills than Barrass. He's also quick.

For a second round pick a future CHB for us would be a very nice trade. I rate him quite highly. Needs 2 full preseasons to add the muscle and strength required and get some games into him but it would be a very astute trade imo.

(just a side edit, next year if he goes down that path dogs get croft's brother who is quite talented for free as a cat b)

Second year tall, was injured in first preseason, may have had another couple of minor injuries as well but has played very well at VFL level. Whilst our second might end up 24/25 on paper at trade week it'll blow out to pick 30 at the draft. It would be unders for Buss but where both clubs sit and where the WCE have PSD to fall back on (as long as we finish below the dockers) it's a fair trade if slightly in our favour.

Busslinger reads the flight exceptionally, is a better 1 vs 1 defender than Curtin and makes quick and good decisions. His skills are decent but not great. I would suggest slightly better skills than Barrass. He's also quick.

For a second round pick a future CHB for us would be a very nice trade. I rate him quite highly. Needs 2 full preseasons to add the muscle and strength required and get some games into him but it would be a very astute trade imo.

(just a side edit, next year if he goes down that path dogs get croft's brother who is quite talented for free as a cat b)
I reckon he's got great skills, especially by foot

Anyone got access to HUN article? AsterixTheGaul?

Here

Many of the top AFL draft prospects for 2024 will feature in another exhibition match this weekend — including the three players vying to be the No. 1 pick.
Plus, here’s the latest ahead of next month’s mid-season rookie draft, news on a gun Victorian key forward who is yet to feature this season due to a back injury and why skinfold testing of draft prospects was dumped years ago.

TOP PICK SET FOR RETURN
Potential No. 1 draft pick Finn O’Sullivan will return to the field for the AFL Academy side this weekend after missing the squad’s first match with a fractured thumb.

The Oakleigh Chargers product — who is a second cousin of Carlton star Sam Walsh — has been named as one of five inclusions for the side’s second exhibition match against Footscray on Saturday.

An explosive ball-winning midfielder, O’Sullivan played for his school side Xavier College last weekend in his first game since suffering the thumb injury in round 1 of the Coates Talent League.

Recruiters have him pegged as a No. 1 pick contender this year, alongside big-bodied Eastern Ranges onballer Josh Smillie and Brisbane Lions father-son prospect Levi Ashcroft.

West Australian prospects Malakai Champion and Bo Allan have also been named to return from injury for the AFL Academy side after missing the first match against Coburg a fortnight ago, along with Victorian trio Archer Day-Wicks, Xavier Lindsay and Sam Lalor.

Lalor booted seven goals for his school team Geelong Grammar in a dominant display last weekend, that performance coming in his first game back since overcoming early-season hip and groin issues.

Taj Hotton, Jordan Nguyen, Tobie Travaglia and Jack Whitlock won’t feature against Footscray, after being injury replacement players for the AFL Academy against Coburg.

However, 197cm Murray Bushrangers key defender Matt Whitlock has been called up for the match after making an impressive start to the season.

The match will be played at Whitten Oval from 11am on Saturday.

HUTCHINSON FLYING HIGH

A “surfer-come-footballer” with an extraordinary leap is attracting plenty of attention from clubs ahead of the AFL mid-season rookie draft.

Collingwood VFL forward Jack Hutchinson again produced a nice highlights reel last weekend, headlined by a stunning pack mark in the second quarter against Coburg.

Recruiters say the 22-year-old has “popped up from obscurity” this year, after being convinced by former Collingwood forward Jarryd Blair to test himself at VFL level.

Hutchinson spent the past two years being coached by Blair at Wonthaggi Power in the Gippsland League, before eventually making the decision to move to Melbourne this year and give the VFL a go.

A high-marking lead-up forward, he has kicked two goals in each of his past three VFL games for the Magpies.

Collingwood VFL coach Josh Fraser has labelled Hutchinson as a player with “huge upside” who has “got AFL attributes “.

Wonthaggi Power football director and assistant coach Stuart Gilmour told this column that Hutchinson had always had other priorities than football.

He declined to go down the traditional football pathways as a teenager but is now fully invested as he looks to grab his opportunity with both hands.

“He didn’t do the Coates League. He didn’t do much representative footy at all,” Gilmour said.

“Jack was a surfer-come-footballer rather than a footballer-come-surfer.

“Halfway through last year when Jack had really got some form and was starting to cover some ground and reach for the footy a bit more, we all thought there’s an opportunity here for Jack if he wanted to. He sort of didn’t really say yes to it, to be honest, at the start. He felt his way through it.”

Known to teammates at Wonthaggi simply as ‘Hutchy’, the carpenter possesses some “natural ability” that other players don’t but also gives great effort on the field.

“His marking is a key strength. He marks from a long way back and obviously gets them high, which the cameras get a hold of,” Gilmour said.

“But Jack’s work rate and the ground that he covers, that will probably be his next ticket, I’d suggest. His preparation is really good, but he’s just got a natural fitness level and he covers a lot of ground which is something I’m sure recruiters are looking at.”

OTHER MID-SEASON DRAFT PROSPECTS EMERGE

While clubs say that mid-season draft prospects are “not popping up like mushrooms” this year, a number of players are putting their hands up to be considered.

The first game of the Young Guns series was played against Vic Metro last Sunday, with Geelong VFL midfielder Tobyn Murray topping the stats sheet with 24 disposals, five clearances and a goal.

Essendon VFL forward Oskar Smartt also caught the eye with 12 disposals, four marks and 3.2 in attack, while Dandenong Stingrays defender Ben Hopkins is attracting some AFL interest after racking up 23 disposals, three marks and three rebound 50s.

Mid-sized Geelong Falcons forward Will McLachlan only managed one behind from eight disposals for the Young Guns last weekend, but has impressed scouts this year after booting 13 goals from three games in the Coates Talent League.

Tasmanian Devils defender-turned-forward Geordie Payne is another player being discussed in recruiting circles and he kicked 2.3 from nine disposals for the Young Guns.

The Young Guns will play a second game against Vic Country at Craigieburn’s Highgate Recreation Reserve from 11am on Sunday.

This year’s mid-season draft will be held on May 29.

WHICH CLUBS HAVE MID-SEASON PICKS?

At least 11 clubs will have the option of making selections in next month’s mid-season rookie draft.

While Fremantle and Gold Coast were the only clubs who entered the season with vacant list spots, at least nine other clubs can open up spots due to season-ending injuries or retirements.

Other clubs can still open up spots if they suffer season-ending injuries in coming weeks.

There were 13 players picked in the 2023 mid-season draft, headlined by Ryan Maric joining West Coast at the No. 1 selection.

CURRENT POTENTIAL MSD PICKS​

Adelaide: 2 (Wayne Milera, Patrick Parnell)
Brisbane: 2 (Keidean Coleman, Tom Doedee)
Carlton: 2 (Jack Silvagni, Sam Docherty)
Collingwood: 1 (Nathan Murphy)
Essendon: 1 (Jaiden Hunter)
Fremantle: 1 (Spot left open)
Gold Coast: 1 (Spot left open)
Melbourne: 1 (Angus Brayshaw)
North Melbourne: 2 (Josh Goater, Callum Coleman-Jones,)
Richmond: 2 (Josh Gibcus, Judson Clarke)
Western Bulldogs: 1 (Bailey Smith)

FAULL HOPES TO BOUNCE BACK

Exciting key forward Jonty Faull is still working his way back to fitness as he battles bone stress in his lower back.

The Greater Western Victoria Rebels product has targeted a mid-season return in June after back issues flared up in December and ruined his preparation for the 2024 season.

A member of the AFL Academy, the 195cm Faull had kicked two goals in the under-17 Futures game last September and trained with Geelong in December before the problems popped up.

“It’s disappointing and frustrating but I can’t do much about it,” Faull said last month.

“It is what it is. I’ve just got to try and rehab it and do all the right things.”

Faull, who attends Ballarat Grammar, has a background in rowing and competed for his school at the 2023 Australian Rowing Championships in Perth last March.

His team won a bronze medal in the Schoolboy’s Coxed Quadruple Scull event.

“I love rowing so much,” Faull said.

“I had to give it up this last season, but I did it for about three or four years and I loved every minute of it. It’s such a tough sport, but it’s so rewarding as well.”

Faull is a Carlton supporter, with his uncle — Nick Faull — having been drafted to the Blues in the 1990 national draft.

A strong overhead mark who reads the play well, the 18-year-old looks up to two-time Coleman Medal winner who wears the navy blue.

“A bit Charlie Curnow, obviously going for Carlton, but I don’t feel like I model it off one specific player,” Faull said when asked who he modelled his game on.

“I try and get the good bits from each player and try and use that in my game.”

SKINFOLDS LONG GONE

The AFL insists no changes are being made to how it will physically test draft prospects this year amid confusion earlier in the week.

There were reports on Monday night suggesting that the league was dumping skinfold testing and would no longer be making the weights of draft prospects available.

Former Essendon champion Matthew Lloyd responded by saying, “The world’s gone mad”.

However, skinfold testing has been banned since the 2021 national draft and the weights of Coates Talent League players have not been made public over the past two seasons.

Only player heights are published on team sheets, with the AFL also moving towards that model for AFL-listed players this year.

Recruiting teams at clubs still have access to player weights, which are taken in a “safe and private setting”.

The league has pointed towards mental health concerns as the reason for stopping skinfolds and no longer publishing weights.

I reckon he's got great skills, especially by foot

I think they're good, especially for a KPD but not great. How much they slide, stay the same or improve over time at AFL level will be a big thing.

There's a shitload of guys who particularly in decent sides look like they have amazing skills at the second tier but then when they take the step up it can turn to s**t for a lot of reasons.

One thing with his skills that Buss has is that due to his elite ability to read the play I think he is able to use his skill ability better than most. If he can bring that up to speed at AFL level and thats going to take games and experience he is a very, very talented player.

I rate him higher than Curtin.

Also just so people know Buss is now 198/199cm. Perfect size.

Tom Green is a 100% mid.

Can’t say I’ve seen Smillie play forward much at all. He sneaks forward while on ball and gets the odd goal.

Academy game he played a little in defence. Generally in his games for Ranges he plays pretty much exclusively on ball for the majority of the game and takes a rest on the bench occasionally.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back