News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I found the Prez's message (well the start bit about our performances and the goals of the club) amusing.

It was like a pre-emptive strike to keep the punters happy given that a loss this week will effectively rule us out of finishing in the 8.

Will not be a great look after last year and all the sackings and changes made this year.

I understand that timelines aren't set in stone so if we go backwards this year as a result of injuries - so be it - but it does beg the question.

Do you think the message have been exactly the same if we'd had better luck with injuries, won all of the close finishes and were sitting 2nd with a 5 wins on the board?

So you think the club intends on losing this weekend? Sort of moot otherwise, they would hardly make a statement preempting a loss.

In terms of messaging if on the other side of the coin (5 wins, 0 losses, or alternatively, 3 wins, 2 losses) I don’t think it changes the fact performances haven’t been there completely - it’s sort of been neither here nor there. Messaging would still be that this is due to a young list who aren’t quite there with pulling together consistent and complete performances.

In terms of if injuries weren’t there, sort of a by product of trying to fast track performance and development with an outdated and ill equipped list that by all reports wasn’t meeting standards (including conditioning and training) for some time.

I’m no sports science expert, but imagine if you go from one extreme to the other with meeting these standards, it would have a physical impact in the short term, which is expected with the broader teething pains with this list.

As RTB would say, glass half full or empty?

I found the Prez's message (well the start bit about our performances and the goals of the club) amusing.

It was like a pre-emptive strike to keep the punters happy given that a loss this week will effectively rule us out of finishing in the 8.

Will not be a great look after last year and all the sackings and changes made this year.

I understand that timelines aren't set in stone so if we go backwards this year as a result of injuries - so be it - but it does beg the question.

Do you think the message have been exactly the same if we'd had better luck with injuries, won all of the close finishes and were sitting 2nd with a 5 wins on the board?
I think so, Bassat and Lyon previously pointed out that we want to build for sustained success, not just a flash in the pan. For that we need time and young players to be the core of the next successful team, we definitely over achieved last season and hit by injury curse again this season and still inconsistent. Rather than take shortcuts and sign 1-2 free agent, should really wait for the list and team to mature more. Just my take.

Remember we have had poor drafting, coaching and player development for 10+ years, for us to become a consistent top team after 1-2 years is wishful thinking.

So you think the club intends on losing this weekend? Sort of moot otherwise, they would hardly make a statement preempting a loss.

In terms of messaging if on the other side of the coin (5 wins, 0 losses, or alternatively, 3 wins, 2 losses) I don’t think it changes the fact performances haven’t been there completely - it’s sort of been neither here nor there. Messaging would still be that this is due to a young list who aren’t quite there with pulling together consistent and complete performances.

In terms of if injuries weren’t there, sort of a by product of trying to fast track performance and development with an outdated and ill equipped list that by all reports wasn’t meeting standards (including conditioning and training) for some time.

I’m no sports science expert, but imagine if you go from one extreme to the other with meeting these standards, it would have a physical impact in the short term, which is expected with the broader teething pains with this list.

As RTB would say, glass half full or empty?

I think so, Bassat and Lyon previously pointed out that we want to build for sustained success, not just a flash in the pan. For that we need time and young players to be the core of the next successful team, we definitely over achieved last season and hit by injury curse again this season and still inconsistent. Rather than take shortcuts and sign 1-2 free agent, should really wait for the list and team to mature more. Just my take.

Remember we have had poor drafting, coaching and player development for 10+ years, for us to become a consistent top team after 1-2 years is wishful thinking.
I don’t think the message has changed at all.

I expect finals. But I’ve also said the club wants to focus on youth and believes it can still be going forwards even if it misses September.

It didn’t go down well with a number of people. But they are really trying to avoid being short sighted. (The club not posters)

In the last week I’ve used the games played by youth rhetoric a number of times in here. It isn’t an excuse. It’s factual and it definitely impacts our ability to be consistent across 4 quarters.

People bringing up trading for Harley Reid with any sort of seriousness should save themselves the energy. He will be staying at WCE for quite some time IMO, during this time he will be getting very very rich.
I think anyone who is doing it in seriousness has no idea about players and footy tbh

People bringing up trading for Harley Reid with any sort of seriousness should save themselves the energy. He will be staying at WCE for quite some time IMO, during this time he will be getting very very rich.
If he is smart, delivers excellent footy, keeps his nose clean & has a good manager he will own Perth by the time he leaves - the business contacts he will meet and the deals he will be tipped into will set him up for life by the time he is 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he is smart, delivers excellent footy, keeps his nose clean & has a good manager he will own Perth by the time he leaves - the business contacts he will meet and the deals he will be tipped into will set him up for life by the time he is 25.
With it’s wealth & resources, it’s only a matter of time before West Coast are a powerful club again…Harley will be their new Chris Judd for many years

Gardy made some good “business contacts” and did some good “deals” after he moved over there as a number one pick

I really don't like these President type messages, seen way too many of them. We all know management is doing their best to turn the ship around.

Please just get on with playing football and winning games.

I really don't like these President type messages, seen way too many of them. We all know management is doing their best to turn the ship around.

however, there are large number of supporters who think, we never hear from the president.

can't have it both ways.

Exactly this. Perth will cultivate a revenue stream for him outside of footy that makes him feel truly invested in the West.

All Andrew Gaffs business partners probably divesting and switching across to Harley as we speak.

Don't think the Pres writing an email has too much effect on how the team is playing and trying to win games. Unless you think he's wasting time that he should be using to clean their boots or wash the jumpers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back