News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed.

But he never landed another CEO role in between the Roos job in 2019 and when he joined us in 2022 as COO - which was a step down.

So I remain sceptical.
Sure, but career breaks after a long-term CEO role are somewhat normal and throw a global pandemic in there, his break could be easily explained.

If the people currently in all the powerful positions are half as good as this board hypes them up to be, surely you have to believe that they are capable of picking the best candidate available for the job from the long and thorough process they've run.

It really highlights how far the club has come when we are discussing quality CEO options wanting the top job. It wasnt that long ago we had to beg people to take on the job and their results were indictive of their skills.

My concern here is the north supporters just did not rate the bloke.

Granted they all come with warts.
Do supporters actually know what these guys do behind the scenes though?

What’s he around at Nord when they claimed themselves out of debt. Most were happy when he came to us

Not sure that’s a point of validation for the guy.

You don’t just let good CEOs go.

Clubs fight tooth and nail to keep them and others offer the world.

You also don’t let good players go (Ben Brown and Wood, just a couple to name), but hey it is Norf here

A 2-3 start to the season could have easily swung St Kilda’s way, given losses to Geelong (eight points), Essendon (four points) and the GWS Giants (one point), around narrow wins over Collingwood and Richmond.
In coach Ross Lyon’s second Saints era, he and Bassat have constantly committed to not taking shortcuts on the way to becoming a regular top-four side.
In a letter sent to St Kilda members on Tuesday, Bassat wrote that the club’s long-term plan would “remain grounded, despite a surprise finals appearance last year and the club wanted to walk the tightrope of winning while blooding youth.
Bassat boasted that St Kilda fielded the fourth-youngest side in the league through the season’s opening rounds, while staying competitive.
Despite a determined midfield built around Jack Steele and Rowan Marshall, the Saints are short on true A-grade on-ball talent.
But despite having the room, they won’t be rushing to sign win-now players unless they are closing in on the flag window.
The Saints traded for young runner Liam Henry (Fremantle) last off-season, while also landing off-casts Paddy Dow (Carlton) and Riley Bonner (Port Adelaide).
“I think we have now got the room (in the salary cap) – we have been open about the fact we have now got the room,” he told this masthead.
“You don’t want to go too early; you don’t want to assume you are closer than you are to a flag and go after free agents, so I think it will depend on how we perform this year and how close you are.
“But I think, in time, that has to become part of the strategy. If you feel there are gaps in the top-end talent, that has got to be part of the strategy.”
St Kilda, who will host a similarly middling Western Bulldogs on Thursday night at Marvel Stadium, is closing in on naming a full-time replacement for former chief executive Simon Lethlean.
Interim CEO Carl Dilena is the clear frontrunner and Bassat confirmed “we haven’t spoken to anyone else”.
On speculation that former Fremantle CEO Steve Rosich could come into the mix after last week exiting his role as boss of the Victoria Racing Club, Bassat said: “we’re not doing a running commentary, but his resignation certainly had nothing to do with St Kilda”.
A self-described “long-suffering fan” of St Kilda, Bassat said the Saints had spoken to the AFL about how the academy-compromised draft makes it tough for teams to leap out of the middle of the ladder and into flag contention.

More Coverage​

Robbo: How ‘pure footballer’ became a leading light for Saints Robbo: How ‘pure footballer’ became a leading light for Saints
“It’s a real issue. We’ve been vocal with the AFL and I think the AFL is now looking at draft compromises,” he said.
“I sat there at the draft last year and watched Gold Coast get three more gun players before we got our first pick, which makes it pretty hard to catch up.
“We are hopeful the AFL will remove some of the compromises to make it a bit easier. But you just have to draft well and we think we have in the last couple of years.”

A 2-3 start to the season could have easily swung St Kilda’s way, given losses to Geelong (eight points), Essendon (four points) and the GWS Giants (one point), around narrow wins over Collingwood and Richmond.
In coach Ross Lyon’s second Saints era, he and Bassat have constantly committed to not taking shortcuts on the way to becoming a regular top-four side.
In a letter sent to St Kilda members on Tuesday, Bassat wrote that the club’s long-term plan would “remain grounded, despite a surprise finals appearance last year and the club wanted to walk the tightrope of winning while blooding youth.
Bassat boasted that St Kilda fielded the fourth-youngest side in the league through the season’s opening rounds, while staying competitive.
Despite a determined midfield built around Jack Steele and Rowan Marshall, the Saints are short on true A-grade on-ball talent.
But despite having the room, they won’t be rushing to sign win-now players unless they are closing in on the flag window.
The Saints traded for young runner Liam Henry (Fremantle) last off-season, while also landing off-casts Paddy Dow (Carlton) and Riley Bonner (Port Adelaide).
“I think we have now got the room (in the salary cap) – we have been open about the fact we have now got the room,” he told this masthead.
“You don’t want to go too early; you don’t want to assume you are closer than you are to a flag and go after free agents, so I think it will depend on how we perform this year and how close you are.
“But I think, in time, that has to become part of the strategy. If you feel there are gaps in the top-end talent, that has got to be part of the strategy.”
St Kilda, who will host a similarly middling Western Bulldogs on Thursday night at Marvel Stadium, is closing in on naming a full-time replacement for former chief executive Simon Lethlean.
Interim CEO Carl Dilena is the clear frontrunner and Bassat confirmed “we haven’t spoken to anyone else”.
On speculation that former Fremantle CEO Steve Rosich could come into the mix after last week exiting his role as boss of the Victoria Racing Club, Bassat said: “we’re not doing a running commentary, but his resignation certainly had nothing to do with St Kilda”.
A self-described “long-suffering fan” of St Kilda, Bassat said the Saints had spoken to the AFL about how the academy-compromised draft makes it tough for teams to leap out of the middle of the ladder and into flag contention.

More Coverage​

Robbo: How ‘pure footballer’ became a leading light for Saints Robbo: How ‘pure footballer’ became a leading light for Saints
“It’s a real issue. We’ve been vocal with the AFL and I think the AFL is now looking at draft compromises,” he said.
“I sat there at the draft last year and watched Gold Coast get three more gun players before we got our first pick, which makes it pretty hard to catch up.
“We are hopeful the AFL will remove some of the compromises to make it a bit easier. But you just have to draft well and we think we have in the last couple of years.”
That embeded Nas article is pretty decent too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More Coverage​

I wonder how hard clubs are going at the afl behind closed doors about the academy systems. Because he has nailed it. It creates a group in the middle that just get stuck there

I wonder how hard clubs are going at the afl behind closed doors about the academy systems. Because he has nailed it. It creates a group in the middle that just get stuck there
To be honest I think the biggest takeaway was effectively saying the path we are on re timelines isn’t set in stone.

That will piss some posters off who are talking top4 expectations 😂
Usually, yes. But Harley Reid legitimately looks like he could be the best player in the comp by the end of the season.
Talk about overreaction 😂

can say the same about rosich

the VRCs books are not good reading

And some of his innovations were just plain ridiculous

d2QDTMs.gif

To be honest I think the biggest takeaway was effectively saying the path we are on re timelines isn’t set in stone.

That will piss some posters off who are talking top4 expectations 😂

I found the Prez's message (well the start bit about our performances and the goals of the club) amusing.

It was like a pre-emptive strike to keep the punters happy given that a loss this week will effectively rule us out of finishing in the 8.

Will not be a great look after last year and all the sackings and changes made this year.

I understand that timelines aren't set in stone so if we go backwards this year as a result of injuries - so be it - but it does beg the question.

Do you think the message have been exactly the same if we'd had better luck with injuries, won all of the close finishes and were sitting 2nd with a 5 wins on the board?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back