News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill save everyone from having to waste their time reading public comments:

-Old time boomer: i bought my house in 19dickety2 for 3 onions from my belt. How dare anyone change anything around me. Outrage. How can I vote in Donald Trump for state premier?

-Rich NIMBY: we need more affordable housing for our children but it should be built SUSTAINABLY in Logan. We cant house all these people with their cars due to traffic (ignoring Gabba is going to be one of of the most well connected suburb with rail and bus).

-Outraged Greeny: this is just a ploy by developers. Why isnt it 100% public housing? We should reforest that area into koala habitat and build eco tree houses as emergency accommodation for homeless women and refugees only.

-Whatabout Wally: there are homeless men in Southbank, Logan Hospital is bed blocked, why isnt regional bumheck town getting some money too? The government can only focus on one thing at once.

-Liberals: this is exactly what we would do but because Labor proposed it Im going to hold a 6 month independent review and hire some old liberal staffers so we get a cut of this money.

-Labor: lets propose this and then change our mind in 6 months because some NIMBYs signed a petition and I spend too much time at the gym working on my thick head instead of growing a back bone and making decisions myself. Get old mate Coatsey on the line and he can design the policy for us.

The Olympics ia going to be clownshow because we have gutless politicians to choose from.

‘It’s crazy’: Talk of slashing Gabba capacity in $1bn spend

The state government’s alternative plan for the Gabba could cost $1.1bn and cut its capacity by 4000 seats, it has been revealed.

The state government’s alternative plan for the Gabba could cost $1.1bn and cut its capacity by 4000 seats.

It can be revealed early discussions among stakeholders indicated the “crazy” expenditure was necessary to reach code compliance and prevent the cracked and rusty stadium from further deteriorating.

For the same $1bn price tag former Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk in 2021 said the Gabba could be demolished and rebuilt, 4000 seats could instead be removed as part of a billion-dollar plan to upgrade it and Suncorp Stadium

The state government said no decision had been made and consultation about the scope and nature of the Gabba upgrades were ongoing.

Plans to turn the Gabba into a world-class stadium in time for the 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games were axed in March by Premier Steven Miles, who instead favoured spending $1.6bn for a temporary venue at Nathan’s QSAC.

Early work by the state to upgrade the Gabba indicates its capacity would dwindle from the current 36,000 seats to just 32,000.

Editorial: Billion-dollar Gabba reno a harebrained folly

The decision to not build a new venue for cricket and AFL, and instead bring the Gabba up to modern building standards, will leave Queensland literally last in the nation, writes The Editor.

The absolute harebrained folly of Premier Steven Miles’s latest plan for Brisbane’s stadiums is exposed by today’s revelations that it will cost up to $1bn to simply keep the Gabba from falling down – with a 10 per cent reduction in capacity.

Mr Miles’s decision to not build a new venue for cricket and AFL, and instead bring the Gabba up to modern building standards, will leave Queensland literally last in the nation when it comes to oval-shaped venues for concerts and for sport – behind Adelaide, Perth and even Hobart. And Queenslanders will get to pay $1bn for the honour!

It is bizarre, sort-sighted, stupid. Considering the government will this year collect at least $22bn in revenue, it is also the equivalent of a household with a $220,000 annual income deciding to spend $10,000 restumping the house – and losing a bedroom in the process – rather than spending $30,000 rebuilding the entire thing and ending up with a brand new bigger home that also now has a pool. It boggles the mind.

The good news is Mr Miles is turning popular opinion around – just not in the way he was hoping.

His ridiculous decision to dump plans for a new stadium for sports that people actually turn up to watch in favour of a far smaller track and field venue at the site of the state’s existing athletics centre – and to bill taxpayers another $1.6bn for that plan alone – has convinced more Queenslanders of the need to invest in a brand new stadium.

This stadium would not be for the Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2032. The International Olympic Committee would certainly use the stadium for its event in 2032, but this new venue would be for the people of Queensland – a place where for a generation to come they would gather to watch AFL, cricket, Taylor Swift and Coldplay.

It would cost about $3.5bn. And sure, that is a number not to be sneezed at. But that is because governments deal in big numbers.

But to use that same household income analogy again – assuming the new stadium build takes four years, its $3.5bn cost would be the equivalent of that same household taking a mortgage on a new home that they repay at just $169 a week – and have it fully paid off in just four years. Imagine!

Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner is right when he says it’s all crazy and that he is gobsmacked that we are spending $1bn on the Gabba to get 4000 fewer seats.

Mr Schrinner is also right to keep talking about what a bad idea the new $1.6bn athletics venue at Nathan is, in terms of both legacy and value for taxpayer dollar.

The 40,000-seat temporary stadium that Premier Miles now wants would only host the track and field events, and be reduced to a 14,000-seat venue after the Games.

It would mean Brisbane’s athletics stadium would be the smallest at any Olympics since 1928 in Amsterdam. And its construction would disrupt the preparations of our top athletes – because the state’s Academy of Sport that the government recently spent $10m upgrading is based literally inside the existing stand at Nathan that would be demolished to make way for the temporary Miles stadium.

Mr Miles should end this joke and do three things. First, he should dump his plans for the temporary track and field stadium. Second, he should redirect the hundreds of millions of dollars being spent to make the Gabba smaller to Suncorp Stadium upgrades. And third, he should bite the bullet and invest in a brand new oval stadium for cricket, AFL and for big concerts.

Anyone that looks at costs and alternatives know what is proposed is crazy.
The issue is both leaders of Labor and the LNP have stated no new stadium.

The public are also to blame as they believe or don't understand what they are told.
"We can't justify building a new stadium when people are hurting during a cost-of-living crisis"
That statement insinuates they are saving the money for cost-of-living relief.
When in fact they will spend every cent and probably more of the state and federal money announced at the beginning.

Hopefully the validation report for the newest location for Brisbane Arena comes in as not viable costs wise.
That way they can cancel that project and easily accommodate a new stadium and new pool for far less money.
Surely that would be an easy sell to the public

Schrinner has change of heart, rejoins Olympic leaders forum
from Brisbane Times

Schrinner has change of heart, rejoins Olympic leaders forum
By Courtney Kruk
Six months ago, Lord Mayor Adrian Schrinner sensationally resigned from the Brisbane 2032 Olympic and Paralympic Games intergovernmental leaders’ forum, calling it a “dysfunctional farce” and “pointless talkfest”.

His grievances were largely focused on the debate around new and existing stadiums, and the lack of talk about transport infrastructure.

A lot has changed since December – notably the abandonment of the Gabba rebuild and the state government’s decision to host the athletics at QSAC.

But Schrinner has also had a change of heart in that time about his involvement in the forum, announcing today that he will rejoin the group.

“While there will always be differences of opinion, it’s important we work together to deliver an incredible Games and a legacy that benefits Brisbane, the region and our state,” Schrinner said in a statement.

Having previously lambasted the Labor government for making decisions behind “closed doors” and coming out swinging against the QSAC decision, belatedly throwing support behind a new stadium at Victoria Park, Schrinner today thanked Premier Steven Miles for his decision to establish an Independent Delivery Authority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is he going to hold them to account though? It's not like they have to listen to him. Really, walking away was the best thing he did, as it helped delegitimise the body.

Maybe he'll chair the new politically independent committee. That'd be good.

Maybe he'll chair the new politically independent committee. That'd be good.

The lnp Lord Mayor?

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by CBS News

How is he going to hold them to account though? It's not like they have to listen to him. Really, walking away was the best thing he did, as it helped delegitimise the body.
Walking away at the time was a good move for him politically to distance himself from the debacle it has become.
But he now has a new 4 year term and has a voice that obviously people listen to. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been re-elected.

We will likely have an LNP government soon.

Yes but to chair a 'politically independent review'. Don't get me wrong, it would be the quickest way to get the result we all want!

Honestly, the government should just pay KPMG to do the review.

Sigh. Must have read something and interpreted it incorrectly. One of those days, and I can't be bothered finding out how I got it wrong.

I'm sure you all will let me know if it's important.

I just really wanted to use that Joe Biden gif thats all

Ultimately he's there to ensure that Brisbane gets the best outcome. He of the 3 leaders has the most direct level of accountability to the people of Brisbane.

I also want to think (probably wildly optimistically) that he's there to provide an (adult?) inside voice and guidance to Crisafulli and the LNP on how best to get a clear line of sight on what's coming, what's best and how to sell it going forward.

I think the public mood has shifted enough for people to now want the best outcome, not the cheapest on paper. They know this is big bucks so there has to be an outcome that is commensurate.

This has become such a comical debacle that it just beggars belief! I can’t believe the politicians we have can not understand what a dreadful waste of money this is & what a wasted opportunity.
For the same money they could really make the Olympics special & build a legacy for Brisbane…really put the place on the map & secure cricket Australia & the lions’ future.

But they’ve found a messy, convoluted way to piss all the money up the wall to both embarrass brisbane & ensure there are essentially no legacy benefits.
For additional cost no less.
And Rob even more lions fans the opportunity to see them play.
Did I say comical 😂😂
Absolute bunch of f@&;$tts!!!

another news article re Olympics review
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/po...-on-another-games-review-20240523-p5jg4w.html

The interesting part of the article

Queensland’s LNP opposition has stood by its push for a fresh 100-day review of 2032 Games infrastructure planning should it win government in October, despite laws to establish an independent authority passing parliament.

“There are many Queenslanders that are turning off the Olympic and Paralympic Games”, Deputy Opposition Leader Jarrod Bleijie told parliament on Thursday.

Debate on the government bill to establish the long-awaited “legacy delivery” authority began and ended in parliament on Thursday, with the LNP ultimately supporting it and Labor accusing the LNP of seeking a chance to walk back its opposition to the $3.4 billion Victoria Park stadium.

Deputy Opposition Leader Jarrod Bleijie talked down the authority as “quasi-independent” during his speech, failing in his push to require that it have at least one member from outside south-east Queensland – and conduct a 100-day review.

“We’re saying to the people of Queensland … give us 100 days [from the election] to get this back on track. Give us 100 days with a proper independent co-ordination authority with the sole focus on generational infrastructure, road and rail, to truly show Queensland – including regional Queensland – that they can benefit,” Bleijie told parliament.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back