Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Suns Round 8 @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the look of it, I've probably been more optimistic than most to the idea of Diz playing up forward. That third tall/mid-sized forward position is a problem for us, we don't really have anyone that fits there. It hasn't worked with Gardiner so far, but I don't really hold that against him, I think if the rest of our forward line was functioning anywhere the consistency or skill level we expect, things would be looking better, but it's clear we need to re-think things.

I don't think Rayner is the answer, He'll just be another body caught up in marking contests, and at this point he really needs to be playing predominantly midfield minutes. Diz doesn't really deserved to be dropped in my opinion, but I wonder if it would be worth swapping Lester with Gardiner. He's more likely to provide the forward pressure and tackling we're missing, and has the footy smarts and skills to still work on the lead or as a link up player.

Either way, what's really needed is a change in game plan more than any particular change in players, although I think a few players could do with some time in the VFL to gain confidence, more than anything else.
Froggy would be miles better than Dizz there but right now he's too valuable where he is.

Just a little fetish of mine but I don't believe in taking players away from where they're good value and performing well every week. Rather move someone who's a liability where they are.

I'd go an outside player with run and pace both ways, Frank Szekely is pay dirt.
He looks a talent. I was hoping there was someone on our VFL list we could upgrade. If we can use that as a talent pathway it could attract more potential draftees to get experience in our systems like Bruce Reville.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He looks a talent. I was hoping there was someone on our VFL list we could upgrade. If we can use that as a talent pathway it could attract more potential draftees to get experience in our systems like Bruce Reville.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Unfortunately we don’t get priority access to upgrade players from our VFL list.

Froggy would be miles better than Dizz there but right now he's too valuable where he is.

Just a little fetish of mine but I don't believe in taking players away from where they're good value and performing well every week. Rather move someone who's a liability where they are.
Yeah I don't disagree, but the positives of moving froggy forward would outweigh the negatives, particular when diz is a known quantity down back, I think he'd be more than a respectable cover as that third tall defender.

It's a drastic change, but if we're not going to start making these sorts of changes at 2-5 to start the season, when will we?

FWIW Logan Morris was a bit down on form in the last VFL game, hardly got near it, might need a break already, may not be a good time to debut him.

It was a less than ideal setup for Morris. He was stuck as fourth tall the last few weeks and the structure was garbage.

Hopefully the coaches do the right thing and give one of the fellars a game down back so our forwards can actually lead into good spots without competing with other talls.

We don't really have another tall to replace Gardiner from the VFL if (a big if) Fagan decides to replace him.
Morris has dropped off a bit.
But he is still picking up reasonable disposal numbers. 5 (2 goals R1), 14 (4), 14 (3), 10 & 14.
A bit hard for him and LLoyd with the tall timber clogging the forwards.
Lloyd had a better game last week, but he is a fair way away from selection.
Smith only should be considered if we want 2 rucks. Gardiner has more pace.
Ryan for those that have not seen him play is very slow.
Takes a good mark and leads into space well and is a reasonable goal kick.
A possibility if Hippy & Jo injured but i think he would have to be that old stay at home full forward.

Giving Morris a run in defense should give him a good perspective on how defenders work as a team.
Also, he will find it way easier to get possessions that will improve his confidence.
I would not mind him swapping with Joyce to see how he goes forward.
Joyce playing with confidence this year so he may like a role change.

Thats what we have if Gardiner gets dropped and Fagan want to stick to his 3 tall forward structure.
Should Gardiner get dropped and is replaced by a small that is another discussion.

Eric won’t get dropped but he’s actually a big name you could afford to “use” to make a statement. He’s a QLD lad on a ridiculous long term contract, no other team would go near. If he cracks the proverbial it’s not like he could move on anyway.

I know he performed strongly enough against NM & and the first quarter against Melbourne but it was a pretty low base he was coming from in comparison. The last 2 weeks have been average, albeit last weeks game wasn’t great for talls.
I play golf with a very recent ex-Lions father and he made the point on some players and in particular Hipwood. Hippy has not been forced to become a better player because there is no balance of consequences, play bad, even mediocre he is still going to be there, he never gets dropped. There are a couple in this category, to take a step up they need to know they are not safe and automatically going to be there.

I just feel we are at the point to find the emergency button, break the glass and do something, Fagan interview was concerning "I Don't Know" he can't wait for the change, he has to force a change.

From the look of it, I've probably been more optimistic than most to the idea of Diz playing up forward. That third tall/mid-sized forward position is a problem for us, we don't really have anyone that fits there. It hasn't worked with Gardiner so far, but I don't really hold that against him, I think if the rest of our forward line was functioning anywhere the consistency or skill level we expect, things would be looking better, but it's clear we need to re-think things.

I don't think Rayner is the answer, He'll just be another body caught up in marking contests, and at this point he really needs to be playing predominantly midfield minutes. Diz doesn't really deserved to be dropped in my opinion, but I wonder if it would be worth swapping Lester with Gardiner. He's more likely to provide the forward pressure and tackling we're missing, and has the footy smarts and skills to still work on the lead or as a link up player.

Either way, what's really needed is a change in game plan more than any particular change in players, although I think a few players could do with some time in the VFL to gain confidence, more than anything else.
Lester forward has worked before would be a great enhancement.
Dizzy back to where he belongs
Rayner playing midfield
Not my choice there but give him a good run in that position for at least 2 or three more games
But give him his fair share of time at the coalface lockie needs someone else to make a physical contribution at the drop .
Bust the packs.
If he doesn’t improve put it to bed.
Keep him as a forward
Working at stoppages forward of centre.we know he can be damaging and we don’t rely on him to work back as much.
Sharp or revill or both to come in
Speed and run please.

I play golf with a very recent ex-Lions father and he made the point on some players and in particular Hipwood. Hippy has not been forced to become a better player because there is no balance of consequences, play bad, even mediocre he is still going to be there, he never gets dropped. There are a couple in this category, to take a step up they need to know they are not safe and automatically going to be there.

I just feel we are at the point to find the emergency button, break the glass and do something, Fagan interview was concerning "I Don't Know" he can't wait for the change, he has to force a change.
Absolutely, I don’t many or any sports across the globe where if you are t performing you don’t get selected and that there are consequences. It’s probably the main one of a few aspects of Fagan’s coaching I have just never understood.

Even if the alternative isnt any better, isn’t it about the messaging to the group that underperforming will never be tolerated. Breeds complacency.

Lester forward has worked before would be a great enhancement.
Dizzy back to where he belongs
Rayner playing midfield
Not my choice there but give him a good run in that position for at least 2 or three more games
But give him his fair share of time at the coalface lockie needs someone else to make a physical contribution at the drop .
Bust the packs.
If he doesn’t improve put it to bed.
Keep him as a forward
Working at stoppages forward of centre.we know he can be damaging and we don’t rely on him to work back as much.
Sharp or revill or both to come in
Speed and run please.

Lions need pace, pace and more pace. It only takes 2 or 3 changes to look quicker. Just look at that GWS first gamer.

Based on the GWS performance, It is time to give Tunstill, Sharp & Prior a 6 week block to see how they go, not play them as sub, not out of position. We need to inject some serious pace and run on the wings and through rotation. Move Zorko to Sub as a burst player, he seems to struggle to run out a full game.

I would bring them in for Ah-Chee & Gardner.
Play Rayner as 3rd Tall. I dont think this is that hard, its fairly obvious.

We really haven’t sorted out of defensive ball movement since Kitty went down imo. I’d love McCarthy to be sent down back. He has the class to hurt teams in the rebound imo. I think he would thrive in a big team role

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It very clear we didn’t work hard enough in preseason. You don’t just drop off like this for no reason. We look so unfit compared to every other team and the skill levels have been deplorable. Yet all we hear is that we had a great preseason because we won two scratch matches (one against a bunch of kids with a new coach, spare me).

Time for higher standards. I would seriously try to get a few blokes off the books at this stage. Need an injection of young and hungry talent.

It very clear we didn’t work hard enough in preseason. You don’t just drop off like this for no reason. We look so unfit compared to every other team and the skill levels have been deplorable. Yet all we hear is that we had a great preseason because we won two scratch matches (one against a bunch of kids with a new coach, spare me).

Time for higher standards. I would seriously try to get a few blokes off the books at this stage. Need an injection of young and hungry talent.
We will be unloading a few players at the end of this year, my tips are Jarryd Lyons, Kalin Lane, James Madden, Carter Michael, Darragh Joyce + Dayne Zorko to retire.

We will be unloading a few players at the end of this year, my tips are Jarryd Lyons, Kalin Lane, James Madden, Carter Michael, Darragh Joyce + Dayne Zorko to retire.
I think Carter Michael is a good prospect, injury has just really hurt him. Hopefully he can get some game time soon when he's back from injury.

Big day for some of the guys in our VFL side. They’ll never get a better chance to impress.
Around five did ...
Unfortunately I think the selections will be a no Brainer, but this won't be a Revelation.

Out: Gardiner, Ah Chee, Lester Fort.
In: Morris, Sharp, Brain, Oscar

Zorko to play back. Backline becomes:
Starch Andrews, Willmott
Zorko Payne McKenna

Rayner plays through the middle, Morris 3rd tall. Sharp replaces AhChee rotating on the wing and forward.

Lester has almost been our best Backman in the last two years since he come back in That is delusional

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would be against company policy, but IMO 3 debutants are our best 3 options

Morris for Gardiner. Is made for the role they are trying to fit Darcy into.

Reville for AhChee .His footskills add a component to our game we need.

Brain for Tunstill - who is just not showing it. Shadeau has earn't a crack. Perfect sub to give J a full game to find it.

Would love to see it, but not overly confident.

Brain for Tunstill - who is just not showing it. Shadeau has earn't a crack. Perfect sub to give J a full game to find it.

Hard on Tunstill who played one full game in the wet and has been the sub for most of the other games.

Tunstill is going to make a player. He's not there yet . He has the right work ethic and will improve quickly once he gets his confidence up and his body stronger. Until then everyone's going to say he's not up to it.

I had a look at the 2's for a while today and don't see any choice but to bring Reville in. The first time I saw him play as a scrawny nobody 2 years ago he gave me early Kiddy vibes. Obviously nowhere near that in traffic but just as steady with ball in hand. We need to get some games into him now.

Also love Brain. Just not quite sure where he fits in our current structure but he's improving in leaps and bounds and has some grunt in him.

I'd throw Smith in as ruck relief for Oscar and as an adequate replacement for Gardiner. Not really sure whether he's up to it but we've gone past not trying a few things out by now surely.

I still can't see Fages dropping Dizz unless something's changed. We'll have 2 changes at most with Ah Chee injured and Oscar for Fort. 3 changes would be a bolt from the blue.

I'd go an outside player with run and pace both ways, Frank Szekely is pay dirt.

Yep, the list lacks pace and Coleman Doedee LTI is our free hit to add that type of player. We add them to the list now and if they come good then we can hang on to them via end of year delisting cycle. Avoids us having to try and find them through open draft when everyone will be looking.

Tunstill is going to make a player. He's not there yet . He has the right work ethic and will improve quickly once he gets his confidence up and his body stronger. Until then everyone's going to say he's not up to it.

I had a look at the 2's for a while today and don't see any choice but to bring Reville in. The first time I saw him play as a scrawny nobody 2 years ago he gave me early Kiddy vibes. Obviously nowhere near that in traffic but just as steady with ball in hand. We need to get some games into him now.

Also love Brain. Just not quite sure where he fits in our current structure but he's improving in leaps and bounds and has some grunt in him.

I'd throw Smith in as ruck relief for Oscar and as an adequate replacement for Gardiner. Not really sure whether he's up to it but we've gone past not trying a few things out by now surely.

I still can't see Fages dropping Dizz unless something's changed. We'll have 2 changes at most with Ah Chee injured and Oscar for Fort. 3 changes would be a bolt from the blue.

Fagan needs to make peace with the fact that we won't win it from finishing 5th to 8th. Once he accepts that, he might be open to even dropping 4 or 5. Make all changes and try all combinations, this is pretty much a free season to come up with game plan tweaks, rotations etc. Above all, bring some excitement back into the playing 23 rather than trying the same stale thing week in, week out. I'd rather him innovate and fail than keep at it with existing crew and ongoing issues.

Justa comment on Tunstill. Not sure how Tunstill can show it from the subs bench.
People have been calling for the youngsters to be given a good run of games,and the only full game he's had the whole team stunk it up, and to be then dropped is exactly what the anti-Faganates have been complaining about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back