Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 6 v Cats @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Should be a cracker of a game, Cats will be undefeated with North to come this round.

Not expecting any changes, maybe Gardiner out for Logan Morris if he has another very good game in the VFL on the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obviously no one is out of the side after that win and rightly so but let’s work on the hypothetical that Charlie is out, who do you bring in?

James Tunstill and Zac Bailey spends more time forward than usual.

Tunstill or Robertson and give Kai Charlie's role. Have either Jimmy or Dev play pressure forward roles.

Tunstill or Robertson and give Kai Charlie's role. Have either Jimmy or Dev play pressure forward roles.

Imo tunstill has deserved a full game over dev. Dev can be sub.

What do we do with Oscar?

Nothing. Gawn has been carrying the dees this season with AA form at 33yrs old. He has dominated every game. I thought Oscar was better in certain aspects of his game, but still getting back to form.

I think O and Bailey are our two remaining guys to build into the season.

Nothing. Gawn has been carrying the dees this season with AA form at 33yrs old. He has dominated every game. I thought Oscar was better in certain aspects of his game, but still getting back to form.

I don't know. Last night was embarrassing. One of the most one sided matchups I can recall watching. Couldn't have helped his confidence

Also looks as slow as ever and he wasn't very mobile to begin with.

Problem is I'm not sure Fort offers more

The only question mark is whether they are getting what they want out of Gardiner. He doesn’t look remotely close to kicking goals. But if they think the defensive forward role he is playing is working + the flexibility if there is injury, then I guess it’ll continue.

But it doesn’t look like he will kick more than about 10 goals for the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know. Last night was embarrassing. One of the most one sided matchups I can recall watching. Couldn't have helped his confidence

Gawn is a severe outlier ruck who dominates all of his opposition. I thought O did well to spoil him most of the night to take away his marking, for instance.

But some of Os tap work and decision making wasn’t good. I’d stick with him.

I don't think Henry Smith would offer any improvement at all in that area of the game either, he is a slow lumbering type as well.

I liked the look of the Kangaroos ruck last week and he would be better in a better side ie Tristan Xerri, he might be sick of losing continually and be interested in a move.

Not sure what to do about Dizzy. Might just need to persist until Morris is ready to step up.

I think we do need a marking player in that position who can do all the defensive stuff that Joe and Hipoy don’t do enough of but also needs to be a legit scoring option.

Even with some excellent ball movement last night Dizzy was still required in a lot of marking contest. None of which he even got close to winning

The only question mark is whether they are getting what they want out of Gardiner. He doesn’t look remotely close to kicking goals. But if they think the defensive forward role he is playing is working + the flexibility if there is injury, then I guess it’ll continue.

But it doesn’t look like he will kick more than about 10 goals for the season.

Lever had 11 marks and absolutely blew Dizzy's defensive game out of the water.

Think we're one Morris game away from seeing him debut.

I thought Big O was awsome in the first quarter and most of the second.
In the ruck contest his eyes were focussed on the ball and attacked it, he made some great taps , or at the very least got there first, stopping Gawn doing his thing.
It looked like he was gassed late in that second quarter and so on , and started focussing back on Gawn letting Gawn get there first with a clear tap .

Bailey, gees I think he just over complicates things , mate just give the ball up the first time if you have a player in the clear.
No need to try and beat 2 players to get the same result, he could be as great as Zorks, not sure if the penny will drop though.
Great pressure game by the whole team , in your face tackling special mention to Answerth, dead set finals like. Grand final like. That win was so important.
I think when the team attack at the contest is that aggressive it makes Rayner's game even better, he was incredible in those tight contests.
The most pleasing part of the game was our intension to not blaze away , but find a lead and keep it moving.
We'll only get better at that if we stick to it.
Such a great team game , good on those who were at the game, great win.

McKenna might be available. Don't know how that will affect things yet.

I think between Wilmott and Zorko we are doing quite well down there that we could give McKenna another week to be absolutely right if there is any question. Otherwise if he is ok to go, I'd bring him straight back in. Don't ask me who for!

I’d be giving McKenna an extra couple of weeks than needed and then bring him back via reserves. If we keep playing like last night, we can afford to be conservative.
I would be more inclined if to give him a decent training block now he is fit again.
Personally I think that is why he re-did the Hammy because he was underdone coming into the game against Freo, he was blowing up very early in that game.
So I agree with another couple of weeks but I don’t necessarily think he needs to play games, just train and get some really good miles in the legs.

I think the team is settled baring injuries. We never changed the losing team so why would we force changes after a good win. I believe Gardiner did a good job in the first quarter as a forward . He created a bit of confusion as a tall for a match up and allowed Hipwood and Daniher freedom to run at the ball and freedom to move up around the ground. I thought this was a good coaching strategy for this game.This is why we did so well in the first quarter he crumbed and scrapped the opposing looked a little lost. On to the cats Go lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back