Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion Round 6 v Cats @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oscars only an average ruck and when he's out of form his already average skill level drops away. He's now started to get in the road of teammates who would be about to mark. He seemed powerless to body in to Gawn and prevent him completely dominating. We won easily enough so the only choices are to persist with him until he finds form ,which we will ,or replace him with Fort. Can't see us replacing anyone based on history.

I think there's little difference between the two , depends which one is having a good day. Dizz I just can't have as a forward but he creates a contest at least every time.

The good aspect of last night was that we were able to maintain possession and conserve energy at the same time ,the first time we've been able to do that all year. I don't rate Melbourne so not getting carried away , Geelong won't let us get away with that to the same extent but we will be favourites.

I’d be giving McKenna an extra couple of weeks than needed and then bring him back via reserves. If we keep playing like last night, we can afford to be conservative.
Zorko and Wilmot looking very good as a pair, I'm not sure he's even an automatic to come back into the side.

I’d be giving McKenna an extra couple of weeks than needed and then bring him back via reserves. If we keep playing like last night, we can afford to be conservative.

Not against that at all. Whether that’s what will actually happen is unlikely since I reckon Fagan has him pencilled into the best side we have.

Lever had 11 marks and absolutely blew Dizzy's defensive game out of the water.

Think we're one Morris game away from seeing him debut.
Not yet on Morris, i think Dizzy is well regarded and will be given a good crack at it.

Just putting it out there, and I don't think it will happen, but swap Dizzy and Payne for a run of games. If Payne could learn quickly some forward running patterns, I think his height and athleticism could cause issues for the oppositions 3rd KPD.

Like to see Answerth hold his spot for another game. Give McKenna another week.
His in your face tackling is just what we need. Reckon disposal is better than what it has been , although probably a couple of bad or poor kicks last night, could maybe improve with more of a run.
What do we need the most , a genuine tackler or more run from McKenna?
Tough decision.

Oscars only an average ruck and when he's out of form his already average skill level drops away. He's now started to get in the road of teammates who would be about to mark. He seemed powerless to body in to Gawn and prevent him completely dominating. We won easily enough so the only choices are to persist with him until he finds form ,which we will ,or replace him with Fort. Can't see us replacing anyone based on history.

I think there's little difference between the two , depends which one is having a good day. Dizz I just can't have as a forward but he creates a contest at least every time.

The good aspect of last night was that we were able to maintain possession and conserve energy at the same time ,the first time we've been able to do that all year. I don't rate Melbourne so not getting carried away , Geelong won't let us get away with that to the same extent but we will be favourites.
I dont want us to be favourites, but likely we will be slight favourites at the GABBA

Not a good record thus far when favourites;

Heavy odds on Favourites against Carlton
Favourites against Freo
Heavy odds on favourites against Pies
Favourties against Nth

$2.80 outsiders against Dees

Like to see Answerth hold his spot for another game. Give McKenna another week.
His in your face tackling is just what we need. Reckon disposal is better than what it has been , although probably a couple of bad or poor kicks last night, could maybe improve with more of a run.
What do we need the most , a genuine tackler or more run from McKenna?
Tough decision.
Agree lets not rush back McKenna. Was he rushed back against Freo? Obviously don't know, but just be cautious as Answerth going well.

Not yet on Morris, i think Dizzy is well regarded and will be given a good crack at it.

Just putting it out there, and I don't think it will happen, but swap Dizzy and Payne for a run of games. If Payne could learn quickly some forward running patterns, I think his height and athleticism could cause issues for the oppositions 3rd KPD.

If he has another 3+ goal game it would be hard to say no to a debut this week tbh. What is Dizzy really adding up forward?

If he has another 3+ goal game it would be hard to say no to a debut this week tbh. What is Dizzy really adding up forward?
His thing is to get in the way or paddle it over the line.

He's not a strong contested mark ,kicking and handballing skills below par for a forward.

But I'd still be surprised if we dropped him. We've always rated his competitiveness.

Personally I agree . Not a forward.

His thing is to get in the way or paddle it over the line.

He's not a strong contested mark ,kicking and handballing skills below par for a forward.

But I'd still be surprised if we dropped him. We've always rated his competitiveness.

Personally I agree . Not a forward.

I really haven't minded him there, but ask myself: is he playing this role in a grand final?

No way.

Cameron - hoping for the best but fearing the worst. Terrible timing given his return to from if he goes. I would shift Ah Chee forward to give some aerial / ground level threat and pressure, and Tunstill to the wing role of ah chee.

Gardiner - in isolation he is not exactly setting the world on fire. Not much a goal threat. But he had 13 disposals last night which is not bad at all for a key forward. And the forward line functioned well. I will be keen to watch him at the ground next week but he SEEMS to bring the only thing we lack in the forward line regularly - always competing (for a tackle / chase / mark even when in a bad position) and he is a decent lead-up player which does two things - helps us have a short option when we want it, and clears out the forward line of him and his opponent. This is THE BEST THING he brings in my view. So often when we dominate inside 50s our forward line gets very clogged.

Oscar - i don't watch the 2s. i think if a ruckman is knocking down the door they deserve a chance. Time to see if they can improve us. Oscar seems to be struggling holding the main mantle this year. He has always been more workhorse than star. It's pretty simple - if we think one of our understudies could give us an improvement, we should try it. If not - back Oscar in. I do think we need to seriously consider 2 rucks for certain teams / comboes, ie vs Gawn, or Darcy / Jackson, perhaps Witts. We seem to struggle with these in particular. Yes we go a bit taller but we can rotate the bigger blokes on the bench, drop Gardiner for the second ruck, and have a runner as sub to take a ruck off in the third.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a direct reply, but when Ashcroft returns, I think it is Bailey who loses midfield minutes. Need to persist with Rayner and Clug around the ball more often.

Bailey has the show pony skills and cheekiness of a forward. Will need to work on sharing the glory, but can definitely see him as mostly a forward

Bailey has the show pony skills and cheekiness of a forward. Will need to work on sharing the glory, but can definitely see him as mostly a forward
Yeah his highlight reel as a mid would be pretty awesome as he gets those out the front clearances from time to time and charges forward ball in hand. But, he just isn't a guy you can rely on as a mid. Can't tackle, can't really stand in a tackle and give it off and can't really bust a tackle either, especially when he is a bit down on confidence.

I really haven't minded him there, but ask myself: is he playing this role in a grand final?

No way.
I think he needs to grow in the role a bit. But he hasn't been there long and gets a bit of the ball, 11 last week, 13 this week against a good defence - they really are not bad numbers, can't be bothered looking up how many possessions our non Joe forwards had in the granny but from memory not many!

I just think he is playing a role there that is making the forward line function pretty well, as i said before he seems to clear space pretty well by getting the ball up the ground? Maybe someone with heat map ability can make a mockery of my argument...

I think he needs to grow in the role a bit. But he hasn't been there long and gets a bit of the ball, 11 last week, 13 this week against a good defence - they really are not bad numbers, can't be bothered looking up how many possessions our non Joe forwards had in the granny but from memory not many!

I just think he is playing a role there that is making the forward line function pretty well, as i said before he seems to clear space pretty well by getting the ball up the ground? Maybe someone with heat map ability can make a mockery of my argument...

The junk yard dog of the forward line.

There to intimidate opposition backs, throw his defensive weight around and have them looking over their shoulders for the freight train named Darcy.

And his teammates cash in on that hesitation.

I like what I've seen so far, albeit it's very early in the creation of this role (so yes fagan does try different tactics).

There's been a big improvement since the first game where he kept sneaking into the back line.

Deserves another month at least to see how the role grows, and to see how many other teams give it a try.

The junk yard dog of the forward line.

There to intimidate opposition backs, throw his defensive weight around and have them looking over their shoulders for the freight train named Darcy.

And his teammates cash in on that hesitation.

I like what I've seen so far, albeit it's very early in the creation of this role (so yes fagan does try different tactics).

There's been a big improvement since the first game where he kept sneaking into the back line.

Deserves another month at least to see how the role grows, and to see how many other teams give it a try.
It seemed to be while we got a bit defensive late in quarters, we didn't revert to putting someone behind the ball such as Darcy? But to be fair the kids were being a lot and i'd had a couple of drinks so maybe i missed it!

Im probably sticking with no unforced changes at this point. Everyone played such a key role that you really should reward that

Happy to give McKenna the extra week to make sure he is fit, then maybe we reassess.

Im another who isnt convinced by Gardiner forward. I see the reasoning and I do like that he is a very different style to Joe/Hippy. The defensive aggressive tall has been missing for a while. Im just not convinced he has the nous yet. I did prefer when we went with 2 talls and Rayner, but Rayner has looked good with more midfield. So happy to stick with the 3 forwards and until Morris is ready Im not sure anyone else fits the bill quite right

Im probably sticking with no unforced changes at this point. Everyone played such a key role that you really should reward that

Happy to give McKenna the extra week to make sure he is fit, then maybe we reassess.

Im another who isnt convinced by Gardiner forward. I see the reasoning and I do like that he is a very different style to Joe/Hippy. The defensive aggressive tall has been missing for a while. Im just not convinced he has the nous yet. I did prefer when we went with 2 talls and Rayner, but Rayner has looked good with more midfield. So happy to stick with the 3 forwards and until Morris is ready Im not sure anyone else fits the bill quite right
I think if we can start to see some consistency in Rayners game through the middle, we will really begin to see the benefits of having Gardiner in the forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back