Unofficial Preview Changes & discussion v Suns Round 8 @ Gabba.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I think it is time to move on from the Canberra horror show, Suns will be a tough proposition.

Top 4 gone, top 8 will be a struggle from here.

Outs - Darcy Fort, Darcy Gardiner, Kai Lohmann, Callum Ah Chee.

Ins - Oscar McInerney, Bruce Reville, Shadeau Brain, Harry Sharp.

Good chance for Reville to get a look in if he performs in the VFL on Saturday, particularly with Ah Chee going down.

Likewise Morris.

Reckon the Suns will set themselves for this one and probably roll us. This season is a write off. Players have lost the hunger & belief. Not dismissing the possibility we re-set this off season, refresh mentally, bring Levi Ashcroft in and get Kiddy, Washcroft and Doedee back and get amongst it again in 2025 but 2024 is done and dusted.

Goes without saying, but we desperately need to win this. Next 6 games are very winnable on paper but the wheels could well and truly come off if we lose to the Suns to kick off that stretch.

Fort and Ah Chee (if injured) out, and I think the Gardiner up forward experiment is over too. I'm not convinced shuffling personnel is going to do a whole lot though.

Meh, no changes that we know we need will be made. Ah Chee probably gone so we will obviously replace him with Lyons and Fort to be replaced by Big O, that'll be all that happens because no doubt Fagan has spoken about something with stats showing we were the better team or whatever and not to catastrophise it.

Out: Hipwood, Gardiner, Ah Chee (inj)
In: Morris/Smith, Reville, Prior (sub)

Clug to wing, Tunstill into midfield rotation

Time to have a look at a couple of players in their best positions for a few weeks - no point them playing on ball in 2s and then get stuck in a pocket. No kids as sub either, would rather start a Tunstill type and sub out at 3qt as they aren’t going to have a big impact in a final quarter

Pretty sure the Suns would of watched us tonight and licked their lips
They have lots of young kids with speed who like to run.
Been our kryptonite for years.
I think Kiddy out was our season done.

Should drop Dizzy, Hipwood and Berry (Gets the ball just butchers it all the time)
Ah Chee looks a out
Fort will go for Oscar

In Morris, Ryan, and Bruce.. .

More likely Ah Chee and Fort out and Lyons/Oscar in.

Its getting to time that some big calls need to be made. Backing players to preform no matter what is probably reaching the end of what it can deliver.

If Oscar is fit hes straight in for Fort. No brainer here, Oscar isnt a super star but you see the massive drop off when he's out.

Ah Chee out (hammy) > either Prior or Sharp. Need to bring a proper winger into the team to replace him and not a inside mid out of position. I also wouldnt be against sending McCluggage wide again

Gardiner out. Its been a failure of an attempt. Not sure if its him or if its the third tall role. But our offence is flat and we have no defensive run. Our finals run was built off two talls and Rayner so just maybe go back to that.

I think we might have to make a big call and drop Hipwood too. I've defended him a lot over the last year or so but his effort was terrible. Might as well throw Ryan or Morris in to shake up the team as well.

Im tempted to drop Lohman as well. Its rough on a kid and he has shown signs, but he looked to have multiple times of putting no defensive effort in. He might have been running on empty after last week (if so we should have managed him), but there was some non-negotiable failures by him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Minimal changes can be made because we’ve got so many talls on our list. We need run and carry plus speed which I don’t think we have in the ressies.
Yep, Zorko and Wilmot have been two of our better players this season and we need to lean on them even more along with McKenna, we need to go back to this 'play on at all costs' strategy that suited us last season because opposition are slowing us down atm.

I think we have reached the point where something needs to change. I agree top4 is gone, finals on our performances so far looking shaky. Our second halves are atrocious, the team coming back onto the field has clearly been given sleeping pills rather than gatorade. Somehow the club needs to attach the jumper leads to the players and give them a jolt. Last year it was Gunston and Rich taking a 'training break'. It's too early yet for Fagan to have a coaching break so what do we do? Hipwood and Payne or even Hipwood and Rayner, we have to send a signal we are just not going to continue to roll over and accept those lack of efforts. The suns are playing great footy and their kids believe they can beat anyone on the day and they will run. This has to be the match, at home, where we say - enough is enough.

Out: Hipwood, Ah Chee, Gardiner, Fort

In: Smith, Reville, Tunstil, Oscar

Need to see if any of these guys can play. Give Smith, Reville and Tunstil a few weeks. Maybe one of them shows he can be a long-term player?
Not a fan of the 2 rucks even though Hipwood is an out.... I'd be fine with Hipwood out but at least he has reasonable speed for a big man, Smith and Oscar in the side would make us even slower than last night which was snail like.

O, Reville and Tunstill in I am all for.

Not a fan of the 2 rucks even though Hipwood is an out.... I'd be fine with Hipwood out but at least he has reasonable speed for a big man, Smith and Oscar in the side would make us even slower than last night which was snail like.

O, Reville and Tunstill in I am all for.

If we surround the big boys with speed it should be fine but you do make a fair point. I think we’ll persist with most of our team until the bye and if finals won’t happen we will play the young guys.

Eric won’t get dropped but he’s actually a big name you could afford to “use” to make a statement. He’s a QLD lad on a ridiculous long term contract, no other team would go near. If he cracks the proverbial it’s not like he could move on anyway.

I know he performed strongly enough against NM & and the first quarter against Melbourne but it was a pretty low base he was coming from in comparison. The last 2 weeks have been average, albeit last weeks game wasn’t great for talls.

In the VFL we have Smith and Lane plus Fort.
Honestly we needed speed for a while, no idea why you have 3 list spots taken up with backup rucks.
not sure Smith is much better forward then Fort is although everyone things he is the answer.
Sharp can run all day although no speed.
Madden has speed although butchers the ball.

If we lose to the suns, the season is well and truly over.
If we can manage a win and slowly gain some momentum and just squeeze into the 8 and be in good form coming into finals we can do some damage.

Out: Fort, Gardiner, AhChee
In: Oscar, Smith and Sharp

Lotsof ifs there Dalions.
Can'tsee it happening. We are cooked.

Eric won’t get dropped but he’s actually a big name you could afford to “use” to make a statement. He’s a QLD lad on a ridiculous long term contract, no other team would go near. If he cracks the proverbial it’s not like he could move on anyway.

I know he performed strongly enough against NM & and the first quarter against Melbourne but it was a pretty low base he was coming from in comparison. The last 2 weeks have been average, albeit last weeks game wasn’t great for talls.
The other thing about Eric which just does my head in is that he is the ultimate momentum killer. He gets early shots and invariably misses them when it would get himself and the team up and effectively both go into the shell.

For how long he’s been in the game his goal kicking is just unacceptable. Every tying he’s having a set shot i know so many people around me are cringing and more of the belief he’ll miss. Go back to the twos and sort it out - for once - how he hasn’t been sent back is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back