News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

There's also an option there for the Mayne railyards which I hadn't seen before.
This was always my first preference actually, but the problem is they just did a big expansion of this yard and it'd be a heck of a lot of money wasted.

The ratings are pretty subjective and doesn't seem to take nto account the distance from the CBD. That said, the London Olympic Stadium was a fair distance out of the city (although their public transport system is better than ours).
I think distance to CBD is important, although Hamilton isn't too far away in my view.

This site reckons the stadium should be in Hamilton and then become our home stadium after the games. What are people's thoughts on us moving to Hamilton? Is it close enough to the city?
30 minutes on public transport from the CBD. So it's not really in the city at all.

I believe Freddy Mercury said it best:

1713932492453.png

30 minutes on public transport from the CBD. So it's not really in the city at all.
By train, yes, but it would also have the ability to run the Brisbane Metro buses there along Kingsford Smith Drive.

Ah well, just a thought bubble. I just don't think we're going to get Victoria Park in the end so I'm looking for an alternative. Perhaps we'll just end up staying at the Gabba until it falls down.

Last edited:
By train, yes, but it would also have the ability to run the Brisbane Metro buses there along Kingsford Smith Drive.

Ah well, just a thought bubble. I just don't think we're going to get Victoria Park in the end so I'm looking for alternative. Perhaps we'll just end up staying at the Gabba until it falls down.
I mean it's a nice enough area, you could put it at the end of Eat Street or something which would be pretty cool. But I can see it wearing a bit thin having every home game out there. Kind of like Stadium Australia being miles from Central and the Sydney CBD.

Having it close to Lang Park is just such an obvious winner for me.

I mean it's a nice enough area, you could put it at the end of Eat Street or something which would be pretty cool. But I can see it wearing a bit thin having every home game out there. Kind of like Stadium Australia being miles from Central and the Sydney CBD.
They're trying to fix the issues with Sydney Olympic Park now by connecting it directly to the CBD with a new metro line (as in underground rail, not the bus we're getting that the council call a metro). And funnily enough, there is a long term plan for underground rail directly from the CBD to Hamilton, eventually. That would really mirror what Sydney Olympic Park will be like once that metro line is finished.

They're trying to fix the issues with Sydney Olympic Park now by connecting it directly to the CBD with a new metro line (as in underground rail, not the bus we're getting that the council call a metro). And funnily enough, there is a long term plan for underground rail directly from the CBD to Hamilton, eventually. That would really mirror what Sydney Olympic Park will be like once that metro line is finished.

Yes, they were constructing the new station near my place in the inner west before I moved to Brisbane. At the rate they were going I reckon they're a good chance of finishing it by 2082.

Victoria Park > Hamilton > Gabba > Mayne > BHA;) >>>>> ..... QSAC.

I think that the Gabba would be the best site for the Lions/Cricket, great hospitality precinct and transport but it is just too big a problem to find somewhere suitable for the Lions/Cricket to relocate to for 4 years.

I think that the Gabba would be the best site for the Lions/Cricket, great hospitality precinct and transport but it is just too big a problem to find somewhere suitable for the Lions/Cricket to relocate to for 4 years.
I agree and I think we will end up staying at the Gabba and eventually get a staged re-build at the Gabba sometime after the Olympics.
Something that doesn’t need to meet Olympic requirements.
Which seems a complete waste of opportunity (with IOC funding missed) but wouldn’t be surprised.

One of Steven Miles "terms of reference" to the Quirk review was "don't take into consideration any possible new sports that may be introduced in the near future."
So, Quirk did his review on that basis.
Mostly a waste, although he came up with some suggestions the Government took on board.
Proposed Brisbane Arena site cancelled. Suggested a new site at Roma Street Parklands.
Build a new legacy swimming venue (unlikely) for $620 million at Chandler that will reduce overall costs for the Brisbane Arena construction.
Will be interesting to see the costs when the new validation report comes in for both QSAC and Brisbane Arena.

At that time, it was inevitable Brisbane would include cricket as it was just approved for the LA Olympics.

Miles either had a lightbulb moment after commissioning the review or someone got into his ear about where are you going to play cricket in Brisbane other than Carrara. Carrara is still not listed as an Olympic venue yet but will be used for cricket.

Cricket will be big and two stadiums in the Brisbane area is desirable. Other capital city venues may also be needed.

I have come to the conclusion this is his main reason for upgrades to The Gabba and Suncorp, over the Quirk findings.
Because of that decision you then need to find a stadium for athletics.
With Carrara basically out because of cricket, that meant either upgrading QSAC or build a new athletic venue for that $1.6 billion they allocated for the upgrade.

I believe his second reason is the Lions, AFL, CQ & CA had an influence on Miles as to where are they to be relocated for years if not playing at The Gabba.

The third reason is the school will not need to shut down, even though they will be impacted by building works.
There are votes to be had in those 3 reasons for Steven Miles. David Crisafulli obviously thinks the same.

Can't really blame Miles if the AFL, Lions, CQ, CA, and the school backlash changed his mind.
Also, a lot of posters on BF wanted to stay at The Gabba.

I think Hamilton would be worse than the Gabba site. Complete choke point for anyone trying to get south of the river. Would be a pain getting to and from. That’s even with a huge spend on transport infrastructure.

I think Hamilton would be worse than the Gabba site. Complete choke point for anyone trying to get south of the river. Would be a pain getting to and from. That’s even with a huge spend on transport infrastructure.
Agree with that and it’s just too far away from the city.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This site reckons the stadium should be in Hamilton and then become our home stadium after the games. What are people's thoughts on us moving to Hamilton? Is it close enough to the city?

There are some strange biases in that report...

I understand the appeal of Hamilton but they breeze right over access and congestion. Additionally the need for new railway infrastructure causes the same issues as the Gabba rebuild where rail costs got mixed up in stadium costs. The only real advantage Hamilton has is using undeveloped industrial land. In every other way it's inferior to Vic Park.

Then ranking the square peg in a round hole development that rebuilds the Gabba and hangs a pool on a skyhook above a train station?? That's pretty delusional on so many levels...

The reality is that ultimately Vic Park would end up being better utilised with Brisbane Bold that it ever has been previously. The notion that green space is valuable simply as green space is fanciful. Unless that space serves the public in a fashion that they want to use then it's just a waste of space.

By creating a precinct that in itself will draw people to it the whole area becomes more functional. The additional access to the city with the construction over the ICB links and makes it more accessible by foot... which is what most people want.

The now seemingly verified cost savings just make it a no brainer.

There are some strange biases in that report...

I understand the appeal of Hamilton but they breeze right over access and congestion. Additionally the need for new railway infrastructure causes the same issues as the Gabba rebuild where rail costs got mixed up in stadium costs. The only real advantage Hamilton has is using undeveloped industrial land. In every other way it's inferior to Vic Park.

Then ranking the square peg in a round hole development that rebuilds the Gabba and hangs a pool on a skyhook above a train station?? That's pretty delusional on so many levels...

The reality is that ultimately Vic Park would end up being better utilised with Brisbane Bold that it ever has been previously. The notion that green space is valuable simply as green space is fanciful. Unless that space serves the public in a fashion that they want to use then it's just a waste of space.

By creating a precinct that in itself will draw people to it the whole area becomes more functional. The additional access to the city with the construction over the ICB links and makes it more accessible by foot... which is what most people want.

The now seemingly verified cost savings just make it a no brainer.

It wouldn’t surprise if there was some kind of vested interest there, or at least someone pushing a personal barrow.

Would be awesome for me if they put a foot bridge across to Hawthorne.😜

Would be awesome for me if they put a foot bridge across to Hawthorne.😜

Da lions has outed themselves as a member of the aristocracy of Hawthorne. Sic em!

How much would it cost to fill in the Brisbane river or turn it into a little river like in San Antonio and turn the new land into housing, parkland and Olympic precinct it’d be kind of like a snaking better version of Neom.

The Chinese are masters at reclaiming land.

75% serious.

How much would it cost to fill in the Brisbane river or turn it into a little river like in San Antonio and turn the new land into housing, parkland and Olympic precinct it’d be kind of like shaking and better version of Neom.

The Chinese are masters at reclaiming land.

75% serious.
This would be more cost effective.
1714036086889.png

Da lions has outed themselves as a member of the aristocracy of Hawthorne. Sic em!
I can't say I ever recall viewing "the suburb with the cheap cinema" as the classy end of town.

Speaking of which, is the cinema still there and is it still cheap?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back