Review Round 5, 2024 - Melbourne vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothing in this Answerth beat up. Petty has form and cant take what he dishes out.

Good to see some junkyard dog in the team with Gardner and Answerth. We have been lacking it.

And apparently Petty frequently sledges during games. Being a glass jaw is not a good look if you go down that route.

Surprised there’s not more love for Morty tonight. He’s a gun.
Amazing development for the kid. Never been dropped and gets better every week. He’s becoming the backline general now. He and Coleman have given the side a
different potential. Rarely beaten and reads the play superbly. In my top five. As was Lester. Continues to delight.

I think Fritsch is one of the most overrated footballers. His only 2 goals came from being last in the chain when Melbourne got it over the back and offered nothing else all night

Starce did a great job

Also McVee. Pumped up in the media as an all Australian candidate and got smashed last night

Amazing development for the kid. Never been dropped and gets better every week. He’s becoming the backline general now. He and Coleman have given the side a
different potential. Rarely beaten and reads the play superbly. In my top five. As was Lester. Continues to delight.
Wilmot is an absolute gun.

My view is it shows we are confident and mentally up. It is a good sign.

The actual execution of the cry emote was also excellent.

Agreed. There's no doubt that the way Zorko was stitched up and the follow up trial by media he copped is something that would get some of our players wanting a bit of revenge. Everyone played their role, the game was won and what's wrong with rubbing a bit of salt in the wound. I put my hand up, I would do the same as Noah and mention it a couple of times during the game.

Thought it was a really good sign to see the way the team got around Bailey after his goal and the one he set up for Charlie. Wasn't necessarily a really good game of his but he seemed to be working hard. Also nice to see Hipwood and Rayner have their teammates get around them from some of the things they did in the 1st quarter. The way those two started was exactly how we wanted to play.

First time seeing Lions win in Melb since pre 2007. I feel a monkey off my back having been at a few memorable losses at the MCG since 2019.

MCC members can be sooks, had a bloke next to me have a go after I yelled ball on a big tackle which was paid, saying “you’re really funny aren’t you” repeatedly.

God forbid an away team supporter yell for the same free kicks the home team call for. Glad to see he didn’t return to his reserved seat after half time.

I thought with the Petty thing it was pretty obvious that it was a response to something he said. He seemed to be involved in the niggle all day after every contest. Even got an angry shove from Lester at one stage.

Still, Answerth should be clever enough to say it without doing the actions for all to see!

The hand wringing from the commentators etc is all a show so they / their mates can write stories and get headlines.

First time seeing Lions win in Melb since pre 2007. I feel a monkey off my back having been at a few memorable losses at the MCG since 2019.

MCC members can be sooks, had a bloke next to me have a go after I yelled ball on a big tackle which was paid, saying “you’re really funny aren’t you” repeatedly.

God forbid an away team supporter yell for the same free kicks the home team call for. Glad to see he didn’t return to his reserved seat after half time.

Surprised you were able to distract him away from his cheese board.

I think it's a huge compliment to him that despite being in just his 34th game, it's somewhat a given that he will play to a high standard and we expect that of him these days.

yep one poster in particular non stop on Fages and players like Payne and Berry, who had operations and interrupted preseasons, and obviously were a bit underdone the first couple rounds.
We demand 100% BLIND LOYALTY! Who is this Fifth-Columnist you speak of? Don’t tell me! Dylan12 isn’t back is he?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A high quality win by you blokes. A statement game against a team that was happy with what it achieved in Adelaide.

If you provided just half the amount of pressure in the grand final as you did last night, you'd still be celebrating a premiership.

Tackles last night - Brisbane + 29
Tackles in the GF - Brisbane - 20

Credit to leigh montagna in the media who said a couple of days ago against nearly every commentator that he thought we would win because Melbourne's clearance and ground ball numbers weren't that good and were being covered up by very good goal kicking. Also said clearances was our strength and if we can get the ball forward and lock it in, we'll go well. 100% correct on all counts.

Last edited:
A high quality win by you blokes. A statement game against a team that was happy with what it achieved in Adelaide.

If you provided just half the amount of pressure in the grand final as you did last night, you'd still be celebrating a premiership.

Tackles last night - Brisbane + 29
Tackles in the GF - Brisbane - 20

It's an interesting point this raises. Last few years we've been a team that favours applying pressure and closing down space as opposed to tackling (last year we were last in tackle differential and fourth in pressure act differential).

Last night it felt like there was a conscious shift to trying to tackle the opposition as opposed to corralling them. Will be interesting to see if this is an ongoing thing.

Credit to leigh montagna in the media who said a couple of days ago against nearly every commentator that he thought he would win because Melbourne's clearance and ground ball numbers weren't that good and were being covered up by very good goal kicking. Also said clearances was our strength and if we can get the ball forward and lock it in, we'll go well. 100% correct on all counts.

The Melbourne list is nearing a bit of a cross-roads. They have relied so heavily on Gawn and May and those two are 1-2 years away from retiring. Plus there are a few other older guys, and someone like Oliver on a long-term deal is currently $1m in cap playing bog awful VFL footy.

Touch wood he doesn't, but if Gawn were to go down with a season ending injury tomorrow. Their season would be cooked.

That was a very good win, I now feel much better about life. I was impressed how they slowed the game down and retained possession with short kicks. I don't think they have ever tackled as well as they did in this game. Nobody gets past the Frog when he puts the clamps on. Prior to the season I thought Zorko had made the wrong decision to play on this year but as it turned out we are very lucky he did. His professionalism and the way he presents himself every week is a credit to the man. Now if we can just rinse and repeat every week.

Credit to leigh montagna in the media who said a couple of days ago against nearly every commentator that he thought we would win because Melbourne's clearance and ground ball numbers weren't that good and were being covered up by very good goal kicking. Also said clearances was our strength and if we can get the ball forward and lock it in, we'll go well. 100% correct on all counts.

Best part of that was listening to Kingy in the background.🤔😂

I thought with the Petty thing it was pretty obvious that it was a response to something he said. He seemed to be involved in the niggle all day after every contest. Even got an angry shove from Lester at one stage.

Still, Answerth should be clever enough to say it without doing the actions for all to see!

The hand wringing from the commentators etc is all a show so they / their mates can write stories and get headlines.

I can feel another media beat-up brewing.

It will be just another example of an action on an AFL football being over-analysed by an rabid and overblown football media, searching relentlessly for the next great narrative to devour. Minor incidents (as this is) are magnified into front page stories to sell papers and generate internet traffic via clickbait.

This is coupled with breathless overblown analysis of why teams win or lose.

Social media adds further to the hyperbole and over-reaction.

Just waiting now for the annual 'club in crisis' story.

Most of it not really to be taken seriously.

Back