Opinion St Kilda Team of the 21st Century (Rolling)

Remove this Banner Ad

curnow inferno

Team Captain
Nov 22, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
CHANGES AT END OF 2023:
INS: SINCLAIR, WILKIE, MARSHALL
OUTS: THOMPSON, HUDGHTON, EVERITT

CHANGES AT END OF 2020:
IN: J.STEELE, T.MEMBREY
OUT: S.BAKER, S.LOEWE

FBS.DEMPSTERC.WILKIE*A.JONES
HBB.GODDARDS.FISHERJ.SINCLAIR*
CN.DAL SANTOL.HAYES (vc)L.MONTAGNA
HFA.HAMILLN.RIEWOLDT (c)J.GRESHAM*
FFS.MILNEF.GEHRIGT.MEMBREY*
RRR.MARSHALL*J.STEVENR.HARVEY
INTJ.STEELE*L.BALLS.ROSS*J.GEARY
COACH:ROSS LYON*

thoughts?

Last edited:

something that was originally started for a book on afl in the 21st century but never got published which i continued with anyway.

basically just a best 22 of this century with a minimum of 50 games to qualify.

FB: S.DEMPSTER-----M.HUDGHTON-----J.GEARY*
HB: B.GODDARD----S.FISHER --------- A.JONES
C: N.DAL SANTO----L.HAYES (vc)------ L.MONTAGNA
HF: A.HAMILL-------N.RIEWOLDT (c)---J.GRESHAM*
FF: S.MILNE---------F.GEHRIG --------- S.LOEWE
RR: P.EVERITT------J.STEVEN*--------- R.HARVEY
INT: L.BALL --- S.ROSS*--- A.THOMPSON--- S.BAKER
COACH: ROSS LYON

thoughts?
Good effort mate. Pretty damn close. 4 changes for me …

In: J.Blake, D.Roberton, A.Schnieder & M.Gardiner
Out: J.Geary, S.Ross, S.Loewe & P.Everitt

Dempster - Hudgeton - Baker
Goddard - Fisher - Aussie
Dal - Lenny - Joey
Hamill - Roo - Gresh
Milne - Gherig - Schnieds
Gardiner - Harvey - Steven
Ball - Thompson - Blake - Roberton

Everitt: only made it to 02, so not enough of a body of work for me. Gardiner in his place.
Loewe: ditto. Also makes our forwardline too tall. Schnieds plays in a pocket instead.
Geary: much better options for the back pocket in Bakes and Dempster. Blake comes into the backline allowing Fish to play 3rd tall. JB can also 2nd ruck.
Ross: doesn't belong among that midfield. I went with Robbo instead as he slots into the backline if / when Blake rucks or BJ pushes up the ground.
Also happy to consider any / all of C.Jones, B.Voss, J.Gram or J.Billings before Ross.

Moral to the story, Gresh is probably the only player on our list next year that would have been a walk up start (2004-2010). Roma, Billings and Members maybe (depending on the year). Shows how far off it we are!

Last edited:
-for me I didn't really consider gardiner. It was a toss up between everitt and mcevoy and i ended up going for everitt because he won the bnf in 2001 and was one of the best in comp for that short period.

-i agree with schneider over loewe.

-does geary actually play back pocket? i know he is a general defender but not sure how he goes as a lock down on a small forward? baker only really played 1 or 2 seasons at back pocket.

-what's the knock on ross? dual best and fairest player i would've assumed is a lock on the bench but obviously you watch a lot closer.
Gears does his best work when he is locking down on a small forward. Has a very good record doing so.

Ross is the whipping boy with a lot of supporters right now who just don't like anything he does. I would have him on the bench as well and don't see how you could name Gresh or Roberton over him.

B: S. Baker| M. Hudghton | S. Dempster
HB: B. Goddard | M. Maguire | S. Fisher
C: L. Montagna | L. Hayes | N. Dal Santo
HF: A. Schneider | N. Riewoldt | J. Steven
F: S. Milne | F. Gehrig | J. Blake
Foll: J. Koschitzke | L. Ball | R. Harvey
INT: A. Thompson | C. Jones | A. Jones | B. Voss

Always felt Chips did his best work as a third tall and Goose before his leg injury was a boss at CHB for us with a booming boot, Blake & Goddard as utilities, Voss in to give Baker a chop out for run with and Aussie in to also allow a release for HB wing as they along with Dempster no matter who just put in work. Centre line picks itself. Stuv butchers the ball too much for mid time but is too good to leave out so finds a flank and Schneids on the other for rotation, Rooey and Fraser along with Milne pick themselves, and again pending injury Kozi was a world beater and rotates with Blake for ruck duties as Gardy, Spider and co didn't hang around enough for mine. Roving, again barring injury, Ball was an everywhere man and Harvs was heart. Seb close but his slow start to the AFL system costs him so went with more intent to be professional in ethic and Clint as between him and Baker at their best, aint no midfield stopping our options.

Burned people not withstanding.

Good effort mate. Pretty damn close. 4 changes for me …

In: J.Blake, D.Roberton, A.Schnieder & M.Gardiner
Out: J.Geary, S.Ross, S.Loewe & P.Everitt

Dempster - Hudgeton - Baker
Goddard - Fisher - Aussie
Dal - Lenny - Joey
Hamill - Roo - Gresh
Milne - Gherig - Schnieds
Gardiner - Harvey - Steven
Ball - Thompson - Blake - Roberton

Everitt: only made it to 02, so not enough of a body of work for me. Gardiner in his place.
Loewe: ditto. Also makes our forwardline too tall. Schnieds plays in a pocket instead.
Geary: much better options for the back pocket in Bakes and Dempster. Blake comes into the backline allowing Fish to play 3rd tall. JB can also 2nd ruck.
Ross: doesn't belong among that midfield. I went with Robbo instead as he slots into the backline if / when Blake rucks or BJ pushes up the ground.
Also happy to consider any / all of C.Jones, B.Voss, J.Gram or J.Billings before Ross.

Moral to the story, Gresh is probably the only player on our list next year that would have been a walk up start (2004-2010). Roma, Billings and Members maybe (depending on the year). Shows how far off it we are!
You're kidding right? Firstly Ross has better numbers in a worse team than most of the players on this list. Secondly, our team in the mid to late 00s had 10 good players and a team that finished with Robert Eddy. I'd be willing to bet that, as bad as we are, the majority of players in our current 22 could get a game ahead of the bottom 6 of our best 22 in the Lyon era.

something that was originally started for a book on afl in the 21st century but never got published which i continued with anyway.

basically just a best 22 of this century with a minimum of 50 games to qualify.

FB: S.DEMPSTER-----M.HUDGHTON-----J.GEARY*
HB: B.GODDARD----S.FISHER --------- A.JONES
C: N.DAL SANTO----L.HAYES (vc)------ L.MONTAGNA
HF: A.HAMILL-------N.RIEWOLDT (c)---J.GRESHAM*
FF: S.MILNE---------F.GEHRIG --------- S.LOEWE
RR: P.EVERITT------J.STEVEN*--------- R.HARVEY
INT: L.BALL --- S.ROSS*--- A.THOMPSON--- S.BAKER
COACH: ROSS LYON

thoughts?
i wouldnt have Hamill in there statistically speaking Bruce or Membry from the current team would be a better fit
i reckon Gram gets a look in ahead of Aussie Jones.. hes final year maybe makes people forget how damn good he could be his 09 G/F game was fantastic and had we won he would have taken home the Norm Smith and if we are going from 2000 Aussie only played until 2005 and while his 2004 was epic i reckon Gram might have him just ...
Stewie Loewe was on the steady incline in the 2000's so i wouldnt have him listed either perhaps Spida to the forward line and Gardiner in the ruck .
although he was a whipping boy Gilbert and Blake would need to be in consideration as would Clint Jones

A skillful player that has been missed, Xavier Clarke. He played 105 games for us between 2002 and 2008. Remember those screamers he used to take early on that nearly caused Grant Thomas to have a fit? After Nicky Winmar Xavier would be our longest serving Indigenous player. HE was very versatile and I would have him on the bench for sure.

What about the 'coulda beens' ? Not total failures without hope but the players we drafted then hyped up and waited on...

B: J.Attard - T.Smpkin - D.Archer
HB: A.Siposs - T.Walsh - J.W.Smith
C: L.Miles - M.McGough - N.Winmar
HF: T.Milera - S.White - S.Birss
F: A.Saad - T.Lee - R.Tungatulum
R: M.Rix - L.Fisher - T.Ledger
I: J.Allen - M.Ferguson - A.Smith - D.Markworth

That's only up until 2013, not to mentioned we traded in guys like TDL, Gamble, Gardiner, Brooks...

A skillful player that has been missed, Xavier Clarke. He played 105 games for us between 2002 and 2008. Remember those screamers he used to take early on that nearly caused Grant Thomas to have a fit? After Nicky Winmar Xavier would be our longest serving Indigenous player. HE was very versatile and I would have him on the bench for sure.
he was a fantastic player but having that run of injurys i think rules him out of the best 22 .. he would not be out of place as first emergancy though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he was a fantastic player but having that run of injurys i think rules him out of the best 22 .. he would not be out of place as first emergancy though

Is where I had him, as stated, his injuries really were quite consistent so not a starter since say unlike a Maguire who was "like a car crash" or Kozi who cracked a skull, his body just consistently could not handle AFL footy but he had skill for the game and flair.

Him, Gram and Ross were my EMG in shortlist.

What about the 'coulda beens' ? Not total failures without hope but the players we drafted then hyped up and waited on...

That's only up until 2013, not to mentioned we traded in guys like TDL, Gamble, Gardiner, Brooks...
i dont think many people over hyped Luke Miles he was a second round Rookie selection who trained well and was rewarded for his efforts with a couple games in the seniors before being delisted.. aside from winning the grandfinal sprint i dont think anyone really have high expectations of him making it ..

Ali Smith now that was a tough break.. imagine being a young up and coming midfielder trying to crack into the seniors in 2009 & 2010 tough task to displace Dal Santo, Montagna or Hayes especially with Ross Lyon as coach but again he was a forth round selection so again not much hype for him i would imagine

Will Johnson was one i thought was going to be a good prospect but alas i was wrong

i wouldnt have Hamill in there statistically speaking Bruce or Membry from the current team would be a better fit
i reckon Gram gets a look in ahead of Aussie Jones.. hes final year maybe makes people forget how damn good he could be his 09 G/F game was fantastic and had we won he would have taken home the Norm Smith and if we are going from 2000 Aussie only played until 2005 and while his 2004 was epic i reckon Gram might have him just ...
Stewie Loewe was on the steady incline in the 2000's so i wouldnt have him listed either perhaps Spida to the forward line and Gardiner in the ruck .
although he was a whipping boy Gilbert and Blake would need to be in consideration as would Clint Jones

A forgotten player James Gwilt .

A forgotten player James Gwilt .

I've always maintained that if we played Gwilt in the 09 GF instead of Dempster then we win.

Jimmy's work as a hit up forward for most of 09 was fantastic.

I’m still surprised that Siposs never made it. Look a ripping player early days.

I’m still surprised that Siposs never made it. Look a ripping player early days.

Had plenty of talent, didn't initially have the work ethic and was treated in a non-optimal manner by Watters, made to mend his ways under Richo, developed the work ethic just as his body failed and he was out of contract.

I've always maintained that if we played Gwilt in the 09 GF instead of Dempster then we win.

Jimmy's work as a hit up forward for most of 09 was fantastic.

I'd have pissed off mini personally, Dempster had the work ethic and options but mini Mcqualter just had being tiny and ineffectual in anything that was listed as "contested". Then you see his fresh air kick in the first and you understand he really shat himself good and proper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back