Autopsy Round 8, 2024 : Hawks leash the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, would be ideal. We’ve got a connection with the G, and built up one in tassie. Zero connection with docklands, and it’s just an awful experience watching football inside, in an otherwise deserted concrete precinct.

Sorry to derail, but I get angry thinking about how the afl will try shaft us here. Particularly with bombers and blues scrounging for more games at the G.
Of the 5 teams that call Marvel their home ground, only the Dogs in 2016 have won a premiership since it opened. And that was a pretty lucky flag. Getting the G as our home ground was a master stroke by the club.

Certainly better to wake up this morning after a hard fought win.

My ramblings

• Meek was massive - Is now mixing it with the best
  • Impey best game in the brown & gold
  • Scrimma has arrived - playing like a 1st round pick
  • Real captains game from Sis, led from the front
  • All the older mature players played well, 1st game that has happened this season
  • Calsher - Has a presence about him, great size and mobility. Can't wait until he add 10kg+ to his frame
  • We tackled with intent
  • Red time goals - :straining:
  • We played well enough to win by 4+ goals, missed a few gettables.
  • Love the Wiz, natural forward. Will be a joy to watch
  • Won the free kick count - even without the obvious throws and HTB not being called
  • Big chance this week, Saints not playing well. Ross has Rossed them
  • Backline was huge - Not enough love for Frosty, gives 100%. Weddle has freakish abilities.
  • Day struggling but not unexpected
  • Tough selection headaches this week with Chol & possibly Wingard & Bruest to come back in.
Go Hawks

My ramblings

• All the older mature players played well, 1st game that has happened this season
  • Calsher - Has a presence about him, great size and mobility. Can't wait until he add 10kg+ to his frame
  • We tackled with intent
  • Won the free kick count - even without the obvious throws and HTB not being called
  • Backline was huge - Not enough love for Frosty, gives 100%. Weddle has freakish abilities.
  • Tough selection headaches this week with Chol & possibly Wingard & Bruest to come back in.
Go Hawks
perfect summary. I also think our centre clearances still need improvement. and yes, hopefully we will move to kicking more goals than behinds soon.

My ramblings

• We tackled with intent
Go Hawks

Wingard is still a few weeks off according to Sam's presser. Is on a block of VFL games to build AFL level fitness.

What a mighty sight it is when Weddle pins his ears back and accelerates like Usain Bolt through the middle of the ground. Explosive running power coupled with huge stamina. The mind boggles
No Dogs player could come near him, he's a weapon. Little tidying up to do on the disposal after some of those runs, but man can he break a line!

I think Finn deserves some recognition for playing well. Aside from a goal on the run that he should have nailed, and one suspect handball, he was good with ball in hand. He also has incredible strength standing up in tackles, which he showed again on multiple occasions. He competes well in the air too. I quite like him playing on the HFF.

Last edited:
I think Finn deserves some recognition for playing well. Aside from a goal on the run that he should have nailed, and one suspect handball, he was good by foot. He also has incredible strength standing up in tackles, which he showed again on multiple occasions. He competes well in the air too. I quite like him playing on the HFF.
Agree. Has surprised me in that role. He always feels like the obvious player to come out of the team when someone returns but is doing enough to hang in there. Credit to him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m a little concerned Nash might have something to answer for though. With 8:35 left to go in the last he gets called for a throw and then bumps the umpire who made the call.

I don’t think he did it deliberately, so I’m hoping it’s just a fine.

Playing Sicily up forward in the last was a match winning move. Who would have thought.

Lots of credit going to Sam for this but he said in the presser that it was actually Sicily and Hardwick that suggested they swap. Sicily couldn't defend after the ankle and either had to stop playing or put himself in a position where he wouldn't damage the team.

The coaching credit comes in for Sam for deliberately encouraging training in these second positions to allow the players to make those calls. If Dimma doesn't train as a forward over summer, the structures might not work and you end up a man down in the last, or a guy seriously out of position.

I thought Hardwick showed real discipline and leadership going through his different roles yesterday.

Jack Reiwoldt provides some pretty insightful special comments

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
My favourite was when Sicily was asking CMac for the ball and someone else said he was just telling him to settle down. And Jack said "No, he wanted the ball for a shot"

Dogs board real soft
Why would anyone post there after that loss? It is not like we would take opposition posting well if a shock loss like that happened to us

Playing Sicily up forward in the last was a match winning move. Who would have thought.
It wasn't a tactical decision by the coaching staff.

It was suggested to Sam by Sic at the 3/4 time break because his ankle was stuffed and he couldn't jump.

Move was based on nothing else other than Sic could've been exposed in defence as a liability as he couldn't move properly.

I think Finn deserves some recognition for playing well. Aside from a goal on the run that he should have nailed, and one suspect handball, he was good with ball in hand. He also has incredible strength standing up in tackles, which he showed again on multiple occasions. He competes well in the air too. I quite like him playing on the HFF.
Its really perfect when a team plays a gun off half back like Sheezel or Naicos - it forces that team into a positional move which is a win. If he could hit the scoreboard for 10-20 goals a season then its a huge win for us

Best game lmpey has ever played in his life.
Just incredible.
Feels like people forget just how good Jars was in the seasons immediately after he joined us.

He’s played better than yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back