Autopsy Round 7, 2024 : Hawks get pecked by Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Cmac isn't going to make it for us IMO. Lacks the burst of speed required for his position and therefore gets caught with the ball far too much. Second to that Nash isn't in our next premiership side either. Doesn't get enough of it and doesn't pose any kind of offensive threat at all.

Tough watch at the game today and rally, it was a different level of class today watching them and us. Issue is, they probably made as many mistake as we did, which shows our effort and pressure was good, but when they had a chance to punish us, they did. They kicked their goals, they hit up targets with regularity, and their structure held up.

We also have, too often, a too many players go,into,contests, leaving opposition on the outside, and we allow the ball out, then get smacked as we’re then outnumbered.

Lewis not playing is becoming an issue. We need his presence badly. Gunston was flogged today, Chol seems to pick and choose when he wants to have a crack.

I was at the game so don't have the luxury of my normal perspective on the game.
The effort was there all day but:
1. No marks. Cant' remember anyone taking marks on the outlet (Maybe one by Meek?) But no big marks from Chol or Ramma, or Weddle or Sic. It's really hard to play the swans if you can't win marking contests. No marking in our forward line either unless it was uncontested or heavily favoured the forward.
2. Swans are great. They gave us no breathing room at all.
3. As a young team we rely on momentum more than an experienced team. Those overturned goals and the horrible goal kicking killed us. Gunston, Ginni, Hardwick, Moore all missing really easy shots from right in front.
4. Loved Scrimma's game. Just a huge effort all day long.
5. Warner, Heeney and Gulden are FAST and STRONG. We don't have anyone in that category. Warner just couldn't be touched when he got the ball and he made things happen every time.
6. I love Will Day

Can't help but think the vitriol thrown at Chol wouldn't be as bad if he was white
He doesn't deserve it (most people are correctly sticking up for him) but it is what seems to happen to KPF recruits that don't set the world on fire immediately especially if they give away stupid free kicks that cost us a goal. OBrien, Kozzie, Vickery, Gunston now all copped the same treatment.

I think he is going to turn out to be a great pick up once we get the right structure and fix our game plan - he might look like he is casual sometimes but he is putting in more effort than most.

Hoping to see something like this soon and think Chol will prove damaging in it

Moore Lewis Ginnivan
Watsob Deer Chol

Wingard on bench.

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He doesn't deserve it (most people are correctly sticking up for him) but it is what seems to happen to KPF recruits that don't set the world on fire immediately especially if they give away stupid free kicks that cost us a goal.

I think he is going to turn out to be a great pick up once we get the right structure and fix our game plan - he might look like he is casual sometimes but he is putting in more effort than most.

Hoping to see something like this soon and think Chol will prove damaging in it

Moore Lewis Ginnivan
Watsob Deer Chol

Wingard on bench.

Chol can't handle being main forward.
But he wasn't recruited to be the main forward. So there you have it.
He's lost confidence over the last couple of weeks unfortunately - but some of his chases and tackles are awesome to watch - especially at the game.

The vitriol aimed at him is excessive.

Chol did more than Gunston (and that includes the soft free he gave away).

Not sure why he cops it when the captain has been sub par but seems to get a pass.
Sadly Gunston (and bruest) should never play again except maybe for a farewell game.

Sicily is a big problem, I hope he improves if we actually start playing a second KPD so he can get back do what he does best as a third/loose tall. Better happen next week as Naughton, Darcy, Lobb will tear us up.

I think it’s understandable where we are at… We’re missing our key position players in Blanck and Lewis for all of the year or close to it. That takes away from our structure, especially as we lack depth.

We are also missing Day for most of 2024 and Jiath.

I’d like to see Phillips, Dear and O’Sullivan in next week.
None of the players you mentioned would have been any different. Average to below average players.

Sicily has been going through the motions for most of the season so far. Injured? Confidence? Attitude? Captain should be setting the standard and from the stands it doesn't look like he is. Yeah it's tough out there but gotta keep showing up. The team needs a Richie Vandenberg right now - just a hard nut who has a crack. Wonder if he'll relinquish it at the end of the year.

Sicily has been going through the motions for most of the season so far. Injured? Confidence? Attitude? Captain should be setting the standard and from the stands it doesn't look like he is. Yeah it's tough out there but gotta keep showing up. The team needs a Richie Vandenberg right now - just a hard nut who has a crack. Wonder if he'll relinquish it at the end of the year.
The Stringer model, rises around contract time...?

I joke but maybe the ACL has given him more grief than we think. He doesn't look as mobile this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey I’ve got a good idea now I’ve got the ball - I’ll handball it to a guy right next to me

Me too

Me too

Yeah me…

Ah s**t got caught

All night!!
One thing hasn’t changed in 150 years of football. There is only one football !!!!!!
You don’t need 4 players within 2 metres of the ball handling to each other while your opposition peel off to take away your clearance options. Almost every screen shot had more Hawks than Swans in shot. You can’t tell me the oppo coaches haven’t worked it out by now. Let the Hawks get the ball close in. Opposition doesn’t hunt the ball, it hunts the receiver.

Putting it out there if our poor for, since 2018 had its genises when Clarkson got rid of Mitchell hodge and Lewis. It tore friendships up and made everyone feel uneasy.
Sam comming back , being good cop while clarkson was bad cop is undoing Sam.
Getting rid of clarksons players is proving a bad move.
Is this revenge. Clean slate but is anyone able to explain the game plan and there are no real wow factor players like Warner Heaney, papersley. Longmire gets agitated when things don’t go right as has been mentioned.
It’s no sport to say to your players “good try”.
What’s happened to newk and Nash. With meek spreading his body around we should be doing a lot better.

there is no chemistry anywhere on the ground. Our selections, positions and matchups are plain awful. How we think we can structure up back and fwd and win games is just staggering. And that doesn

It’s the worst skilled side in the comp. I dont include north Melb.

Quite simply our players just have no idea what is going on out there and what to do. It’s excruciating to watch. We are in an enormous hole. We are stale which is a really big concern for a rebuilding side.

Trying to reserve judgement until we’re able to routinely field our best 22 but the way we’ve gone about it this season is beyond disappointing.

The lack of leadership, accountability and buy-in amongst the playing group, and the opaque vision and direction from the coaching staff compounds the concerns.

That’s Dylan Moore.

This coaching is working in box hill games. Sydney2 looke potent in Q1
because Box Hill is playing like we did at our best last year - there was less overuse and round and round handball and more run and overlap run and more diverse angled entries into the forward line (such as it was last year), more of a structure and game plan evident and players were where team mates expected them to be or needed them to be - all gone totally backwards this year

The contest that resulted in 3 Hawk defenders lying on top of eachother in a pile was sadly hilarious..

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app
It looked like 3 but when they got up it was 4. We were laughing.

There is no chemistry anywhere on the ground with our side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back