Autopsy Round 7, 2024 : Hawks get pecked by Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

the loss is not surprising at all. The manner of the loss is what really grinds the gears.

We won last week against an equally woeful Roos due to one good quarter of good football. We were really ordinary in the second half last week and I was hoping like hell that the win would at least bring some belief and improvement. Nope.

All year we have struggled with defending from our F50. Nothing has changed. I don’t know whether the players are fully responsible for this but opposition just waltz through in most cases or kick through with little to no pressure.

We are not a quick team and our lateral movement is horrible. If we train for endurance, let’s play a style that brings that out.

Coaches need to take some heat

Because there's no space to lead to.

He has one KPP putting the body on him and another standing in his leading lane. The opposition show zero respect to Dimma or Gunston.

What we need is the other forwards to lead to open up spaces for Chol to run into.

Instead we get the same predictable high ball to no one in particular and have to hope that Chol is in the position to contest it.

Our forward line is so stagnant it's beyond frustrating. Same thing happens with
The stagnancy seems to happen the whole ground over when things aren’t going the teams way. Coming out defence, there just seems to be no one moving or attempting to make space, the ball movement is at a snails pace. It becomes all too easy for oppo defences, especially ones as disciplined as Sydneys to fill any possible leading lanes for the forwards. More pace needed coming from up the ground.

Swans are a terrific team. They have gut runners everywhere, solid citizens down back that scrap and scrap for every play and some serious beasts like Warner and Heeney destroying you with class on the inside and outside and you throw in Gulden who runs laps of the MCG for fun and gets you with a laser left foot .

Amartey McDonald McLean Papley is enough to keep you in games in a big final and the Lizard darting through the centre is a handful.

We gave it everything in the first qtr. we threw the kitchen sink at them with smothers and effort and still gave up 6 goals.

Our skill level by hand to our fellas feet, and then by foot is horrendous.

We struggle to hit targets by foot in every game.

It's easy to get frustrated and angry about how we're going. But then, you get some perspective of how it really is. Other than North, every team we've played is in the 8 (3 in the top 4) or just outside (Pies, current premiers and the Suns). I can see us getting a string of wins when we play sides around us.

It's easy to get frustrated and angry about how we're going. But then, you get some perspective of how it really is. Other than North, every team we've played is in the 8 (3 in the top 4) or just outside (Pies, current premiers and the Suns). I can see us getting a string of wins when we play sides around us.
I had a good look at the ladder positions of our oppositions from this year, it actually helped a lot. God knows how the third last team from the previous year can cop a draw like this to start the season.

Good to see Day back out there today. Reckon we've missed him terribly and look forward to him building into it over the coming weeks.

Lovely to see Bud out there with Lewis and their kids - having him out there and allowing us to finally celebrate him / acknowledge what he achieved with us was long overdue.

Game was rough viewing obviously, and goals were few and far between for us unfortunately.

Onto the Doggies!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope so my good Stottzy! I hope so!! 😃

Gunston had 1 disposal in the first half. FFS you have to sub him off the back of that.

It was a disturbing watch. The stats say otherwise, but if I'm an oppo fan, I'm saying they're not playing for the coach.

The white flag went up the minute Chol reversed that Hardwick goal. Game over at that point.

How mentally fragile are this group??

Where is rock bottom??? I'm afraid we're not there yet.

I'm retiring Gunston now and taking 2 picks in the MSD. The only thing to look forward to are high picks in any of the drafts.

Play Phillips next week.

The only positive of the day was seeing Buds kids in our colours.

A truly dark day for the club.

One positive on a pretty dark day was that big Meeksy took it right up to Grundy who is no mug.

I am getting more and more confident by the week that we have found our Number 1 ruck for the next three to five years which is a relief.

I think he will get better and better in the latter half of the season as well as his confidence grows.

Gunston had 1 disposal in the first half. FFS you have to sub him off the back of that.

It was a disturbing watch. The stats say otherwise, but if I'm an oppo fan, I'm saying they're not playing for the coach.

The white flag went up the minute Chol reversed that Hardwick goal. Game over at that point.

How mentally fragile are this group??

Where is rock bottom??? I'm afraid we're not there yet.

I'm retiring Gunston now and taking 2 picks in the MSD. The only thing to look forward to are high picks in any of the drafts.

Play Phillips next week.

The only positive of the day was seeing Buds kids in our colours.

A truly dark day for the club.
I think it’s understandable where we are at… We’re missing our key position players in Blanck and Lewis for all of the year or close to it. That takes away from our structure, especially as we lack depth.

We are also missing Day for most of 2024 and Jiath.

I’d like to see Phillips, Dear and O’Sullivan in next week.

So 61 possessions less and 22 less tackles.

I don't think it is the endeavor - could it be we are so slow we cannot get to the player to tackle?

How blessed were we having both Poppy and Cyril in the forward 50 who had incredible speed.

We are almost as slow as Treacle in our forward half!
No pressure!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back