VFL Round 10, 2018: Sandringham v Frankston - TBB Oval, Sunday 10th June, 2:00PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Billings into his 5th AFL season.
75 games at Ave 19.8 Disposals.
Matt Lappin after 5 completed seasons,
59 games at Ave 14.2 Disposals and Career Disposal Ave was 16.09.
Stats from Wikipedia.
Haha what’s Matt Lappin got to do with anything?

I'M SERIOUSLY FED UP with the Jack Billings haters go f yourselves.

He is a young star who yesterday proved how good he is...no one has got anywhere near those numbers in the VFL this year against Frankston or anyone else....he can only play who he is against and he played well and will be back next week and dominate yet again this time against the Suns.

Great work JB.

53 touches and 3 goals. I'm assuming the Zebras have found a way to move the ball that doesn't involve a switch via full back every time.
Hey we're too crap to find our way through the opposition team, let's just try to go around them and avoid playing football. It's great, we get past them without a contest all the way to the half forward line. Then we see some opposition jumpers and crap our pants with an indiscriminate kick to a nest of them. How about Stuv's kick inside 50 to Paddy and 4 Swans on the weekend. Found himself with all the time in the world and that was the best thing he could think of to do. Bloody hell.

This idea of drafting/recruiting key positions first then worrying about the mids. All good as long as you're still in your job, you still have your sponsors and the supporters are still attending games by the time the mids come along. Oh and so long as the keys you recruited are actually good enough to be playing in the ones. Sorry, got the Monday blues. And we're still not even in line for pick 1, can't believe it.
I'll be back to my moderate attempts at mild humour and semi-light-hearted observations in a few days.
This is the Zebras thread, don't know why you ranted about switching.

Wasn't needed against Frankston. With Billing, Freeman and Armo opening the field up with precision disposals.

Billing and Freeman were excellent in breaking any press The Dolphins tried.

No need to switch when the opposition can't play the press.
Football even at VFL level is about the press. Getting around it is part of football. Nothing to do with no trying to play football to beat it.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Haha what’s Matt Lappin got to do with anything?
he suggested the only reason he got that much of the ball was because the coach of Frankston is a St Kilda ruck coach and he just let him do what he wanted

or something like that

billings is NOT a centre square mid and never will be. He's ok at stoppages but not great. He's outside. HFF or wing, probs even HBF but that's a whole different thing.. All JB needs to do is work hard up and back, provide overlap/an option on the outside, and kick straight when he gets a chance. Obviously tackling hard and being aggressive when he doesn't have the ball is a non negotiable, but I believe he does that as best he can, he's no lenny and never will be.

Most importantly he just needs confidence, and we need to get him as many handball receives as possible to build that confidence, and that will go a long way to improving our entry.

Looking forward to next week.

*maybe he can become a centre but atm I can't see it. Not strong enough or explosive enough, too slow to get boot to ball, goes to ground too easily

Wasn't needed against Frankston. With Billing, Freeman and Armo opening the field up with precision disposals.

Football even at VFL level is about the press. Getting around it is part of football. Nothing to do with no trying to play football to beat it.

I posted it in the Zebras thread specifically so you could enlighten me as to how the Zebras were playing as compared with our one-trick-pony football we play in the "ones".
Which you've done to a degree, thanks. I'll be sure to keep my threads rant-specific and my rants thread-specific in future.

Contested possession and clearances skills. Both vital for a true mid and the other thing I keep saying he must be equal to the mid he replacing and that mid must be equal as hff as him. Unfortunately we have mids who cannot play elsewhere apart from Steven but he must play mid because he is the only one with pace. That is another reason I say our recruiting has been very ordinary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.. none of Ross, Steele, Dunstan can play anywhere except the centre square

I don't really get that, why does it look silly? He was playing badly, he got dropped and had a big game. If he comes back into the AFL and finds some form then how are you going to argue that dropping him had no impact on that?
Well I guess if he miraculously comes back with elite output then you could possibly argue that the coaches made the right call.

Bilings was quiet last week, but I thought was actually finding some form in round 9 & 10 prior to that, so we have no idea what his form would be like if he'd stayed in the 1's.

An out of form Billings is still worth 10 X Mav Wellers, him staying in the side is getting really embarrassing for everyone involved.

They were pretty quick to drop Acres even after being in our best dozen players… I don't think the demotion did anything to help him, in fact probably the opposite. How on earth we can have so many promising young players seemingly out of form and down on confidence is an absolute blight on the coaching and development unit - I wish we could drop them instead.

Kern I respect your posts and I want Paddy to come good - but Paddy form is not to good and if you compare the 2 even with Bruce not playing well before his injury and lack of preseason - you can not compare

Paddy has been given more than a chance and has let us down .
I do think Bruce needs another game in the two's - however even with the lack of game time Bruce most probably has a bigger tank than Paddy , Paddy should go back to Sandy and kick a couple goals.
Give Battle the reins

Paddy needs another preseason hand home he comes good,
Josh Bruce Name Patrick McCartin

Last Drafted By St Kilda Saints
2018 Stats for Season 2018
3 Games 10
4.3 K
11.7 Disposals Per Game 9.8
4.0 Marks Per Game 5.0
Goals Per Game 0.8
0 Behinds Per Game 1.2
Tackles Per Game 0.9
2.3 Hitouts Per Game 0
2.3 Inside 50s Per Game 1.8
0.3 Goal Assists Per Game 0.2
1.7 Frees For Per Game 0.7
0.7 Frees Against Per Game 0.9
Contested Possessions Per Game 4.0
5.3 Uncontested Possessions Per Game 5.7
Effective Disposals Per Game 6.2
85.5% Disposal Efficiency % Per Game 63.3%
1.3 Clangers Per Game 1.8
1.0 Contested Marks Per Game 1.3
1.0 Marks Inside 50 Per Game 1.6
Clearances Per Game 0
0.7 Rebound 50s Per Game 0.2
0.7 One Percenters Per Game 1.5
Bounces Per Game 0
88.3 Time On Ground % Per Game 76.0
0.7 Centre Clearances Per Game 0
1.0 Stoppage Clearances Per Game 0
3.0 Score Involvements Per Game 4.0
143.7 Metres Gained Per Game 212.6
1.7 Turnovers Per Game 2.8
Intercepts Per Game 0.5
0.3 Tackles Inside 50 Per Game 0.4
$4
No worries, but what I get form those stats is that despite Paddy clearly having a poorer fitness base and being widely regarded as disappointing, with 10% less game time he is still ahead of a guy who is in the peak of his career and is paid big money to be our #1 KPF in the following areas

More marks
Nearly the same disposals
One percenters
70 metres gained more per match
tackles inside 50

Paddy's goal kicking the big thing holding him back at the moment, if he can fix that I reckon his confidence and form will spike.

Bruce is a super athlete, but not a very smart or skillful footballer IMO, he makes a decent third forward but I reckon we've seen his best. Takes a good occasional hanger, runs around a lot for very little gain - 4 marks PER MATCH. Can't ruck to save himself, was terrible down back mainly because of his appalling footskills and composure. Are we still going to be talking his 2015 year 5 or 6 years later? It's a bit like Mav's 2016 which wasn't actually that amazing.

Paddy may not become an elite forward, but I think he's still improving and would like to persist towards 50-60 games - the payout on that gamble is much bigger than what we are getting from a Bruce type.

Last edited:
Wow. How everyone forgets so quickly in just 4.5 years. Every single draft profile on Billings said that he was a supreme class half forward with the ability to roll through the midfield from time to time. The main knock on him was his tank & aerobic capacity holding him back from ever being a full time mid.

Now having said all that & Jack having missed large chunks of or the entire preseason training in his first 3 seasons, why do you suppose Jack isn’t played as a full time mid?

Answer is because he isn’t one ;) And he doesn’t have the miles in the legs yet through 3 out of 5 injury riddled preseasons to develop into one yet

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is a young star who yesterday proved how good he is...no one has got anywhere near those numbers in the VFL this year against Frankston or anyone else....he can only play who he is against and he played well and will be back next week and dominate yet again this time against the Suns.

Great work JB.
It’s a very serious matter indeed Cooper.

Great work JB.
Stop be so juvenile.

Billings has been ordinary this year and deserved to be dropped.

It is the mark of a players character how they respond.

It wasn't the 53 possessions it was his consistency across 4 qtrs and what he did with them.

Qtr 1 he gets smashed in from a hospital handball, two seconds later he is clearing the ball with Freeman for another Zebras attack. Could have stood on his laurels but wanted the ball.

Billings responded the way a no.3 draft prospect would. Character and wanting to win.

He deserved criticism but from what I saw yesterday, I am more encouraged than ever over Jack's future.

Rewind to last year. If Jack kicks 36.23 & not 23.36, he probably makes the AA team

Kids just out of form & void of confidence

Point taken, will sneak out the back door now and hope it doesnt hit me on the arse.:p

Maybe I’m just frustrated with the whole Saints outfit & dont get me wrong, I really do rate Billings, just would have liked to see him get a run on the wing in the firsts.
I agree to a certain extent with plugger66 about there not being much between a hff & a wing nowadays, except when there is a centre bounce.
At a centre bounce the hff is usually being bustled or having his opponent within a metre or so, on the wing a lot of them play off each other, so they can have anywhere up to 5 or 10 metres break on their opponent.
To us the observor doesnt seem much, but to a player it may mentally be easier.

Then we see some opposition jumpers and crap our pants with an indiscriminate kick to a nest of them. How about Stuv's kick inside 50 to Paddy and 4 Swans on the weekend. Found himself with all the time in the world and that was the best thing he could think of to do. Bloody hell.
Ugh, so this. Just yuck, and so epitomizes everything wrong with Retcho's plan.

V disappointed in your poor commentary of the game yesterday.
Absolutely no mention of the stud muffin standing to the right of the scoreboard....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back