VFL Round 10, 2018: Sandringham v Frankston - TBB Oval, Sunday 10th June, 2:00PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

High half forward is his position with rotation through the wing. I do believe he should attend centre bounces from time to time, but not full time mid for mine
+1.

In 100 minutes of football that is a touch inside every 2 minutes. I'd struggle to do that at training and that's with no opposition.

Can do no more than perform and he has done that.

Bruce Carlisle and BILLINGS in Philips rested Mav go do a Billings in VFL and back you come Brownie take a break and get your concussion sorted.

Play McKenzie in Mavs role. Play Bruce in Membrey's role allowing Members up the ground. Billings on a wing waxing with Sincs

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why rest Phillips with the bye the following week

JB has been too good for VFL since his first year. I think at any decent club he would’ve been an A grade mid by now.

He isn’t a mid. Doesn’t have the skills of a mid. He is hff. No one complained last year. The simple reason he was struggling was form. It wasn’t because he was out of position. The coaches may things wrong and maybe one was not getting billings confidence back but it wasn’t because he was out of position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Billings into his 5th AFL season.
75 games at Ave 19.8 Disposals.
Matt Lappin after 5 completed seasons,
59 games at Ave 14.2 Disposals and Career Disposal Ave was 16.09.
Stats from Wikipedia.

Still think more freedom on the wing, with less pressure to have to kick goals from a HFF could be the answer, like the way he went in 2016/17
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/st...g/news-story/78360c09df3599ed3dcfefdae524c38e

Know what article says but billings played mainly hff in those years. I remember when he played wing he struggled and a few on here had a go at richo for playing him out of position on the wing. Anyway these days there isn’t much difference to either position.

He isn’t a mid. Doesn’t have the skills of a mid. He is hff. No one complained last year. The simple reason he was struggling was form. It wasn’t because he was out of position. The coaches may things wrong and maybe one was not getting billings confidence back but it wasn’t because he was out of position

Heard the same thing about Ablett, Martin, Stevie J, Gray, Walters, Higgins, honestly the list goes on. He can find the ball and use it well if you’re trying to tell me he couldn’t at least be doing what Walters is doing now you’re kidding yourself.

Heard the same thing about Ablett, Martin, Stevie J, Gray, Walters, Higgins, honestly the list goes on. He can find the ball and use it well if you’re trying to tell me he couldn’t at least be doing what Walters is doing now you’re kidding yourself.

Yes, but it's interesting that almost all the guys you mention took a fair while.

- Higgins was in his 10th season before he became a real consistent star, when he went to North
- Gray was in his 8th season before he became a real star and got more than 6 Brownlow votes
- Ablett was in his 6th season before he suddenly became more than a pretty good small forward
- Stevie J was in his 6th season before he got a regular game, and became immediately AA
- Walters was in his 5th season before he got his first Brownlow vote and made the AA Squad

Martin obviously the exception but despite being quality from day one, he took a giant leap to superstar last year, in his 8th season.

Billings is currently in his 5th season. Last year he got 11 Brownlow votes, this year not so good. It would be completely consistent with the guys above if next year in his 6th season he took a big step up and made the AA Squad - he'd still be well ahead of the Gray and Higgins schedule!

Ok let’s just say he can play mid which I disagree with because he doesn’t get enough contested ball and has only had 3 clearances in 11 games this year but who does he replace and more importantly where do they play. For it to work he must be at least as good as the player he replaces and they must be as good as him as a hff. Can’t think of one player that applies to but be interested in what you think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, but it's interesting that almost all the guys you mention took a fair while.

- Higgins was in his 10th season before he became a real consistent star, when he went to North
- Gray was in his 8th season before he became a real star and got more than 6 Brownlow votes
- Ablett was in his 6th season before he suddenly became more than a pretty good small forward
- Stevie J was in his 6th season before he got a regular game, and became immediately AA
- Walters was in his 5th season before he got his first Brownlow vote and made the AA Squad

Martin obviously the exception but despite being quality from day one, he took a giant leap to superstar last year, in his 8th season.

Billings is currently in his 5th season. Last year he got 11 Brownlow votes, this year not so good. It would be completely consistent with the guys above if next year in his 6th season he took a big step up and made the AA Squad - he'd still be well ahead of the Gray and Higgins schedule!
It can definitely take long for some but the reason I always use Walters as an example is everyone talks about how well he’s going as a super classy mid but his averages aren’t all that special. Around 20 touches a game with a bit over 8 contested which isn’t that far off what Billings does. Even in his ordinary seasons JB averages 20 with 7 contested. You can’t convince me both of those numbers wouldn’t go up if he was actually playing as a midfielder.

It’s not just numbers though, Walters has impact on games because when he gets it he hits a target every time and pulls off kicks that his teammates can’t which clearly applies to Billings as well. Then later on he could hit those higher levels.

Ok let’s just say he can play mid which I disagree with because he doesn’t get enough contested ball and has only had 3 clearances in 11 games this year but who does he replace and more importantly where do they play. For it to work he must be at least as good as the player he replaces and they must be as good as him as a hff. Can’t think of one player that applies to but be interested in what you think.

I honestly think you are mostly right and that he's a HFF. For me rather than playing him as a pure mid I'd just like to see him rotate. Say spend 60% up forward. 20% Centre square and 20% wing* or something similar to that. He was definitely out of form this year and I feel getting him away from hard lock downs will help prevent that from becoming a regular thing.

Rotating up the field also helped Rooey with his goal kicking so who knows maybe it'll help JB too.

*obviously he won't play 100% of game time, just throwing out percentages so my opinion is understood

Best Players: J. Billings, D. Joyce, B. Seccull, D. Armitage, B. Longer, T. Lamb

Bruce and Connellan not named in the best. White got injured. I'd like a double Irish debut next week, just to be sure.
To be sure, to be sure...

I honestly think you are mostly right and that he's a HFF. For me rather than playing him as a pure mid I'd just like to see him rotate. Say spend 60% up forward. 20% Centre square and 20% wing* or something similar to that. He was definitely out of form this year and I feel getting him away from hard lock downs will help prevent that from becoming a regular thing.

Rotating up the field also helped Rooey with his goal kicking so who knows maybe it'll help JB too.

*obviously he won't play 100% of game time, just throwing out percentages so my opinion is understood

Playing half forward 100% is graveyard easily shut out of game.

Looking at his mindset yesterday was completely freed up , really good for him .
Opposition not great but he needed this several weeks ago .
We continually refer to what Clarko does , would have been short price that he would have played some minutes
at centre bounce , wing , half forward , forward pocket because at the Hawks 15 players would attend a centre
bounce..rotate , share load if they are struggling ala Burton they go back to 2’s.

What skills is he lacking though Plugs?

What skills is he lacking though Plugs?

Contested possession and clearances skills. Both vital for a true mid and the other thing I keep saying he must be equal to the mid he replacing and that mid must be equal as hff as him. Unfortunately we have mids who cannot play elsewhere apart from Steven but he must play mid because he is the only one with pace. That is another reason I say our recruiting has been very ordinary.

53 touches and 3 goals. I'm assuming the Zebras have found a way to move the ball that doesn't involve a switch via full back every time.
Hey we're too crap to find our way through the opposition team, let's just try to go around them and avoid playing football. It's great, we get past them without a contest all the way to the half forward line. Then we see some opposition jumpers and crap our pants with an indiscriminate kick to a nest of them. How about Stuv's kick inside 50 to Paddy and 4 Swans on the weekend. Found himself with all the time in the world and that was the best thing he could think of to do. Bloody hell.

This idea of drafting/recruiting key positions first then worrying about the mids. All good as long as you're still in your job, you still have your sponsors and the supporters are still attending games by the time the mids come along. Oh and so long as the keys you recruited are actually good enough to be playing in the ones. Sorry, got the Monday blues. And we're still not even in line for pick 1, can't believe it.
I'll be back to my moderate attempts at mild humour and semi-light-hearted observations in a few days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back