Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Is Luke Beveridge’s time up at the Bulldogs?

• Yes

Votes: 269 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 51 15.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bevo is an utter disgrace, not sure how anyone can defend the man. Has gone mad trying to be different.

Has subbed or had sub critical, performing players all year. Loss to the Dons is the cherry on top, how can anyone justify his decisions now when they've lost to that rabble.

I recall the Bulldogs having their pants pulled down a couple of times by the ultimate rabble club - Carlton
It happened not long after he got dumped in a tackle. Concussion. Which raises other questions. Libya didn’t go off and wasn’t assessed.

His head never touched the ground though. Unless his shoulder was concussed.

Terrible coach, if not for the 2016 flag he would have been sacked about 5 years ago. The 2016 premiership has given him so much armour to hide behind . Realistically how much of 2016 was Bevo? They finish 7th in the home and away, they played some great finals , got very lucky with umpiring in the grand final . Any side can go on a run of 3-4 good wins especially with a talented playing list hungry for a flag , doesn't make Bevo a genius .
Any side?? Except just about every year when a top four team wins the flag. Credit where credits due.

He reminds me a bit of the Neil Craig "Crowbot" era at Adelaide.

Not a bad coach per se....but just very one dimensional and "We Must Do The Same Thing No Matter What" in his approach, with apparently limited scope to react and shake things up when they're not working.

Team selection is consistently erratic

Terrible coach, if not for the 2016 flag he would have been sacked about 5 years ago. The 2016 premiership has given him so much armour to hide behind . Realistically how much of 2016 was Bevo? They finish 7th in the home and away, they played some great finals , got very lucky with umpiring in the grand final .

Yeah that incorrect disallowed goal against us really screwed the Swans over in that 4th quarter lol

I think he needs to be moved on. He has been given more leeway for what he did in 2016 and rightfully so, but I think that this extension has run out.

I look at the dogs list and I think they have one of the best lists in the comp looking at it on face value but they have continually underperformed for years, strange selections etc.

With what they have, they should be thinking about premierships
Agreed. The recruiting and list management teams have done an amazing job for a long time now, but it's all largely being wasted. It frustrates me what's happening there, so I can only imagine what most Bulldog fans must be feeling. Just not good enough!

Terrible coach, if not for the 2016 flag he would have been sacked about 5 years ago. The 2016 premiership has given him so much armour to hide behind . Realistically how much of 2016 was Bevo? They finish 7th in the home and away, they played some great finals , got very lucky with umpiring in the grand final . Any side can go on a run of 3-4 good wins especially with a talented playing list hungry for a flag , doesn't make Bevo a genius .

I agree he should go but you have no idea.

He took a group that was in the dump after 2014 and got them straight into finals.

After the flag the list went a semi rebuild to replace players like Murphy, Picken, Morris, both Boyds and so on to make a grand final in 2021. He has a 56% winrate and made finals 6/10 years.

He is a good coach that after ten years has run out of ideas to get the best out of players and some recruiting hasn’t worked either.

And Collingwood supporter making comments on umpiring after 2023 is ironic.

He took a group that was in the dump after 2014 and got them straight into finals.

After the flag the list went a semi rebuild to replace players like Murphy, Picken, Morris, both Boyds and so on to make a grand final in 2021. He has a 56% winrate and made finals 6/10 years.

He is a good coach that after ten years has run out of ideas to get the best out of players and some recruiting hasn’t worked either.

Do you reckon the players are strongly supporting him?

2023 GF - Frees: 16 Collingwood / 22 Brisbane
2016 GF - Frees: 20 WB / 8 Sydney
So ironic.

With that type of analysis, its no wonder you came up with the post before about Bevo that made no sense and went straight for umpiring part of the post in reply. 😂

Do you reckon the players are strongly supporting him?

Will find out very soon but id say they were the past two years.

Last edited:
I think the idea the Dogs have a great list full of talent is a myth.

Really they have Bont then got some gifts with Libba, Darcy and JUH. But if you really look at the list it's quite s**t.

Not sure Bevo is "wasting" some amazing list. Seems like a bit of an urban myth IMO.

Yes and no. The bottom 5 isn’t great. Recent selections have been bad. It still falls on Bevo. They should still be making finals in the correct system. He has only just tried to shift to a team thats quicker by foot and ball movement and can apply pressure but a lot of his favourites are likely not up to it (Vanders, Bramble and Baker and so on) and thats at the expense of a few senior players that are slow. (Macrae, Dale and Daniel)

There is no doubt the club expects finals this and last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the idea the Dogs have a great list full of talent is a myth.

Really they have Bont then got some gifts with Libba, Darcy and JUH. But if you really look at the list it's quite s**t.

Not sure Bevo is "wasting" some amazing list. Seems like a bit of an urban myth IMO.

Clear gaps between top and bottom 6 IMO, a few disagree with me but I don’t see a flag with the current list composition

Clear gaps between top and bottom 6 IMO, a few disagree with me but I don’t see a flag with the current list composition
Forward line no real issues. Midfield dependent on Bontempelli and Liberatore. JUH, Naughton, Darcy, English, Weightman. Very serviceable. Absolutely no defence and a coach who isn’t budging.

Basically you get rid of JUH if he wants out and try and trade for an established KPD whilst getting games into midfielders. This year you just take a hit by playing some youth where you can. If English goes that will sting. Darcy not ready to play ruck yet. Needs a lot of time but supposed to be very promising.

Feel like a coaching change could help things significantly.

Bevo is an utter disgrace, not sure how anyone can defend the man. Has gone mad trying to be different.

Has subbed or had sub critical, performing players all year. Loss to the Dons is the cherry on top, how can anyone justify his decisions now when they've lost to that rabble.
Essendon have improved. They’re getting out of that rabble territory but still got a fair way to go.

This is a fair post. Decent numbers for LB but now the ideas are exhausted.

Yes and no. The bottom 5 isn’t great. Recent selections have been bad. It still falls on Bevo. They should still be making finals in the correct system. He has only just tried to shift to a team thats quicker by foot and ball movement and can apply pressure but a lot of his favourites are likely not up to it (Vanders, Bramble and Baker and so on) and thats at the expense of a few senior players that are slow. (Macrae, Dale and Daniel)

There is no doubt the club expects finals this and last season.
No idea what he sees in Baker

Caleb Daniel, one of the best ball users in the league can’t get a game. Crazy.

It must be so frustrating as a Dogs fan to hear Beveridge essentially say he doesn’t think the list is good enough and therefore he’s going to muck around with selection. No one else sees Caleb Daniel, Bailey Dale, or Jack Macrae as obstacles to the team’s success. The club is held ransom to the whims of a frankly weird guy. Wasn’t the turnover of assistant coaches meant to fix the issue of Bevo’s domineering style?

The forward line is excellent. The midfield is great but ageing. The backline needs some more actual defenders. Coaching has to be the problem!

It must be so frustrating as a Dogs fan to hear Beveridge essentially say he doesn’t think the list is good enough and therefore he’s going to muck around with selection. No one else sees Caleb Daniel, Bailey Dale, or Jack Macrae as obstacles to the team’s success. The club is held ransom to the whims of a frankly weird guy. Wasn’t the turnover of assistant coaches meant to fix the issue of Bevo’s domineering style?

The forward line is excellent. The midfield is great but ageing. The backline needs some more actual defenders. Coaching has to be the problem!

We have no “system”.
You watch Geelong. They have a clear system. We rely purely on our midfield.
We need a new coach.

St Kilda
Fremantle (away)
Hawthorn
Richmond
Giants

Will win 2 of those.

It’ll be 4 from 10 and season done.

I don’t disagree. And the giants game is the start of a brutal fixture run that could see us lose several games in a row, maybe by decent margins.

Silver lining will hopefully be that the club does what needs to be done, but I’m not sure it’s a certainty.

Caleb Daniel, one of the best ball users in the league can’t get a game. Crazy.
If you watched his VFL game on Friday you'd want him dropped from the VFL team... He is woefully out of form at the moment.

Back