Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Is Luke Beveridge’s time up at the Bulldogs?

• Yes

Votes: 269 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 51 15.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The dogs have been plodding since halfway thru the 3rd quarter of the 2021 Grand Final. Their list is mediocre. Bevo has given this group enough chances, they aren't going to win a flag. They have too many similar hbf types, Richards, JJ, Williams, Dale, Daniel etc. They have nothing that resembles a strong backline but are probably doing a great job with what they have. They have one decent key defender in Jones whos got a year or 2 left.

Their forward line is the most exciting in the league going forward with Jamarra, Darcy, Naughton, Weightman and its probably where Bont will finish his career. But that wont peak for a few more years.

Their midfield just doesn't have the depth it used to have without Dunkley and Smith. English is soft as butter.

And if i hear one more person say Caleb Daniel is an All Australian im going to invoke Terry Wallace and spew up. He has been an AA once in 2020 and it was the first covid year with 17 games and short quarters. He has never even made an AA squad any other year. Yes his foot skills are elite. But his whole body of work is not elite. Oppositions have worked him out down back which is why he has been moved around to try and find a spot.

Last edited:
It depends on how the Dogs board & people at the top running the club see it.

If they think they should be contending & their list is better than it's performing then he should be sacked.

I agree with people that now say their list isn't as good as it's hyped up to be there is a big sample size.
They have never finished top 4 while Bevo has been coach.

Some people say Beveridge should be sacked & than say at same the list is overrated? which is it can't really have it both ways.
The fact he coached them to a premiership & a GF states he can probably coach.

It depends on how the Dogs board & people at the top running the club see it.

If they think they should be contending & their list is better than it's performing then he should be sacked.

I agree with people that now say their list isn't as good as it's hyped up to be there is a big sample size.
They have never finished top 4 while Bevo has been coach.

Some people say Beveridge should be sacked & than say at same the list is overrated? which is it can't really have it both ways.
The fact he coached them to a premiership & a GF states he can probably coach.

Never finishing top 4 in the H&A probably suggests he experiments too much during the season.

The whole time he's been coach I can't remember a settled best 22 or structure. He'll * around with 2 KPFS, 3 KPFS, 4 KPFS, 1 KPD, 2 KPD all year long. How do the players know wtf is going on.

Its been accepted wisdom in parts of the media for the last few years that they have a "talented list".

Also apparently the Board believe that.

So yes could be described as a myth or false belief.

Is the list really that great?

They finished 9th last season and around the same again now.

The list has 5 A.A players in it, a pick #1 KPF, pick #2 KPF/ruck, a player you threw 1mill a year at KPF and arguably the best player in the game running around in it.

We are struggling against some very very average sides.

The list isn't the problem IMO.

i think that there's too many campaigners on the list currently getting games to really contest. lets face it- when bontempelli plays poorly, the whole team plays poorly, but what was most apparent is that their defence is extremely lacking. if liam jones wasn't a rock down there i could see them losing to essendon by 60+ points.

i don't think that beveridge knows what to do now his gameplan doesn't work.

i think that there's too many campaigners on the list currently getting games to really contest. lets face it- when bontempelli plays poorly, the whole team plays poorly, but what was most apparent is that their defence is extremely lacking. if liam jones wasn't a rock down there i could see them losing to essendon by 60+ points.

i don't think that beveridge knows what to do now his gameplan doesn't work.

It’s actually simpler than that. When Bont plays poorly and can’t win them the game off his own boot, they can’t win.

It’s just he so rarely plays poorly. 95% of his games are like top 3 players in the comp in any given round.

Bevo is stale at the Bulldogs. He's far from a terrible coach, but both he and the club/players need a change of scenery. It's well overdue.
I reckon with the early success he was able to get too big for his boots and run the club the way he wanted, which is clearly erratically at best. He really looks like he needed some strong assistants and Football Managers to reign the worst of Bevo in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was coach of Carlton he'd already be long gone, to state the obvious. I'm not sure even a flag in '16 is enough credits in the bank when it's closing in on a decade ago and the team has never finished top 4.

It’s actually simpler than that. When Bont plays poorly and can’t win them the game off his own boot, they can’t win.

It’s just he so rarely plays poorly. 95% of his games are like top 3 players in the comp in any given round.
yeah that's basically bang on the money. while i think sam durham did a great job tagging him out of the game, even when he was playing well it felt like a shadow of what he usually does. with that in mind historically he doesn't play too well (relative to his usual standard) against essendon, but it seemed like a different player out there than usual

The list has 5 A.A players in it, a pick #1 KPF, pick #2 KPF/ruck, a player you threw 1mill a year at KPF and arguably the best player in the game running around in it.

We are struggling against some very very average sides.

The list isn't the problem IMO.
The AA's aren't a great metric. Daniel and Macrae count toward that list but Libba doesn't. West Coast have 6 AA's on their list, for example.

The AA's aren't a great metric. Daniel and Macrae count toward that list but Libba doesn't. West Coast have 6 AA's on their list, for example.
Correct. English is an AA player as recent as 6 months ago and Libba not. That’s all you need to know about AA’s.

Do you think Daniel and Macrae are truly still capable of AA or near-AA level footy?

They are more capable of that form than who he is replacing them with. Oskar Baker, Bramble, Vandemeer, McNeil, Poulter, Gallagher, Sanders etc.

You could make an argument for Sanders and Gallagher due to their youth. The others not so much.

Looks to be Dimma mark 2 - lost some of the senior players who have no motivation and are sick of the same old message and unhappy with non-selection

Dogs have some big calls on make on English (especially if WCE offer him a million), Daniel, Macrae, Lobb, Smith and have no first round pick this year (mind you if they don't match what WCE offer English they'll probably get one)

Bevo could take a payout - a year off then be the first Tassie coach (if it isn't Tassie football HOF Fages)

No idea what he sees in Baker

The problem with the change to go quick and cover ground better is still useless if you cant hit a target. To be fair he does the physical stuff okay. Hes like 26 though, rather Poulter at least try to make something of himself at 20.

Back