Coach Is Clarkson a supercoach or did he just get lucky at the Hawks? Has his time come and gone?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Maybe Jeff Kenneth was right.
Clarkson's last few years at the Hawks he showed a fair bit of of incompetence.

Yes ha had a three-peat but he had onfield coaches Hodge and Lewis and Fagan there to keep him in check.

Has his time been and gone? Is he really a "genius"? Or just lucky?

He seems completely clueless and out of his depth at North. Certainly not worth anything close to a million a year

His violent antics are also out of touch with modern times..

LOL

Tell us more, Obi-wan

Wish Chris Scott - who is also an angry man - would luck his way to three consecutive flags.

In any kind of success it's human nature to overestimate skill and downplay luck when looking back.

He's clearly a very good coach, but there's obviously an element of luck around the staff, players, resources, injuries that factor into it as well.

He should be able to get north competitive again the same way Roos did with Melbourne but I wouldn't be expecting miracles. They're probably at least 3 years away from competing for a top 8 place.

Maybe Jeff Kenneth was right.
Clarkson's last few years at the Hawks he showed a fair bit of of incompetence.

Yes ha had a three-peat but he had onfield coaches Hodge and Lewis and Fagan there to keep him in check.

Has his time been and gone? Is he really a "genius"? Or just lucky?

He seems completely clueless and out of his depth at North. Certainly not worth anything close to a million a year

His violent antics are also out of touch with modern times..
Well, it's probably both. Genius is a flash of light one if lucky may possess for a time, before it just disappears.

Bob Dylan looks back on his 60s output in some astonishment that it happened, and accepts these days he's probably reverted back to only excellence (my description, Dylan is more selfeffacing than that).

Tommy Hafey picked up 4 flags at RFC in abt 8 years, then nothing, despite many efforts and opps.

Ditto Clarko, the flash has gone. Now he's just an everyday w***er like many of us, no more genius to distract us from his appalling person.

Genius has a ceiling, and is temporary. With one astounding exception ... Mark E Smith!

Put it this way, two of the top/senior players at his disposal are Jy Simpkin and Luke McDonald.

Would these players get a game at your club? There's only so much you can polish a turd lol

Put it this way, two of the top/senior players at his disposal are Jy Simpkin and Luke McDonald.

Would these players get a game at your club? There's only so much you can polish a turd lol
Fair enough.. List management has been disgraceful for a decade now.

But he's been there 18 months now and done absolutely * all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wish Chris Scott - who is also an angry man - would luck his way to three consecutive flags.
He's won two flags and kept you relevant for a decade 69% wins over a long period is almost unheard of. He's been a master.

Clarko hasn't been relevant since 2016.

Last edited:
Well, it's probably both. Genius is a flash of light one if lucky may possess for a time, before it just disappears.

Bob Dylan looks back on his 60s output in some astonishment that it happened, and accepts these days he's probably reverted back to only excellence (my description, Dylan is more selfeffacing than that).

Tommy Hafey picked up 4 flags at RFC in abt 8 years, then nothing, despite many efforts and opps.

Ditto Clarko, the flash has gone. Now he's just an everyday w***er like many of us, no more genius to distract us from his appalling person.

Genius has a ceiling, and is temporary. With one astounding exception ... Mark E Smith!

Even mark e smith is now dead

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but going back to r3 2020 north have won 10 out of 87 matches.

People overrate what coaches can do, if Clarko wasn’t turning post 2015 hawks into anything good, he sure as hell won’t be with current day north.

They are either too young or too s**t currently, and only decent KPP is Larkey.

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong but going back to r3 2020 north have won 10 out of 87 matches.

People overrate what coaches can do, if Clarko wasn’t turning post 2015 hawks into anything good, he sure as hell won’t be with current day north.

They are either too young or too s**t currently, and only decent KPP is Larkey.

Yep, the only way this will change is if the players decide they are sick of losing and do something about it.

Fair enough.. List management has been disgraceful for a decade now.

But he's been there 18 months now and done absolutely * all.
He's coached 15-16 games.
Correct list management and lack of kpp makes his job extremely difficult. I dunno. Im just numb with losing these days.

Yep, the only way this will change is if the players decide they are sick of losing and do something about it.

I thought getting Clarko wasn’t going to reap any rewards really, post 2016 hawks looked like the fire was gone and he didn’t have the energy to do another proper rebuild.

He’s now at north where the list is in a more raw shape than it ever was at Hawthorn, and he refused to do a proper rebuild there.

I mean he may just not have the energy anymore and the racism saga could have taken it out of him too. I predicted before the season that Clarko would be gone (most likely him calling it a day) before north are playing finals again.

They don’t have the cattle, lack leaders, big bodies and horribly unbalanced to good or emerging mids and FA key position players.

Also with extra sides and not the auto priority picks sides had in the past, rebuilds take a bloody long time. Realistically north isn’t playing finals before 2028 at absolute soonest.

They need to find a way to get KPPs in the door who are a bit more established and ready to go otherwise the list will never marry up, as KPPs typically take longer to develop.

I don’t think they will be this bad all season, and they have played 4 sides most people would of had in their top 6 before the season and another in Freo who could easily be a finals side too, so it’s been a pretty horrific draw.

Definitely lucky. Got gifted home grand finals against non Vic teams when they finished the season lower on the ladder. Would not have won 2013 or 2015 without the undeserved advantage

Don’t really agree with that, hawks beat Freo at subi in 2015 prelim.

If all things were equal which ones should have been hosted by interstate sides? 2015 I know but any of the other 2?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back