Coach Alastair Clarkson - where is the pressure?

Remove this Banner Ad

We saw 'Northball' in the preseason. Fast flowing, attacking football.

Here I thought Clarkson has evolved. He's rejuvenated himself. He's embracing modern footy.

How wrong I was.

We saw yesterday the same old Clarko from his latter blunder years. Slow, boring, long down the line footy. High kicks to no one in particular inside 50 over the head of Larkey. Damage control football.

Helped preserve the margin in what should have been a 15 goal belting but it's soul sucking football. The players out there looked like they have zero confidence in themselves or the gameplan.

I wouldn't be surprised if he loses the players soon. They actually looked like they enjoyed their footy more under Ratts.

If Clarko keeps playing this way North Melbourne are going to lose a generation of young supporters and for a small club like North that could be a death knell.
So Clarkson is playing Ross Lyon football?

Yes without the defensive solidity.

Aka the worst of both worlds.

It was a chore watching footy in 2020.
I enjoyed watching footy in 2020 that was the thing!

Everyone was playing low scoring footy, Even the great Clarkson was playing ross Lyon footy. LoL

And Ross Lyon wasn't even coaching an AFL club in 2020

I reckon he'll chuck the towel in at some point, but no idea when - it won't be this season, anyway.
I think it'll be after his 3rd premiership with North

I think it'll be after his 3rd premiership with North
You have to be realistic mate.

I think Alistair Clarkson underestimated Norths list. He needs one more year to fully set up north Melbourne.

You can and have to settle with back to back flags mate, with one of those flags an undefeated season! LoL

I'm not a fan of Clarkson, but he has to be given time to turnover players and make the list his own. Otherwise there was no point getting him if you sack him before he gets the chance to do that.

It’s not necessarily just about the results, for me it’s the lack of competitiveness and clear direction to how they’re playing their footy.

He’s not going to get sacked because they gave him 5 years for a reason so this is a moot point, however, if a rookie coach was doing what he’s doing right now would people be as accepting of it? Then ask, should Clarkson be treated any differently because he won flags nearly a decade ago?

if a rookie coach was doing what he’s doing right now would people be as accepting of it? Then ask, should Clarkson be treated any differently because he won flags nearly a decade ago?

First question, no I don't think people or the club would be so accepting of it if it were a rookie coach and the second question , yeah I do think he should be treated differently because he has won multiple premierships.

I think that's the whole point of getting a premiership coach. You know they have what it takes to go all the way, so that takes pressure of the here and now and gives some stability to the club. I kind of see it like the Paul roos role at Melbourne. And he was only willing to do it for 2 or 3 years wasn't it? Before handing it over to Goodwin. That got them a premiership.

I just think you have to give Clarkson time to turnover the list and get what he wants. If after the 5 years has gone and he's not atleast threatening to play finals then yeah, it won't seem like a great decision to sign him for so long. But I think that's something that can only be judged in hindsight.

He took the job to keep the dollars rolling in. The passion, drive and ability to coach a winning side is long gone.

LDU also needs a kick up the arse. Should be leading his team but instead is collecting a paycheck each week doing the bare minimum. You have first year players with more heart than him.

I've been to a few games with a North-supporting mate.

From what I see, the effort is mostly there. They'll often crack in hard enough at the contest and set up their plays well enough. But some of their skills and decision making is ammos-level stuff. How many times can you miss a 5m handball under minimal pressure?

Clarko just doesn't have the cattle to work with....yet. It's promising that almost all of North's best players are their younger ones - it's virtually all the senior blokes letting them down. He just has to keep clearing the dead wood and backing the youth in.....I don't see what else he can do or anything different that people expect him to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I am missing someone, but from what I can see they don't have one good player over 26.

That is nothing to do with Clarkson, that is on the list management and drafting decisions that were made in the 10 years before he got to the club.

It wouldn't matter who their coach was right now, they'd be really struggling.

First question, no I don't think people or the club would be so accepting of it if it were a rookie coach and the second question , yeah I do think he should be treated differently because he has won multiple premierships.

I think that's the whole point of getting a premiership coach. You know they have what it takes to go all the way, so that takes pressure of the here and now and gives some stability to the club. I kind of see it like the Paul roos role at Melbourne. And he was only willing to do it for 2 or 3 years wasn't it? Before handing it over to Goodwin. That got them a premiership.

I just think you have to give Clarkson time to turnover the list and get what he wants. If after the 5 years has gone and he's not atleast threatening to play finals then yeah, it won't seem like a great decision to sign him for so long. But I think that's something that can only be judged in hindsight.

Correction, you know he DID have what it takes to go all the way. There have been plenty of premiership coaches who coached past their expiry date and clubs ended up massively overpaying for them.

Roos was different. The plan was always for him to come in, clean the joint out, get them going on the right path and then get the wheels in motion for the next coach to take over. If this was the case with Clarkson I might be more supportive. However they’ve given him 5 years at big money. Their chips are all in on him at least getting them to finals if not all the way.

If the argument he needs time to clean the list out and get what he wants then:
A) this list has already been stripped back so a lot of the work has been done for him (you could argue North cleaned out too much experience).
B) let’s look at the players he brought in, Stephens and Fisher, if it’s about letting Clarko get what he wants, how are those two players benefitting the development of his young core?

Maybe I am missing someone, but from what I can see they don't have one good player over 26.

That is nothing to do with Clarkson, that is on the list management and drafting decisions that were made in the 10 years before he got to the club.

It wouldn't matter who their coach was right now, they'd be really struggling.
Remember 4 or 5 years ago when North delisted a bunch of mid - senior level players and neutrals were like wtf they are going to bottom out massively and I guess it's playing out.

Also sidenote, Clarko saw the benefit in milking priority picks to create the foundation of a dynasty team during his early days at the Hawks also, but can't remember if that situation was as dire as this one.

Remember 4 or 5 years ago when North delisted a bunch of mid - senior level players and neutrals were like wtf they are going to bottom out massively and I guess it's playing out.

Also sidenote, Clarko saw the benefit in milking priority picks to create the foundation of a dynasty team during his early days at the Hawks also, but can't remember if that situation was as dire as this one.

It wasn’t, but as far as I can recall Schwab oversaw a pretty competitive team. Clarko just went in and gutted it to make it truly competitive, because the one he inherited was reasonable but never a flag threat.

He’s come to us after a couple failed rebuilds, cooked coaches and a culture that was destroyed by the retiring of 4 veterans in 2016. If he came to us immediately after Laidley or Scott, that would’ve been more similar to the Hawthorn situation - competitive teams, capable of finals but not flags.

Jury’s out on whether or not he’s still “got it”. But I am very grateful for Alastair wanting to come to us after the putrid 2017-2022 period and wanting to fix it.
It has been many times worse at North in recent years than the Hawthorn situation in 04/05, but a team of kids is a team of kids and I don’t think (last 5 years aside) what he’s got to play with at the Roos is any worse than Hawks ‘05.

Can he fix it? I hope he does. If anyone can it’s apparently him. He makes some baffling selection and positioning decisions. The whole racism saga took a clear toll too.

In his defence, he’s been criticised of “not being a fan of the draft”, now he’s being criticised for drafting a lot and playing all the kids. So which is it? He believed in the draft in his early days at hawthorn, and he clearly does so far with us….

Time will tell.

Clarko signed for 5 years might indicate that North Melbourne understand their rebuild will take time.

He took the job to keep the dollars rolling in. The passion, drive and ability to coach a winning side is long gone.

LDU also needs a kick up the arse. Should be leading his team but instead is collecting a paycheck each week doing the bare minimum. You have first year players with more heart than him.
If he goes to a Collingwood or Geelong like has been reported he'll end up a superstar.

You're right that he's not doing enough, but who's actually around to tell him that? and even if they do, do they have the credibility that he'd even bother to listen?

Player development is so important, much more than draft position.

The habits he's got now are a product of what North have allowed him to get away with thus far. At a club with experienced leaders and/or on field success, that wouldn't be the case.

He obviously has some responsibility in that, but the football club does too.

It's going to take a Pendles, Sidebottom, Danger or Stewart sitting him down at a new club to get those habits out of him, or a Hodge type going to North and setting the standards if he is to stay.

Until then, he'll coast week to week just doing what's required, and nothing more.

They should be throwing everything at Boak, Ward, & Duncan types, even if it is just for a year or two.

Until then, the case of LDU will just keep happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back