Tom Hawkins 350 games - What is his standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

A great player no doubt about it, but time's up. Geelong will get sentimental about it all, but he needs to retire immediately. He's well and truly cooked, as are al of others at Geelong

Sorry I went to check. 46+, 12 seasons straight.

I guess that makes your opinion right and my opinion wrong.

And surely you're being a tad generous....I mean why make it 46+?? 50+ is better. 50 is the half century mark.

You throw Hawkins back in time in his peak he would easily kick 100+ goals a season (in the 80's and 90's)

The same applies to Kennedy, Franklin and Riewoldt - they'd kick a lot more goals in the 1980s and 1990s as well.

The same applies to Kennedy, Franklin and Riewoldt - they'd kick a lot more goals in the 1980s and 1990s as well.

This was a table made for Buddy's 1000th goal but it is still relevant here

1715403406907.png

Hawkins has kicked another 70 or so goals since then though, so adjusted he could be close to 900 goals now.

This was a table made for Buddy's 1000th goal but it is still relevant here

View attachment 1985842

Hawkins has kicked another 70 or so goals since then though, so adjusted he could be close to 900 goals now.

Going by that table, where are Kennedy are Riewoldt situated?

I agree. The same applies to Kennedy, Franklin and Riewoldt - they'd kick a lot more goals in the Lockett/Dunstall era. Just how many is anyone's guess.
Hawkins is more like the Dunstall/Lockett type of forward though. I reckon he'd have been huge if he played in the 90s. Kennedy maybe too. Jack & Buddy were more suited to the modern game

Hawkins is more like the Dunstall/Lockett type of forward though. I reckon he'd have been huge if he played in the 90s. Kennedy maybe too. Jack & Buddy were more suited to the modern game

I'm just saying as a general point that Hawkins, Riewoldt, Franklin and Kennedy would of kicked more goals in the 1980s/1990s.

I’m just saying as a general point that Jack Riewoldt must be mentioned at least as many times as Tom Hawkins is mentioned…
……in a Tom Hawkins thread.

Am I doing it right Falcon?

Most Times Kicking 50+ Goals in Season

Tony Lockett: 14x (18 seasons)
Gordon Coventry: 13x (18 seasons)
Lance Franklin: 13x (18 seasons)
Jason Dunstall: 12x (14 seasons)
Gary Ablett Snr: 11x (14 seasons)
Doug Wade: 11x (15 seasons)
Stephen Kernahan: 10x (12 seasons)
Matthew Lloyd: 10x (15 seasons)
Leigh Matthews: 10 (17 seasons)
Jack Titus: 10x (18 seasons)
Jack Riewoldt: 9x (17 seasons)
Matthew Richardson: 8x (17 seasons)
Tom Hawkins: 8x (18 seasons)
Hawkins the only player out of them to never kick 10 goals in a game, or 70 goals in a season

Tom Hawkins is set to play his 356th game for the Geelong Cats, passing Joel Selwood as the games record-holder for the club.

Mitch Duncan and Tom Hawkins (Geelong Cats) are set to play their 261st game together, passing Joel Selwood and Harry Taylor in third for games played together as teammates for the club.

Tom Hawkins (Geelong Cats) requires nine goals to equal Matthew Richardson in 12th on he VFL/AFL goal-kicking list. Hawkins is currently on 791 goals.

His record is amazing, no argument. I guess from an outside perspective Geelong has had some real stars during Hawkins tenure so there hasn't been the frenzied media attention on him that you get with other similar key forwards. He seems to be a pretty unassuming guy as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His record is amazing, no argument. I guess from an outside perspective Geelong has had some real stars during Hawkins tenure so there hasn't been the frenzied media attention on him that you get with other similar key forwards. He seems to be a pretty unassuming guy as well.

He's been more of a consistent forward threat than someone who goes wild and kicks six plus. But he's been a player that we have been able to build our forward structure around for more than a decade (in a side that usually plays finals) which is a pretty important aspect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back