Coach Luke Beveridge & the Dogs - is his time up? Where are they at?

Is Luke Beveridge’s time up at the Bulldogs?

• Yes

Votes: 269 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 51 15.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they’re probably ripe for a quick mini-rebuild.

I’d say they have a lot of players who could do with a change and probably have a bit of value, so can be converted to something at the trade table.

Obviously Bont is a megastar and although Libba is starting to get on, he is of course a gun and solid citizen so you wouldn’t get rid of him.

Ugle Hagan is a star

Darcy looks the goods so if English goes, it might not be the end of the world given what you will get in return.

Some smart trades and picks - Collingwood is probably the model - and a new hungry coach, and they could be very good once again very quickly. They’ve got some big pieces locked down and some reasonable trade currency outside of that.

Yeah if bulldogs heirachy play it right they could be challenging again pretty soon with a few of their current gun players but surrounded by an array of new upcoming talent

McRae/smith/daniel/lobb should all be on the table ,no beating around , get the best deal possible with each and move on.

Busslinger could go too but it’ll depend on who they can bring in /if the new coach goes with naughton back

English could go either way but probably best to keep if they can , especially with a new coach

Which leads to the dogs no 1 priority right now-none of the above really matters until they heck bevo off first and foremost .
The blokes absolutely cooked in terms of coaching .
Like shouldn’t bet let near a coaches box again type of cooked

There needs to be accountability whether it be the recruiting team or the coach or the players. No other team has been so kissed with father/sons and NGA picks yet they still can't make anything of it. With the amount of free looks and draft free hits they should've won a couple of flags by now. That's just the reality. In terms of Beveridge, ever since his unhinged blow up at Tom Morris it was pretty clear that the guy is emotionally immature and shouldn't be the leader of a list of 40-odd AFL players. Time to move him on.
I stand by everything I said last season. I think Bevo just can't read the room. He should be playing Sanders as a full time mid, Bont also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Doggies have too much talent to be this poor.

Last night they just looked clueless and rattled.
No offence Bombers but Essendon are not a good enough team to make another team look that bad.

Any team can win on their day, I get that.
Though there were times last night where the dogs looked amateurish and that was the alarming part.

I think he needs to be moved on. He has been given more leeway for what he did in 2016 and rightfully so, but I think that this extension has run out.

I look at the dogs list and I think they have one of the best lists in the comp looking at it on face value but they have continually underperformed for years, strange selections etc.

With what they have, they should be thinking about premierships

Putting guys as the sub when 17 other clubs would take them is an interesting approach.

Dale is better than 8-9 blokes picked last night...

JUH and Naughton keep getting labelled as stars but they dont win games.

I hope they keep Bevo a few more years though

The 2 year extension at the start of last year probably saved him for this year - no way he would have survived the West Coast loss last year otherwise.

He's arguably the greatest coach we've had in the VFL era, but right now he just seems stale. I'm not sure he sees out the year because last night was as close to a 'coach killer' game as you can get. Fans can forgive a loss if the team shows spirit but last night was imply listless.

The 2 year extension at the start of last year probably saved him for this year - no way he would have survived the West Coast loss last year otherwise.

He's arguably the greatest coach we've had in the VFL era, but right now he just seems stale. I'm not sure he sees out the year because last night was as close to a 'coach killer' game as you can get. Fans can forgive a loss if the team shows spirit but last night was imply listless.
I’m not trying to have a go but I seriously hate the statement that he is our best coach ever, with some suggesting (not you) he should be given leeway because of it. Do people forget how terrible we were for so long, being our best coach ever, despite winning a premiership and making another grand final that is not exactly the pinnacle of achievements in this competition. Winning a flag will always have unexplainable value especially a drought breaking but we can’t justify him being the coach any longer.

Sorry for the rant. That statement just makes me feel like the ambition of a Collingwood supporter stuck inside the body of a Bulldog. Forced to accept mediocrity.

The Doggies have too much talent to be this poor.

Last night they just looked clueless and rattled.
No offence Bombers but Essendon are not a good enough team to make another team look that bad.

Any team can win on their day, I get that.
Though there were times last night where the dogs looked amateurish and that was the alarming part.

Off the top of my head they have:

The most consistent top player in the game
A very good mobile ruck
The most promising KPF in the game
The most promising ruck forward in the game
A crash and bash CHF of good quality
Libba, Treloar (with a Pies paid discount), Jones, Weightman, West (this season), a few others I have forgotten
Some pretty decent young defenders now

And they are constantly around 50% W/L.

Bevo is getting exposed now that the Dogs are no longer getting their magic carpet ride from the umpires.

On top of that he makes some baffling decisions like subbing out Sanders last night when he was one of their better players.

With the list the Dogs have they should be performing better than they are and the buck stops with the coach in terms of team performance.

Back