Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne Kangaroos Gather Round 4
Friday 4.10pm AEST at Norwood Oval
Predicted weather Sunny 11-24 C

1712044707394.png

Firstly, it looks like more preview writers are needed for the year.
If you have not given it a go, no time like the present. Just do it in your style.

Last time North beat the Lions was in August 2018 at The Gabba
The Lions are favorites to win again: Lions $1.13 to North $6.05
A few Lions posters have made some money by backing the opposition the last 3 games but they should hold off this week.

North Melbourne 0-3 with 66.4%
I have only watched them once this year.
A young side that will have some good moments during the course of the game.
Experienced teams should be able to comfortably get their measure as the game progresses.
Three games in so who is getting amongst the footy for North.

Average Disposal Leaders (with over 20 per game).
Sheezel 33, LDU 29, T Powell 28, Fisher 22, McKercher 21 (18 years old), B. Scott 20.
Who is scoring their total number of goals
Larkey 7, Curtis 7, Zuraar 4
Who is getting the uncontested possessions that young teams are usually okay at.
Sheezel 22, Powell 18, LDU 17, McKercher 16, B Scott 13, Fisher 12
Their average per game tackle leaders
The ruck Xerri leads with 7, Wardlaw, Zurhaar & McDonald 4, Sheezel & LDU 3.
Ruck contests
They only have 1 ruck in Xerri.
Who leads the average game contested possessions.
Xerri 13, LDU 12, Wardlaw 9, Zurhaar 8.

As can be seen quite a few of the same names crop up in most categories.

Brisbane Lions 0-3 with 83.8%
We have had a bad start to the season and then the trip away issues hit the media this week and for some reason is still ongoing.
Playing and beating a bottom side will give the players some confidence going forward.
Having a good win just gets us the 4 points.
Hopefully the win gets the team on the right path leading into the Demons game the following Thursday at the MCG.
We need to apply 4 quarters of pressure footy and should not let up at all during the game.
Do this and the score will take care of itself. Consistent solid footy for 4 quarters would be great to see even against weak opposition.

I would like to see Morris get a game against weaker opposition to see how he goes. An unlikely change but you never know.

Lohmann also needs a full game against average opposition. He should get promoted in place of Dev who has been way below average.
Prior could replace Answerth to see how he performs against weaker AFL opposition. Either playing is fine by me.

We do not need 2 rucks against North so I will be surprised if Fort retains his spot.
My team for what it’s worth.

LIONS

B: B.Starcevich, J.Payne, R.Lester

HB: D.Wilmot, H.Andrews , D.Zorko

C: J.Fletcher, H.McCluggage, J.Berry

HF: C.Cameron, E.Hipwood, L.McCarthy

F: C.Rayner, J.Daniher, L.Morris

FOLL: O.McInerney, J.Dunkley, L.Neale

I/C: K.Lohmann, C.Ah-Chee, Z.Bailey, (N.Answerth/J.Prior)

5th I/C from B.Reville (Cat B upgrade?), J.Tunstill, D Robertson.

I mentioned before last weeks game that if they moved Zorko to half back he would average 25 disposals over the year in that position.
He had 30 disposals @ 76%, 4 marks and only 2 tackles. In my opinion he should stay there for the year even when McKenna returns.

Berry returned to his best position wing last week and played well after 2 games in defense.

Many have called for Hippy’s head to roll but I think he is safe from the guillotine this week.
Eric is a low possession mobile KPF who kicked 41 goals last year, the next best being Bailey with 29.
Hippy averaged 10 disposals and 1.6 goals per game in 2023.
This year his 3-game average is 9 disposals and 1.3 goals per game.
Last week he was all at sea for some reason but did collect 8 disposals, 4 marks (dropped another 3 marks) and no score at all.
No frees for Eric but 3 against him did not help his day.

I see Dunkley going to LDU and reducing LDU's usual output.
North don’t have that many avenues to goal even though their 3-game average is 80 points.
Our defenders need to clamp down on their 3 goal avenue guys in Larky, Curtis and Zurhaar then we are halfway to victory.

If Neale plays, he probably won’t get a tag as North have not gone with one in the first 3 games nor did they last year.

I don’t think Lyons plays this week unless they decide to rest Neale.
Rayner getting more CBA's and will move into 4th spot behind Neale, Dunkley and McCluggage assuming Lyons does not play.

A8Exie9Lh4OiUaAlEQzDDG4JXu8tVQ79Q1_-qHuO-8AGMGTFRNROANAdyYnhxf2sE-WGvowNqOeus65CoOpaDqUeMM31khq0k9NE3HfHdz3gf-lhDqmbXpCz8-qDMKGClat2yETH0VIfnHqcFID4NCo

Summary

The experienced Lions side have their season on the line just like the Pies did last week.
We should reply just like the Pies did and easily account for the young Kangaroos.
The Lions need to win and win well and most importantly no injuries.
Lions by 50 plus.

Great work Section 5 especially after stepping in last minute.

We will have to watch Larkey he always seems to kick a bag on us.

With Lachie likely very sore, we need to get the ball forward from the midfield and other will need to step up, because if we do, our forward line ‘should’ be too strong.

A few Lions posters have made some money by backing the opposition the last 3 games but they should hold off this week.

We should reply just like the Pies did and easily account for the young Kangaroos.

Lions by 50 plus.
I really want to agree with all this... But I believe we're more likely to see something like this game from 2005:

A very dirty day where a number of champions were made to look very silly against a bunch of young upstarts led by a rookie coach named Alastair Clarkson.

Wardlaw is likely to break tackles at will on Friday while Curtis provides the icing on the cake.

As an aside I had my Betfair account closed over summer. They found "suspicious activity" on my account... I had been using a VPN to place live in-game bets without having to phone up (like when we led Melbourne by 28 points for instance), and invariably I'd use Japan as my locale, as it must be legal there. To be honest, with hindsight, I'm surprised I was able to get away with this for as long as I did... 2-3 years I reckon it was.

Anyway I haven't bothered to create a new account, with any bookie, and have found it quite liberating. I would have made a truckload by now if my account had not been closed (imagine Carlton's odds in the 2nd quarter of opening round), but I really don't miss it at all. I just want us to start bloody winning!

But I still think those who bet like I used to should be pinning their ears back on North this week. Everything about the way they play will challenge us on Friday.

I really want to agree with all this... But I believe we're more likely to see something like this game from 2005:

A very dirty day where a number of champions were made to look very silly against a bunch of young upstarts led by a rookie coach named Alastair Clarkson.

Wardlaw is likely to break tackles at will on Friday while Curtis provides the icing on the cake.

As an aside I had my Betfair account closed over summer. They found "suspicious activity" on my account... I had been using a VPN to place live in-game bets without having to phone up (like when we led Melbourne by 28 points for instance), and invariably I'd use Japan as my locale, as it must be legal there. To be honest, with hindsight, I'm surprised I was able to get away with this for as long as I did... 2-3 years I reckon it was.

Anyway I haven't bothered to create a new account, with any bookie, and have found it quite liberating. I would have made a truckload by now if my account had not been closed (imagine Carlton's odds in the 2nd quarter of opening round), but I really don't miss it at all. I just want us to start bloody winning!

But I still think those who bet like I used to should be pinning their ears back on North this week. Everything about the way they play will challenge us on Friday.
I have to say as a punter Grasshopper the odds they bet in running are just insane.

The best one is cricket. You can get yourself in a no lose situation within 2 days in most test matches.

Like everything in life people just overreact so if a team starts like a house on fire everyone jumps on the one thing and the bookies give silly odds that the match could turn around.

It's really the only real value for pros any more. Because of the taxes and the fact the all the bookmaking operations are now run by accountants ,not bookmakers , the markets on racing particularly pre post are miles too tight and footy not a whole lot better.

Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne Kangaroos Gather Round 4
Friday 4.10pm AEST at Norwood Oval
Predicted weather Sunny 11-24 C

View attachment 1947599

Firstly, it looks like more preview writers are needed for the year.
If you have not given it a go, no time like the present. Just do it in your style.

Last time North beat the Lions was in August 2018 at The Gabba

North Melbourne 0-3 with 66.4%
I have only watched them once this year.
A young side that will have some good moments during the course of the game.
Experienced teams should be able to comfortably get their measure as the game progresses.
Three games in so who is getting amongst the footy for North.

Average Disposal Leaders (with over 20 per game).
Sheezel 33, LDU 29, T Powell 28, Fisher 22, McKercher 21 (18 years old), B. Scott 20.
Who is scoring their total number of goals
Larkey 7, Curtis 7, Zuraar 4
Who is getting the uncontested possessions that young teams are usually okay at.
Sheezel 22, Powell 18, LDU 17, McKercher 16, B Scott 13, Fisher 12
Their average per game tackle leaders
The ruck Xerri leads with 7, Wardlaw, Zurhaar & McDonald 4, Sheezel & LDU 3.
Ruck contests
They only have 1 ruck in Xerri.
Who leads the average game contested possessions.
Xerri 13, LDU 12, Wardlaw 9, Zurhaar 8.

As can be seen quite a few of the same names crop up in most categories.

Brisbane Lions 0-3 with 83.8%
We have had a bad start to the season and then the trip away issues hit the media this week and for some reason is still ongoing.
Playing and beating a bottom side will give the players some confidence going forward.
Having a good win just gets us the 4 points.
Hopefully the win gets the team on the right path leading into the Demons game the following Thursday at the MCG.
We need to apply 4 quarters of pressure footy and should not let up at all during the game.
Do this and the score will take care of itself. Consistent solid footy for 4 quarters would be great to see even against weak opposition.

I would like to see Morris get a game against weaker opposition to see how he goes. An unlikely change but you never know.

Lohmann also needs a full game against average opposition. He should get promoted in place of Dev who has been way below average.
Prior could replace Answerth to see how he performs against weaker AFL opposition. Either playing is fine by me.

We do not need 2 rucks against North so I will be surprised if Fort retains his spot.
My team for what it’s worth.

LIONS

B: B.Starcevich, J.Payne, R.Lester

HB: D.Wilmot, H.Andrews , D.Zorko

C: J.Fletcher, H.McCluggage, J.Berry

HF: C.Cameron, E.Hipwood, L.McCarthy

F: C.Rayner, J.Daniher, L.Morris

FOLL: O.McInerney, J.Dunkley, L.Neale

I/C: K.Lohmann, C.Ah-Chee, Z.Bailey, (N.Answerth/J.Prior)

5th I/C from B.Reville (Cat B upgrade?), J.Tunstill, D Robertson.

I mentioned before last weeks game that if they moved Zorko to half back he would average 25 disposals over the year in that position.
He had 30 disposals @ 76%, 4 marks and only 2 tackles. In my opinion he should stay there for the year even when McKenna returns.

Berry returned to his best position wing last week and played well after 2 games in defense.

Many have called for Hippy’s head to roll but I think he is safe from the guillotine this week.
Eric is a low possession mobile KPF who kicked 41 goals last year, the next best being Bailey with 29.
Hippy averaged 10 disposals and 1.6 goals per game in 2023.
This year his 3-game average is 9 disposals and 1.3 goals per game.
Last week he was all at sea for some reason but did collect 8 disposals, 4 marks (dropped another 3 marks) and no score at all.
No frees for Eric but 3 against him did not help his day.

I see Dunkley going to LDU and reducing LDU's usual output.
North don’t have that many avenues to goal even though their 3-game average is 80 points.
Our defenders need to clamp down on their 3 goal avenue guys in Larky, Curtis and Zurhaar then we are halfway to victory.

If Neale plays, he probably won’t get a tag as North have not gone with one in the first 3 games nor did they last year.

I don’t think Lyons plays this week unless they decide to rest Neale.
Rayner getting more CBA's and will move into 4th spot behind Neale, Dunkley and McCluggage assuming Lyons does not play.

A8Exie9Lh4OiUaAlEQzDDG4JXu8tVQ79Q1_-qHuO-8AGMGTFRNROANAdyYnhxf2sE-WGvowNqOeus65CoOpaDqUeMM31khq0k9NE3HfHdz3gf-lhDqmbXpCz8-qDMKGClat2yETH0VIfnHqcFID4NCo

Summary

The experienced Lions side have their season on the line just like the Pies did last week.
The Lions need to win and win well and most importantly no injuries.
Lions by 50 plus.
Thanks Section 5 - great OP.

This is a chance to re-set. Win this, beat Melbourne at the MCG and knock over Geelong at the GABBA and we are on an even keel, with momentum.

The most interesting thing this week is going to be selection. If Fagan can be less vanilla and try to shake it up a bit, he will be setting the tone for the season. He needs to be different to go next level.

Didn't think we'd have to wait at least a month into the season for our first win but I just want us to finally get the monkey off the back, break ourselves out of this slump and get our season into gear.

It's going to take more than a win against North to restore some faith and turn our season around but it would be a start. A controlled, mature performance and some signs of the boys returning to their best footy would be ideal.

Lions by 35

Lions - 109
North - 74

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we win it is North so meh.
If we lose it is North so AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGFGHHHHH followed by a falling sky etc

Yes it is four points but this win (surely?) won't convince anyone.

Just show us what kind of Lions you want to be this year ok?!

The scheduling is actually horrific. I have meetings at work so won’t be able to leave early to watch it. By the time I get home at 6 the game will be over.

The suns got this time slot last year. Makes no sense why you’d schedule the two teams without daylight savings to this slot. Why not just have a Wed night game or an earlier game on sat/sun.

The scheduling is actually horrific. I have meetings at work so won’t be able to leave early to watch it. By the time I get home at 6 the game will be over.

The suns got this time slot last year. Makes no sense why you’d schedule the two teams without daylight savings to this slot. Why not just have a Wed night game or an earlier game on sat/sun.

I'm lucky I'm on leave because it starts at 2:10 here in Perth

Daylight savings finishes on Sunday too.🙄

Skill issue. I put in for leave last year as soon as I saw the draw (I'll actually be at the game).

Kinda bizarre in retrospect that we didn't get one of the business hours games during covid. Was pretty funny to have hawks-bombers on at 3pm on a tuesday in 2020.

Skill issue. I put in for leave last year as soon as I saw the draw (I'll actually be at the game).

Kinda bizarre in retrospect that we didn't get one of the business hours games during covid. Was pretty funny to have hawks-bombers on at 3pm on a tuesday in 2020.

I only realised it was a 410 start this week after my calendar was full of meetings I can’t reschedule 🌋

I only realised it was a 410 start this week after my calendar was full of meetings I can’t reschedule 🌋

I’ve told you for years that jobs are for losers.

I’ve told you for years that jobs are for losers.

And I’ve told you that just because I make parkour videos for TikTok, doesn’t mean it isn’t a real job.

If we lose to a defence of A Corr and T Pink then it’ll be alarm bells. I’ve actually watched a few North games and their defence is horrific. A lot of panic free kicks as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back