Restricted Free Agent Hugh McCluggage [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

So that would be a no? Is it just a vibe?

Going by that, surely North do in fact have the hardest draw - it's not easy playing every game against teams above them on the ladder.

Doesn’t matter whether you’re talking about North or Brisbane. Just look at the draw we’ve had so far. Really not that difficult.

Doesn’t matter whether you’re talking about North or Brisbane. Just look at the draw we’ve had so far. Really not that difficult.

The post was in reference to the entire season, not the season to date.

I asked the question, you weren't able to add anything of substance, whilst others were. All good, we move on.

The post was in reference to the entire season, not the season to date.

I asked the question, you weren't able to add anything of substance, whilst others were. All good, we move on.
I thought me suggesting you look at our draw is as much substance as you need. But as you said, we move on.

I thought me suggesting you look at our draw is as much substance as you need. But as you said, we move on.

No, this isn’t Mabo. Was after a little more than a vibe. Thankfully others have taken a moment to provide it, even if you can’t.

I said at the start of the year, I would be surprised if he left Brisbane but after there terrible season, I would not be surprised now, I do not think he is worth the reported 1.3m a year & definitely don't think Brisbane will pay that much to keep him.

I feel like some club from Victoria will & he is from there. Hawthorn/Collingwood would be suiters considering ppl in the media have stated the Pies have 4-5m warchest...

Interesting situation for Brisbane, time to reset around the F/S trio? Key players are getting older and with how fast lists can move sometimes, maybe this run is done? Cashing in on McCluggage when you're missing the 8 is possibly not worst thing but then if they arent bottom 4 (I cant see how they will be), you'd still force a trade.

Also, with Ashcroft number 2 seemingly around the top 5, an extra top pick might not be that useful unless they would be sure they can get ahead of the bid

Last edited:
Interesting situation for Brisbane, time to rest around the F/S trio? Key players are getting older and with how fast lists can move sometimes, maybe this run is done? Cashing in on McCluggage when you're missing the 8 is possibly not worst thing but then if they arent bottom 4 (I cant see how they will be), you'd still force a trade.

Also, with Ashcroft number 2 seemingly around the top 5, an extra top pick might not be that useful unless they would be sure they can get ahead of the bid

Nah we need to retain Hugh. Our list profile is ok.

This would also be the worst year to try and extract value for Hugh. The only clubs we could some sembelnce of value from are Freo and GC with their multiple firsts if we force a trade and even then I’m not sure the value is there. Gc will finish around or in the 8. Freo will finish no lower than 14th. Plus I don’t think he would want to play for either.

Nah we need to retain Hugh. Our list profile is ok.

This would also be the worst year to try and extract value for Hugh. The only clubs we could some sembelnce of value from are Freo and GC with their multiple firsts if we force a trade and even then I’m not sure the value is there. Gc will finish around or in the 8. Freo will finish no lower than 14th. Plus I don’t think he would want to play for either.
Yeah he's not coming here, he'd be a pretty good fit for what we need though =(

You'd have to somehow get a top 5 pick from someone and use that and your actual pick to get pick 2 and later picks to pay for Levi. I agree not the right time for losing him but the list team seems pretty good at getting maximum value out of F/S pick-ups

Has anyone been able to confirm exactly what happens with an RFA if the teams matches and a trade can't be agreed on?

I would assume that, unlike american sports, an RFA wouldn't then be forced to go back to their current team on those terms but instead go into the preseason draft.

But has it actually been confirmed. I couldn't find anything on the AFL site.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone been able to confirm exactly what happens with an RFA if the teams matches and a trade can't be agreed on?

I would assume that, unlike american sports, an RFA wouldn't then be forced to go back to their current team on those terms but instead go into the preseason draft.

While I dont have a definitive source, once matched, the player can stay at their club on the offer or choose to move still, effectively becoming like any other OOC player asking for a trade. It might have Jeremy Cameron where GWS formally matched the offer and forced a trade

If a RFA offer is matched, the player has the choice of whether to stay at the current club, or enter the draft.

It’s outlined in the link below:

https://www.aflplayers.com.au/app/uploads/2020/12/AFL_FREE_AGENCY_EXPLAINED_2019.pdf

The only uncertainty I have is which draft the player goes into if he does decide to leave.

What happens to that money if a contract is matched and a player enters the draft ? You would think the club drafted him would need to pay the full agreement
If mccluggage enters the draft both national and pre season he can name his contract stipulations .

Like Luke Ball did in the national draft or Jack Martin in the preseason draft .

Wouldn't stop a North Melbourne or hawthorn from taking him.

Reported on Fox Footy Mid-week tackle

4 clubs at top of list for Hugh's Services

Collingwood
Geelong
Essendon
St.Kilda

They did premise this by saying looks like he wants to stay in Brisbane

What happens to that money if a contract is matched and a player enters the draft ? You would think the club drafted him would need to pay the full agreement
If Bris match then the player either accepts and Brisb must have that matched offer in their Sal Cap .. or he refuses ..at which time he is just an non contracted player and Brisb then neg a trade.

Why they would want to match if they finish poorly is the question. They may be able to neg a deal with the likes of North for p1

I think St Kilda maybe a danger for the money or Geelong, he is a country Vic product and they are a very well run operation. He said at the start of the year that he wants to stay (in the QLD paper) but that was before we went 2-5, maybe he is waiting to see if we turn it around, maybe he's holding out for the $$ and intends to stay, who knows...

Last edited:
Doesn't shock me to here we are throwing the sink at Hugh and LDU to try and snag one of them.

Don't see either coming to us however. The bigger clubs can just offer so much more off field than what we can offer

Doesn't shock me to here we are throwing the sink at Hugh and LDU to try and snag one of them.

Don't see either coming to us however. The bigger clubs can just offer so much more off field than what we can offer
ldu could be pretty gettable.

wouldnt be too inconvenient for him to travel to moorabin from the mornington peninsula if he wanted to move back there and saints have a good crop of youth emerging under ross.

could be similar to the neale 2018 acquisition for brisbane and push saints into contenders.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back