Restricted Free Agent Tim English [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

To be honest I suspect we sign Marra up this year to a massive deal and lose one of Baz or Timmy.

I know it's popular to hate on ruckman these days, but outside of 1 finals series I am pretty sure Tim has more positive effect on your team than Baz does.
Maybe but ultimately it will be about our best use of assets as a club. The club may see Darcy as our long term ruckman of the future for all we know.

The club has to weigh up whether they would prefer to keep English or free up an extra $1 million in cap space and obtain a first rounder, especially if they are confident that Darcy, Lobb and another mature backup could hold down the ruck position in the short term.

Maybe but ultimately it will be about our best use of assets as a club. The club may see Darcy as our long term ruckman of the future for all we know.

The club has to weigh up whether they would prefer to keep English or free up an extra $1 million in cap space and obtain a first rounder, especially if they are confident that Darcy, Lobb and another mature backup could hold down the ruck position in the short term.
Sure.

If Bevo is still there though, I know who he'd rather for 2025 if his job is on the line.

Also, if your team decides to rely on Lobb in the ruck, you made the wrong call.

WC cannot walk English to PSD.
If they make the free agent offer and the Dogs match then he stays at the Dogs on that matched contract UNLESS WC (or any other team making the free agent offer) come up with a trade.

PSD is for uncontracted players .
A matched offer to a free agent means their is a contract.

English will have the options of the free agency if the contract is unmatched, a trade agreed by all parties, or staying at the Dogs under the matched contract.

Then they don't offer a FA deal.

Dogs can't reject and match.

Falls OOC Goes to PSD.

Now that won't happen as clubs always work out a deal. However to say he can't go to the PSD is incorrect.

A player isn't stuck at a club because they offer him a contract. That's what the PSD is for, a post list lodgement mechanism for player movement with set terms.

A matched offer would just mean he stays at the Dogs for way more money than they currently are offering him to stay. The cost of that for who falls out the other end of the bed is the harder pill to swallow.

Think there's some key facts missing from this discussion. Tim has bought a property in Melbourne and his mrs has moved back over east. By all reports he's very settled in Melbourne. If he goes anywhere my money would be to another Melbourne club and not the Eagles. He's 80/20 likely to stay at the dogs
Can you still sell property?

Think there's some key facts missing from this discussion. Tim has bought a property in Melbourne and his mrs has moved back over east. By all reports he's very settled in Melbourne. If he goes anywhere my money would be to another Melbourne club and not the Eagles. He's 80/20 likely to stay at the dogs

Hope so

It's not a great feeling for Dogs fans going into the 2024 knowing 3 of their top 7 best/most important players are out of contract at the end of the seseason.
They do have a wealth of desirable trade players though that would fetch good prices, largely helped by some Academy and F/S pot luck, but it means even if they can't afford to keep them all, which will probably be the case, someone they lose will fetch them a very good trade return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100% we would match and force a trade

Depends where yo7 finish. If numerous things went horribly wrong this year and compo is pick 3, it'll be hard to extract more at trade, especially with PSD a genuine threat. There's a couple of moving parts that won't be certain until later in the year. Definitely band 1 though, can lick that in.

I don't believe there is a facility for a club to lodge free agent paperwork for a player who already has had free agent paperwork lodged in that period.

Correct. The free agent paperwork is actually a playing contract lodged with the AFL. If the original club chooses to not match, the contract becomes the actual playing contract. Hard to serve 2 masters.

Regarding how the money is spread, my understanding is that for a team to match free agency, they only need to match the total figure and years. For example if the Eagles offered him $7M across 7 years, we’d need to only match that. If the Eagles offered him $2M of that in the first year, we don’t have to match that term. Is that your understanding?

I’ve seen a lot of Eagles fans say they’ll just front load it for 2025 so that we won’t be able to match, but I don’t believe it works that way.

FA requires matching onky of term and $. If players end up in a draft then the acquiring club must meet the structure of the deal too. That's where the frontloading tactic comes into it.

Is going to sign late feb early March 5 years
Mr Bean Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

Remove this Banner Ad

Back