Restricted Free Agent Tim English [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. Although it's possible to match a long term deal if the Dogs wished to, they can literally put all the money in the last year and it will get across the line.

But the bigger the deal the bigger the financial risk and if WC can dump $2m a year of the deal for the first two years and the Dogs can't do that so the burden is borne in the mid to later years it might make it unworkable.

Ultimately I think a club like WC can lock in their ruck solution for seven to eight years and pay a fortune up front while their young talent is on rookie contracts.
Regarding how the money is spread, my understanding is that for a team to match free agency, they only need to match the total figure and years. For example if the Eagles offered him $7M across 7 years, we’d need to only match that. If the Eagles offered him $2M of that in the first year, we don’t have to match that term. Is that your understanding?

I’ve seen a lot of Eagles fans say they’ll just front load it for 2025 so that we won’t be able to match, but I don’t believe it works that way.

Eagles will offer a huge deal the Dogs can't match, and they'll front end the crap out of it as there's basically no one in their prime on the list atm, a whole bunch of kids and some declining veterans

Regarding how the money is spread, my understanding is that for a team to match free agency, they only need to match the total figure and years. For example if the Eagles offered him $7M across 7 years, we’d need to only match that. If the Eagles offered him $2M of that in the first year, we don’t have to match that term. Is that your understanding?

I believe this to be correct.

I’ve seen a lot of Eagles fans say they’ll just front load it for 2025 so that we won’t be able to match, but I don’t believe it works that way.

My understanding of this is that WCE could offer say, $10m over 7 years and pay the first 3-4 mil in the first couple of years, because we'll have plenty of space in the cap to do that, hence the front-loading suggestions.

Front-loading a contract the Dogs could simply match over the term of the contract wouldn't make much sense, IMO.

That's correct. It makes it easier to match a deal the longer it gets since basically every club has $13,000,000 of free cap space three to four years out from now.

Think there's some key facts missing from this discussion. Tim has bought a property in Melbourne and his mrs has moved back over east. By all reports he's very settled in Melbourne. If he goes anywhere my money would be to another Melbourne club and not the Eagles. He's 80/20 likely to stay at the dogs

Living in fantasy land west coast can easily walk English in the PSD draft
WC cannot walk English to PSD.
If they make the free agent offer and the Dogs match then he stays at the Dogs on that matched contract UNLESS WC (or any other team making the free agent offer) come up with a trade.

PSD is for uncontracted players .
A matched offer to a free agent means their is a contract.

English will have the options of the free agency if the contract is unmatched, a trade agreed by all parties, or staying at the Dogs under the matched contract.

If they make the free agent offer and the Dogs match then he stays at the Dogs on that matched contract UNLESS WC (or any other team making the free agent offer) come up with a trade.

English will have the options of the free agency if the contract is unmatched, a trade agreed by all parties, or staying at the Dogs under the matched contract.
He has the option to put himself in the draft if he didnt want to choose our offer even if we were to match.

According to this link anyway. Interesting though, it says they have to enter the national draft, so walking him to the pre season draft isn’t even an option: Free Agency - AFL.com.au

He has the option to put himself in the draft if he didnt want to choose our offer even if we were to match.

According to this link anyway. Interesting though, it says they have to enter the national draft, so walking him to the pre season draft isn’t even an option: Free Agency - AFL.com.au

Luke Ball did something similar from memory?

Anyway, doubt it comes to that

Which is why he will either have an unmatched free agency move or a trade if he doesn't re-sign with the Dogs.

Thats incorrect he can delist himself he just has to go in the ND rather than the PSD.

Thats incorrect he can delist himself he just has to go in the ND rather than the PSD.
Well that isn't going to happen.

If he goes to the National Draft he probably goes for the pick that could be traded anyway.
Certainly goes high first round and the club he wants to go to is reliant on no other team being able to meet his contract.

It would cost the club he gets too more than the compensation that the Dogs would get.

He either stays at the Dogs or a trade is forced unless the Dogs finish bottom 4.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I cannot understand why WC would be interested in Tim English with where we are at in our rebuild.

It only make sense perhaps if it is about spending the cap now before all the new recruits demand higher salaries in a few years AND if it costs zero draft capital (meaning the dogs don't match, and the AFL covers the draft capital for us under their completely ridiculous system).

I cannot understand why WC would be interested in Tim English with where we are at in our rebuild.

It only make sense perhaps if it is about spending the cap now before all the new recruits demand higher salaries in a few years AND if it costs zero draft capital (meaning the dogs don't match, and the AFL covers the draft capital for us under their completely ridiculous system).

I think you can offer him an obscene front loaded deal that won’t hurt as all your kids are years off big money.

Is going to sign late feb early March 5 years
Nicole Scherzinger Television GIF

I don't get this. He's just muscled up and got an AA. His developmental trajectory is straight upwards. We should be excited.

Noone is doubting his credentials.

It's just Ruckmen don't tend to be the matchwinners which is why you find West Coasters not really wanting us to commit cap to him and some Bulldogs willing to let him go.

If we get him for free and front loaded then that's fine. But otherwise I'd rather throw a Godfather at Warner.

I don't get this. He's just muscled up and got an AA. His developmental trajectory is straight upwards. We should be excited.
Dumping large amounts of money on a ruck-men never ever sits well with me, specially recently looking at just how many ruck deals have blown up.

My understanding is that, for FA purposes, the PSD is considered part of the National Draft. If the Dogs were to match and a trade couldn't be arranged then English could either accept the Dogs' offer, or enter the National Draft (either the main draft or the PSD depending on whichever one most likely gets him to his preferred destination).

It won't come to this though. If he wants to go to WC, they are one of the more reasonable clubs at the trade table.

Luke Ball did something similar from memory?

Anyway, doubt it comes to that
Yep. $500k first year salary as his contact stipulated, and base salary for his second year at Collingwood.

Isn’t it just Grundy or am I missing someone?
Some might say Tom Boyd although in the end it worked out well as he walked away from a massive chunk of his contact anyway. Not really a first ruck either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back