Restricted Free Agent Tim English [RFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

The ship has sailed on him returning to WA given his partner has moved over to Vic.

I mean she is from WA, there is absolutely nothing stopping her from moving back.

Eagles will come very very hard for him and his manager would be a fool not to listen, depends how much more than the Dogs they can offer

No club is going to pay 10 million for a ruckman, esp one that is 27 next year.

Would be diabolical cap management from the Eagles.
Perhaps I exaggerated a little. But not much.

It will be a monstrous offer.

(I agree with you it would be diabolical, but that is a different issue. How much was the dog's contract for (a much younger) boyd in today's money?)

Makes more sense for a club like North Melbourne who have cap space to burn and a glaring need for a qualify first ruck to have English instead of The Eagles

I would probably be surprised if he left the Kennel though.
I would love him at North but wouldn't want to pay him as much as he would command.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No club is going to pay 10 million for a ruckman, esp one that is 27 next year.

Would be diabolical cap management from the Eagles.
It's unlikely but not without possibility.

Max Gawn is 32 and on 900k. Given expanding TPPs that figure becomes 1.1-1.3 by the time English is half way through his contract.
Grundy is on 1m (29 yrs)
Darcy is on a 6 year deal.

Clubs are paying up for elite rucks.

Additionally, McGovern's deal ends at the end of this year, which opens up 1.3m

So, 1.3 mill (from McGovern) into English + TPP increase = 10m over 7 years. English would still only be 32 (Gawn's age now) in the contract's last year.

It's unlikely but not without possibility.

Max Gawn is 32 and on 900k. Given expanding TPPs that figure becomes 1.1-1.3 by the time English is half way through his contract.
Grundy is on 1m (29 yrs)
Darcy is on a 6 year deal.

Clubs are paying up for elite rucks.

Additionally, McGovern's deal ends at the end of this year, which opens up 1.3m

So, 1.3 mill (from McGovern) into English + TPP increase = 10m over 7 years. English would still only be 32 (Gawn's age now) in the contract's last year.
elite rucks arent really worth the salary cap commanded to bring them over as a fa/ trade unless they are a gawn level game changer with their work around the ground imo. look at how quick collingwood wanted to get away from that grundy deal

peak gawn is much better than anything english has displayed so far. genuine generational ruckman. i doubt english reaches that level.

elite rucks arent really worth the salary cap commanded to bring them over as a fa/ trade unless they are a gawn level game changer with their work around the ground imo. look at how quick collingwood wanted to get away from that grundy deal

peak gawn is much better than anything english has displayed so far. genuine generational ruckman. i doubt english reaches that level.

Luke Jackson is because he can play around the ground and push foward and have scoreboard impact

But you don't want to make the mistake if overpaying like Collingwood did with Brodie Grundy

Luke Jackson is because he can play around the ground and push foward and have scoreboard impact

But you don't want to make the mistake if overpaying like Collingwood did with Brodie Grundy
jackson did show this year he can play at a high level when not the solo ruck. more of a kpp size utility than a true ruck for fremantle

english has never shown that really - far closer analogue to grundy as you say

From a list management perspective I just can't justify the cap price of elite ruckmen. Get a cheap journeyman like the premiers have and just make do.
You could say that about a number of positions though. Who were the marquee key forwards in the last two premiership teams?

Edit: Yes I'm aware it's a small sample size, as opposed to rucks.

You could say that about a number of positions though. Who were the marquee key forwards in the last two premiership teams?

Edit: Yes I'm aware it's a small sample size, as opposed to rucks.
tom hawkins and jeremy cameron are two of the best key forwards of their generation and were the two marquee key forwards of the previous premiership team. not sure what point youre making

tom hawkins and jeremy cameron are two of the best key forwards of their generation and were the two marquee key forwards of the previous premiership team. not sure what point youre making
For some reason I completely blanked Geelong winning the premiership in 2022 and thought the last two premiers were Melbourne and Collingwood.

My mistake.

Doubt Eagles make a massive play for him, tbh. Already have enough ruckmen on the list to begin with and the young blokes we've drafted will start demanding more money in their next contracts.

TK's the only really notable big name trade we've gone for in recent memory, with Cummings probably the only one prior to that.

Not really in Eagles MO to go for a big fish during a rebuild, based off past history.

From a list management perspective I just can't justify the cap price of elite ruckmen. Get a cheap journeyman like the premiers have and just make do.

Ideally you have two above average ruckman to shoulder the load together in a game, like Carlton have with TDK and Pittonet when fit.
Doubt Eagles make a massive play for him, tbh. Already have enough ruckmen on the list to begin with and the young blokes we've drafted will start demanding more money in their next contracts.

TK's the only really notable big name trade we've gone for in recent memory, with Cummings probably the only one prior to that.

Not really in Eagles MO to go for a big fish during a rebuild, based off past history.

Imo if The Eagles can get Harley Reid to recommit to the club once his first contract ends (after the first 3 year ends) that would be a far bigger coup for your club than getting any big name WA player back to the Eagles (like English or Logan McDonald)

Your club's bred and butter and flag success was drafting and keeping non WA players home (Judd being the only obvious example, even then you did win that trade)

Ideally you have two above average ruckman to shoulder the load together in a game, like Carlton have with TDK and Pittonet when fit.

Imo if The Eagles can get Harley Reid to recommit to the club once his first contract ends (after the first 3 year ends) that would be a far bigger coup for your club than getting any big name WA player back to the Eagles (like English or Logan McDonald)

Your club's bred and butter and flag success was drafting and keeping non WA players home (Judd being the only obvious example, even then you did win that trade)
This is pretty much it.

We already have a gun KPF(Allen) so Logan isn't a huge need.

English is likely to be retired by the time WCE look likely to contend again.

Much rather secure signatures of up and comers and fill list gaps via trade/FA later.

This is pretty much it.

We already have a gun KPF(Allen) so Logan isn't a huge need.

English is likely to be retired by the time WCE look likely to contend again.

Much rather secure signatures of up and comers and fill list gaps via trade/FA later.
I agree. Certainly the road i'd take.

Historically though, if English requests a trade to Eagles, they won't say no.

Similar to Jackson, who wasn't a need at Freo, if elite talent want's to come to your club you generally find a way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back