News Gabba Upgrade & Olympics News

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, I had seen that and love it and think it would be the best long term option for the Lions, and me as I could continue to walk there on game day:D however as you say where would we play while it is being built is the conundrum.

It looks so bloody good if this is what would actually be delivered in the end.
View attachment 1962094
Beautiful and especially with the backdrop of the City for the Olympics as well.
Would put us on the map.

Thanks for all the updates Iron Turtle, would love to see what statements Peter Edwards made to the enquiry if you have the time and inclination to link it.
12.17pm

‘No-brainer’: New stadium, arena and aquatic centre all for $3.4b​

By Cameron Atfield​

A new Olympic stadium, arena and aquatic centre could all be delivered at Victoria Park for a cost of $3.4 billion, Archipelago Architects founding director Peter Edwards has told the Senate inquiry into the Brisbane 2032 Games.
The Quirk review came up with a $3.4 billion price tag for a Victoria Park stadium alone, but Edwards said an arena and aquatic centre could be added at the same price.

Edwards said they came up with the Brisbane Bold vision after conversations with the state government following their involvement with the Commonwealth Games athletes’ village at Robina.
“I have never made the presentation and received anything but ‘this is a no-brainer’,” he said.
While Brisbane Bold initially included an athletes’ village, which has since been relocated to Hamilton, Edwards said engineering company Arcadis had costed the three sporting facilities at Victoria Park at $3.4 billion.
That cost included the “connecting tissue” over railway lines and the Inner-City Bypass, Edwards said.
Asked why it appeared to be so much cheaper than the Quirk review indicated, given it would also deliver an arena and aquatic centre, Edwards said: “We believe our proposal has efficiencies and optimisations by clustering these facilities together.”

I am actually quite a fan of this plan.
I personally think it makes the most sense. All bar the fact that we would be displaced for a period which is obviously not ideal.

But I think that would be an amazing precinct and no green space being lost.
At this point I'd take whatever nice & new stadium we can get near the cbd.....as long as we're talking capacity 55k or so.

But I can't see how that design can work....where's Vulture & Stanley streets in that design? And I do think Quirk has a point that it can never be a tier 1 stadium surrounded by roads like that....all the other stadiums in the country are in parks.

A sub 10 minute walk to a Vic park stadium is as good as walking to the MCG in Victoria so I think old Newman is trying too hard arguing the transport link....and a Vic park stadium could be built so much cheaper than trying to rebuild the Gabba......I think letting those old dinosaurs speak at the inquiry when they have no idea what they're talking about is madness they have no idea of the costs & practicalities of the designs & are armchair commentators at best. As I understand it to build a 50k stadium on the Gabba site requires deep excavation work to cantilever the stands over the roads......$$$ & more $$$.....not to mention the displaced Lions & the additional time it would take to build.

All those arguing against Victoria Park citing loss of green space - right now maybe 10 people a day use it, given it is literally just a patch of green space! If you build useful amenities and venues for activities, people will actually use the space.

Regarding Gabba stadium + arena combo. Not sure there's enough space, unless we're talking re-routing Vulture and Stanley streets and some other demolishments. There was already doubts about fitting the stadium on the existing foot print, let alone an arena next door!

At this point I'd take whatever nice & new stadium we can get near the cbd.....as long as we're talking capacity 55k or so.

But I can't see how that design can work....where's Vulture & Stanley streets in that design? And I do think Quirk has a point that it can never be a tier 1 stadium surrounded by roads like that....all the other stadiums in the country are in parks.

A sub 10 minute walk to a Vic park stadium is as good as walking to the MCG in Victoria so I think old Newman is trying too hard arguing the transport link....and a Vic park stadium could be built so much cheaper than trying to rebuild the Gabba......I think letting those old dinosaurs speak at the inquiry when they have no idea what they're talking about is madness they have no idea of the costs & practicalities of the designs & are armchair commentators at best. As I understand it to build a 50k stadium on the Gabba site requires deep excavation work to cantilever the stands over the roads......$$$ & more $$$.....not to mention the displaced Lions & the additional time it would take to build.
With the IOC approving QSAC I really don’t think it matters if it is not a Teir 1 Stadium.
A stadium with a larger capacity and that meets current requirements for disability access would be the ideal scenario.
I do not like the idea of the Lions being without a permanent home for 4-5 years but I honestly believe the Gabba site is the right one.
I also like the idea of the swimming complex/Brisbane Arena being there as well.
As far as the footing needing to support a cantilevered stadium. There are other ways around that.

With the IOC approving QSAC I really don’t think it matters if it is not a Teir 1 Stadium.
Have they? I don't think I'd seen that. John Coates isn't the IOC on his own.

Miles would not have been going down that path if he didn’t think it would be approved.
You're granting him of degree of forethought I'm not sure he's earned.

Yes, Petrie/Boondall are patently ridiculous locations for a major stadium, it simply must be as close to the CBD as humanly possible, that is also a central point for travel for all Brisbane residents... Petrie from most of the southside of Brisbane is just too far.

Also I thought the Bold Brisbane plan would have ended up having more public land/green space than was proposed in the original Council park proposal... the Stadium would take up a small percentage of the total land available.

Anyone who is proposing those sites don't actually go to sporting events

Coates in the inquiry today said the IOC would not "tick off" (his exact words) any QSAC proposal "if the transport requirements were not satisfactory" and that the transport requirements were a matter for the QLD Government

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never understood this argument about a stadium increasing traffic around the hospital, when most people are to get there by public transport. It's not like the Ekka brings crowds to the area around the hospital several days a year or anything...

This woman speaking at the end of the Senate Enquiry claims that she wants any Olympic stadium legacy to benefit schoolkids rather than AFL or cricket, because they're not Olympic sports. Does this woman realise the structural problems the Gabba has and the need for a replacement? What's her plan for the Gabba once it hits its end of life? Does she consider that there are better ways to benefit schoolkids with $1.6 billion than building a nice new replacemt athletics track for their carnivals?

Coates in the inquiry today said the IOC would not "tick off" (his exact words) any QSAC proposal "if the transport requirements were not satisfactory" and that the transport requirements were a matter for the QLD Government
lol so happy to defer to those in charge when it’s convenient

This woman speaking at the end of the Senate Enquiry claims that she wants any Olympic stadium legacy to benefit schoolkids rather than AFL or cricket, because they're not Olympic sports. Does this woman realise the structural problems the Gabba has and the need for a replacement? What's her plan for the Gabba once it hits its end of life? Does she consider that there are better ways to benefit schoolkids with $1.6 billion than building a nice new replacemt athletics track for their carnivals?

School kids is also not an Olympic sport last time I checked.

12.17pm

‘No-brainer’: New stadium, arena and aquatic centre all for $3.4b​

By Cameron Atfield​

A new Olympic stadium, arena and aquatic centre could all be delivered at Victoria Park for a cost of $3.4 billion, Archipelago Architects founding director Peter Edwards has told the Senate inquiry into the Brisbane 2032 Games.
The Quirk review came up with a $3.4 billion price tag for a Victoria Park stadium alone, but Edwards said an arena and aquatic centre could be added at the same price.

Edwards said they came up with the Brisbane Bold vision after conversations with the state government following their involvement with the Commonwealth Games athletes’ village at Robina.
“I have never made the presentation and received anything but ‘this is a no-brainer’,” he said.
While Brisbane Bold initially included an athletes’ village, which has since been relocated to Hamilton, Edwards said engineering company Arcadis had costed the three sporting facilities at Victoria Park at $3.4 billion.
That cost included the “connecting tissue” over railway lines and the Inner-City Bypass, Edwards said.
Asked why it appeared to be so much cheaper than the Quirk review indicated, given it would also deliver an arena and aquatic centre, Edwards said: “We believe our proposal has efficiencies and optimisations by clustering these facilities together.”
Thanks for sharing. No wonder Peter has received 100% feedback that it's a no-brainer... That's EXACTLY what it is.

🤦🤦🤦

A stadium with a larger capacity and that meets current requirements for disability access would be the ideal scenario.
I do not like the idea of the Lions being without a permanent home for 4-5 years but I honestly believe the Gabba site is the right one.
I also like the idea of the swimming complex/Brisbane Arena being there as well.
As far as the footing needing to support a cantilevered stadium. There are other ways around that.
I can’t see how it could be acceptable to spend 3b+ on a Gabba rebuild & not end up with a tier 1 stadium….when for the same $$ at Vic park we do?

A tier 1 stadium is going to rake in an awful lot more major events & $$ over 50 years than a tier 2 can….and with the added benefits of no Lions disruption.

I was initially 100% pro Gabba rebuild when Anastasia announced it….but Quirks reasonings seem solid & convinced me Vic park is the best long term proposition. It would be a shame for all the small businesses surrounding the Gabba but this is about the city’s next 50 years.

Who knows what vested interests the old mayors have they could own apartments overlooking the Gabba etc etc but it makes no sense to have all these random people from yesteryear having input who don’t know the design details or costings let alone have any vision for the city’s future.

Brisbane was considered by many as a large country town back in the days they were in power so they are out of their depth getting involved - Bris is now the fastest growing city in Australia with such a promising future, the largest state budget surplus in the history of Australia & an opportunity to really make some fantastic & prosperous long term decisions to put our city on the map & secure its long term future.

Schrinner should be the one having input!

I can’t see how it could be acceptable to spend 3b+ on a Gabba rebuild & not end up with a tier 1 stadium….when for the same $$ at Vic park we do?

A tier 1 stadium is going to rake in an awful lot more major events & $$ over 50 years than a tier 2 can….and with the added benefits of no Lions disruption.

I was initially 100% pro Gabba rebuild when Anastasia announced it….but Quirks reasonings seem solid & convinced me Vic park is the best long term proposition. It would be a shame for all the small businesses surrounding the Gabba but this is about the city’s next 50 years.

Who knows what vested interests the old mayors have they could own apartments overlooking the Gabba etc etc but it makes no sense to have all these random people from yesteryear having input who don’t know the design details or costings let alone have any vision for the city’s future.

Brisbane was considered by many as a large country town back in the days they were in power so they are out of their depth getting involved - Bris is now the fastest growing city in Australia with such a promising future, the largest state budget surplus in the history of Australia & an opportunity to really make some fantastic & prosperous long term decisions to put our city on the map & secure its long term future.

Schrinner should be the one having input!
I am not sold on the VIC Park option.
I would get right behind it if it was actually happening but at the moment it is just a pipe dream.
And with the current Government I cant see anything of substance happening with any oval stadium.

This bull shite about money going to Health/Housing instead of a new Stadium is such a dog whistle, the sad thing is the Public will fall for it unless as Hollow Knight said the MSM point out the stupidity of that reasoning.

I would rather we didn't hold the Olympics than go with the Steven Miles insanity option, just can the whole thing.

I engaged with Mark Bailey (minister for something or other) on Twitter about this. Of course the first and obvious point is that the government has actually opted for a more expensive option by plumping for QSAC. But even if the QSAC proposal WAS cheaper, their words ring so hollow. Like, why should we think the future should be any different if this is their proven and demonstrated track record? 👇

And in fact I was wrong... Labor have been in office for NINE years, not eight.

I haven't checked, but someone mentioned that the same was said about the Comm Games on GC, and those are now extremely expensive apartments to rent, not the touted affordable housing it was supposed to be

While this may be true, and it may be equally true for any athletes village in Brisbane later converted to housing, it still adds to the aggregate housing supply, which will lower rental costs overall. Supply and demand.

Jarrod Bleijie had a swipe at Miles in that Twitter/X exchange so I took aim at him too.

Ultimately the LNP is where equal focus needs to be put because it's pretty clear they will be the ones delivering this infrastructure.

Pressure Miles ad nauseum but don't forget the spineless opposition.

I climbed into this goose as well

It'd be nice if we could hold Gather Round in the future. No chance at the moment with the infrastructure we have in place. It'd be some nice leverage for the AFL to use if it is a huge economic success for SA.

Couple of thoughts on this:

1. Based on the current Gather Round arrangements, if we can get a new stadium, we should aim to host Gather Round between say 2029 and 2032, when we have a completed new stadium at Victoria Park and the Gabba is still in action. The entire round could be held at these 2 venues.
  2. Based on the AFL's proposal to have 3 gather rounds each season once Tassie enters the comp, this would imply each of these rounds would have 6 (x2) or 7 (x1) games. Thus, each of these rounds could be held at a single stadium. Thursday night, Friday night, Saturday double/triple header, Sunday double header.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back