2nds EP withdraw from agreement with West Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Open your eyes.

A drive from Cockburn to Rushton Park or Joondalup, aint much different in drive time. There are lots of people living in our southern & northern corridors.

The Eagles alliance with the Royals has been crumbling for a long time, the Royals were in reverse gear along time ago, …………….. after they realised they couldn't snag a premiership.

The alliance for Freo with Peel is going ok, it is very positive for the Peel Region.
Young guys earning big dollars don't want to live in Baldivis.

Furthermore I'm not interested in creating positives for the Peel region. I want a flag.

Spreading between Cockburn and Mandurah isnt ideal when you consider WCE will likely centralise everything at their new facility.

Are you one of those people who commutes 90 minutes each way?

Furthermore I'm not interested in creating positives for the Peel region. I want a flag.

Spreading between Cockburn and Mandurah isnt ideal when you consider WCE will likely centralise everything at their new facility.

The point I was making was that Joondalup & Mandurah are pretty eqi distance from mid Perth. So to play at WAFL level they will have to travel, doesn't matter what team they play for. As they don't train much with Peel ( once a week ? ), the travel is minimal. Car pool with team mates ?. They may live in Bicton, Coogee or South Perth, but they will still have to travel for WAFL, until they make the top grade and only need to travel to Burswood every second week, and the airport the other week.

As for commuting, there is no way you would catch me doing a 90 minute commute on the "slow way".

The Peel experiment is going ok, why change it ?. Having a stand alone Reserves team sounds nice, warm & fuzzy, but there are massive problems with getting the team working well. eg. top up players.

Boo frickin hoo. It's like 40 minutes from Cockburn. How is it any different to going out to Midland to play Swans or Joondalup to play West Perth?

how about at least a cheeky "peel dockers" re branding with new chevron jumpers? could even keep the teal colour.

That would look sexy AF

I do like the tri-colour - would love Freo to adopt it as an alternative/training top with purple all round and a white strip down the middle ala East Freo and our 2007(?) heritage strip - just not as wide with the white

I wonder how the concept of a stand alone team fits in to the soft cap on football dept spend. It is a question for the teams in other states as well. Presumably at the moment some spend at Peel goes thru Peel's books rather than the Dockers. Peel have members, a bar etc etc and get income to spend on the Peel listed players, the ground rental etc. All of that spend would go thru the Eagles books.

The point I was making was that Joondalup & Mandurah are pretty eqi distance from mid Perth.

They really aren't. Joondalup is much closer. 24k from Joondalup to Perth, vs 75 km from Mandurah to Perth. And a 25 minute commute vs a 70 minute commute.

Is it cynical of me to suggest I can predict how this plays out?

Brett Raponi/John Townsend/et al: All Eagles players should be divided up between the WAFL clubs!
Darth Trevor: That's not going to happen. We want a standalone team.
Brett Raponi/John Townsend/et al: You can't have a standalone team, it would destroy the credibility of the competition!
Darth Trevor: Fine, I'll just leave this big bag of money on the table for whichever one of you wants to align next.
Brett Raponi/John Townsend/et al: HAHA! Nice try! We're a united front!
Perth (quietly in the corner): Actually, we'd like some of your money.
*Three years later*
Perth: You're right - none of them could give a shit if they're not getting regular eagles games, we're done.

They really aren't. Joondalup is much closer. 24k from Joondalup to Perth, vs 75 km from Mandurah to Perth. And a 25 minute commute vs a 70 minute commute.

What are the distances from Cockburn?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would they participate in finals? If they follow the 12 AFL player max rule it will be hard for them to fill a team without a reserves team to raid.
Go look at the SANFL. That was a 9 team comp. With the reserves came in, it is now to 10 sides. Port Power took over the Port Adelaide Magpies. Once that happened, Port Adelaide Magpies recruiting zones were stripped and given to Woodville West Torrens. With 43 players in your typical AFL squad, 22 play for the Port Power team, 21 play for the Magpies. If Injuries or Suspensions Happen, Port Power had to fill up their numbers by having some Aboriginal Academy players and Amateur top up players.

Crows Actually formed their side from scratch. Just like Port Adelaide Power, They have 43 AFL players. 22 crows players play in the seniors, 21 play in the SANFL. If injuries occur, they were given 10-12 top up players if any crows players were injured or suspended. With the crows current injury crisis, they had to get 2 players from the amateur leagues just to field 21 players in the SANFL last week.

I don't know how the WAFL is run. But I assume its similar to the SANFL. Each SANFL club except for the Port and Crows reserves would have 60-70 players each. Each SANFL club would have a seniors side, a reserves side and an under 18s side.

Open your eyes.

A drive from Cockburn to Rushton Park or Joondalup, aint much different in drive time. There are lots of people living in our southern & northern corridors.

The Eagles alliance with the Royals has been crumbling for a long time, the Royals were in reverse gear along time ago, …………….. after they realised they couldn't snag a premiership.

The alliance for Freo with Peel is going ok, it is very positive for the Peel Region.
Before Freo Dockers had the deal With Peel, I was thinking we could of taken over South Freo as Freo were training at Fremantle oval From 1995-2017.

Quite like the Peel alignment.

I wonder if it serves our players better having a competitive side each week and playing finals rather than whatever neutered team will be assembled as a standalone.
I don't mind the Peel Alignment either. Yes Peel won the 2016 flag with 18 dockers players, then won the 2017 flag with 15 out of 22 peel players that were dockers players including the Legendary Zac Dawson, things have been done in balance and moderation.

I don't mind the current set up. playing 22 peel players each week and 14 of them dockers players. That's fine. Hell, there could be injuries and There might be only 10 dockers players lining up or peel. I don't mind that as it makes sure that Peel can produce AFL players that can go to the draft like Aaron Naughton did last year to the western Bulldogs.

Unlike the Port Powers take over of the Port Magpies as 19 Power listed players played in Last years SANFL grand final between Port and Sturt.

Is there really anything about the Peel Alignment that would be significantly improved with a standalone reserves side?

Shepherd seems fully on board with our development goals, young brigade seem to be bonding and developing quite well.
I can't think of any Roger Kerr/Casey Sibosado-type situations that have popped up since it began?

Think we should avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Is there really anything about the Peel Alignment that would be significantly improved with a standalone reserves side?

Shepherd seems fully on board with our development goals, young brigade seem to be bonding and developing quite well.
I can't think of any Roger Kerr/Casey Sibosado-type situations that have popped up since it began?

Think we should avoid throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

The only thing I can think of is that there will be more players playing league instead of reserves.

Mundy lives in Mundijong IIRC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back