EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty sure this has happened at Pacco this year. Coach been talking to parents and players at the various development squads.
Well if true it’s a tactic other clubs started so why be left standing when others become stronger due to these kind of tactics that no afl or league officials have the courage to stop as it’s been happening for years by a certain club in particular..

You’re not sure?…

Vavra, Jarrad, McKernan, Jones, 3 Coburg boys, Will Jury, Matt Foley, BnF Brock there’s 10 off the top of my head, then add to that Denning, Galucci, Mighell etc went off injured and they ended up with no one that had ever played ruck before up against an afl listed ruck. A lot of quality talent missing
Who is the AFL listed ruckman you mention??

Plus you do realise that Pacco also had a few good ones missing but not 12 though 😄. It happens at all clubs so stop making excuses. Vavra going OS so will miss majority of the season. Not even sure who some of these blokes are you mention.
Regardless heard it was a good standard game between 2 good sides.

Where did I say they went over 46 points? Your delusional. I said they have 46 points so can do what they like within that. However if any club goes over the league don’t punish them in the past.
You are incredible and shifting he narrative to suit yourself.

Yes they have 46 points, yes you can use the 46 points however you like.

All i challenged and will continue to challenge is your incorrect statement of
Pacco development of there young group is the key to any surge upwards. They have put time into the juniors and it’s now starting to show. Good on them and probably a model a club like EK need to look at.

Pacco development of there young group is the key to any surge upwards. They have put time into the juniors and it’s now starting to show. Good on them and probably a model a club like EK need to look at.
Pacco juniors are in great shape, this is what impressed Leigh, and why he made that statement... having played 4-5 U/18s on Saturday in seniors shows a bit of depth coming through....

Sounds like poaching them from other clubs at 15 is paying off !!
Oh my here we go. Didn’t a club not have an age group and some had to go elsewhere? Few circumstances involved but hey the fact is they are now playing senior premier footy. Sounds like a good choice..

Ok who played more 18s and 18-19 year olds on Saturday, PV or SM?? That’s a good question for you..
What if it was Pacco? Then I see that as a strong club development push more so than having less points and more 1 pointers. It would seem to me that Pacco are promoting the kids to senior footy. Surely even you would agree that great step moving forward.
Even Keilor don’t promote many 17-18-19 year olds into senior footy!! More reserve footy.

Oh my read my posts and do your research.. You criticise when they recruit and now you criticise for playing young kids into senior side. 😩
Point was how they got them, not that Tudor is playing them. But can hardly begrudge Pacco from doing it when it’s common practice of the big 3 clubs. The issue and longevity of clubs needs to be addressed by governing bodies and rules put in place, whether it’s capping junior teams or adjusting the points system so cannot reach one point unless you a club junior. No easy answers but if you wanna find the CEO on a Saturday look no further than an Abers, Mores and Keilor! The pandering to the big clubs is sickening. We more likely lose/merge clubs before major change prevents.
Marby Park also went on a recruiting drive for under 16’s this season, got some very talented kids from other clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I prefer the DP discussions, but my 2 cents on this kids part.

Don't all clubs have the ability to pick up the phone and sell their vision to young kids to come to their club and if the parents/kids like what they hear they move or stay with their mates (depend on their priorities, mates or football development).

And at the end of the day a gun kid playing in a DIV 1 or 2 team, would love to test themselves against better opposition, so for their development would be so much better. At the end of the day it's about the kids and their dream to play AFL football and if that means better exposure to AFL/VFL level coaches and recruiters, would you not want them to have that?

For example my son played in a team that was in a lower level and they were dominating their competition, winning by big margins. Hid development however wasn't being testing or challenged, he received a call from a higher level club and decided to leave his mates to be exposed to better coaches and opposition to improve his own game. I would think everyone would want to give that opportunity to their kids.

Like to point out he didn't go to one of the top 3 +1...lol

Last edited:
The issue is how to effects clubs in lower divisions already struggling. How does a gun 15 year old at Hadfield or Burnside etc stay when a massive premier club comes knocking with contacts in pathways or promises of stuff?

It just keeps div 2 clubs in div 2 forever.
I've said it for ages. The Past 10-15 years EDFL has become Elitist. Now that may just be a word to some, but the Meaning of the word and Reality is - There are 3 Clubs(plus Pacco) who have put themselves in a position of Power and have created a system where the best junior players play for them instead of staying at their home clubs, then further creating a situation where they continually become stronger while all other clubs become weaker. This is Local Footy FFS , it is a f*cking disgrace...
The only way for other clubs to compete is to spend massive amounts of $$$'s(see Pacco, EK, Deer Park)... Again I stipulate - this is Local Footy FFS.. Salary Cap bought in the even things up - well that is a joke , we all know even the weaker clubs spend over the Salary Cap, so how can you sustain success - by keeping home growns , but guess what , the 3 + 1 Big Clubs have already taken all the good players from your club when they were 13-16yo... Footy Vic, EDFL , if you really want to even up the competition, children under 16yo of age unable to play out-side 6km of their home address(unless father/son applies).

Can’t just blame the clubs for this.. It’s also the actual kids wanting to play for successful clubs.
And it’s been happening forever..
My own son played under 10s right thru to 16s with Marby, who’s juniors pre GA were an absolute basket case.. struggling to even field 14s-16s sides (who’d believe that nowadays?)
In the end he traded to AH where many of his mates played plus their juniors at the time were flying high!
Success plus mates are a huge influence on junior comp…

I've said it for ages. The Past 10-15 years EDFL has become Elitist. Now that may just be a word to some, but the Meaning of the word and Reality is - There are 3 Clubs(plus Pacco) who have put themselves in a position of Power and have created a system where the best junior players play for them instead of staying at their home clubs, then further creating a situation where they continually become stronger while all other clubs become weaker. This is Local Footy FFS , it is a f*cking disgrace...
The only way for other clubs to compete is to spend massive amounts of $$$'s(see Pacco, EK, Deer Park)... Again I stipulate - this is Local Footy FFS.. Salary Cap bought in the even things up - well that is a joke , we all know even the weaker clubs spend over the Salary Cap, so how can you sustain success - by keeping home growns , but guess what , the 3 + 1 Big Clubs have already taken all the good players from your club when they were 13-16yo... Footy Vic, EDFL , if you really want to even up the competition, children under 16yo of age unable to play out-side 6km of their home address(unless father/son applies).
Spot on I think most players (junior) should play in their own postcodes. Also teach them loyalty. Most clubs are fine, its the parents who all think their kids will make AFL that are the problem. Calder Cannons and Jets dont help either

Can’t just blame the clubs for this.. It’s also the actual kids wanting to play for successful clubs.
And it’s been happening forever..
My own son played under 10s right thru to 16s with Marby, who’s juniors pre GA were an absolute basket case.. struggling to even field 14s-16s sides (who’d believe that nowadays?)
In the end he traded to AH where many of his mates played plus their juniors at the time were flying high!
Success plus mates are a huge influence on junior comp…
Of course - Kids want to win, parents want their kids names up in lights & clubs want to hoard talent.
The problem is that it turns junior footy which should be about fitness & trying to get a kick with your mates into a clash of the haves v have nots which further feeds into the existing inbalance, where kids who want to take their footy further, fear they won't get noticed getting flogged by one of the big clubs so end up joining them.
IMO it's a crook system & only really serves to benefit the clubs

Spot on I think most players (junior) should play in their own postcodes. Also teach them loyalty. Most clubs are fine, its the parents who all think their kids will make AFL that are the problem. Calder Cannons and Jets dont help either
agree... parents want their kids to play div 1 in juniors and or in premier when they get a bit older.... no such thing as a one club player these days.... sucks

Parents thinking their kids will make it is totally irrelevant to this argument, the club who they go to won't take them if they're are not any good!!!

Of course - Kids want to win, parents want their kids names up in lights & clubs want to hoard talent.
The problem is that it turns junior footy which should be about fitness & trying to get a kick with your mates into a clash of the haves v have nots which further feeds into the existing inbalance, where kids who want to take their footy further, fear they won't get noticed getting flogged by one of the big clubs so end up joining them.
IMO it's a crook system & only really serves to benefit the clubs
Wasn’t “parents” wanting their kids name up in lights in our case mate.. Been staunch Marby since Imps days (and still am)
My young bloke played just on 100games there and was sick to death of 20 goal floggings week in week out for practically his entire junior career.. becomes pretty disheartening!
Can’t blame him for wanting greener pastures.
Do agree postcodes would have some impact on this, although as with zoned schools, pretty easy ways around this with kid suddenly living at aunties/grandmas who reside in that zone..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back