EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Not so sure about that. Someone has to play in the 2nd side.
The general trend of these posts, is that premier clubs are reaching down and contacting players to come and play for them, to do this and pick out a player they need to have some talent.

Wasn’t “parents” wanting their kids name up in lights in our case mate.. Been staunch Marby since Imps days (and still am)
My young bloke played just on 100games there and was sick to death of 20 goal floggings week in week out for practically his entire junior career.. becomes pretty disheartening!
Can’t blame him for wanting greener pastures.
Do agree postcodes would have some impact on this, although as with zoned schools, pretty easy ways around this with kid suddenly living at aunties/grandmas who reside in that zone..
Sorry, I wasn't speaking to your/your sons experience mate. You just hear quite regularly of parents being a driving force behind kids playing at particular clubs.

Deer park supporters disappeared quicker than toilet paper during lockdown!

Anyhow, bigfootys greatest and most controversial vigilante is back for another week of previews in a watered down round to say the least. Note: I will be watching abers vs Avondale on ANZAC after the dawn services and ceremonies are concluded as well as I will be welcomed to John McLeod Reserve for the first time in my 98 year history to watch Terrific Tudor and his combatants take on a desperate Deer Park side struggling to find their feet at the top flight.

1. Abers to flex their muscles with opponents watching on in their standalone game vs Avondale.
2. Airport west to stanch victory by under a goal in a boilover against the well drilled and well coached Stars.
3. Greenvale to show no mercy over a helpless East Keilor. Please note that despite being down by 30+ points in the final quarter, I am going overs @ 3.5 social media posts by EK celebrating junk time goals.
4. Tudor has turned this club into a contender if it wasn’t already. They have a September hoodoo at recent times but despite that they’ll be marching onwards against a disappointing Deer Park side who cannot get the pace of Premier. Deer Park needs Daw before things get worse.

The junior clubs debacle is an interesting one. Clubs got to have a plan at the lower divisions to show that they have contacts to higher pathways that the premier clubs do. I’m not saying that’s right and ethical but you have to fight fire with fire. Strathmore, Keilor and Pascoe Vale all have their 19-23 year olds that have been poached from lower division teams.

Personally their needs to be more emphasizes on the points system as well as rewarding loyalty through junior football.

Sorry, I wasn't speaking to your/your sons experience mate. You just hear quite regularly of parents being a driving force behind kids playing at particular clubs.
All good… and yes absolutely spot on re: parents pushing kids towards superstardom!
Only got to see abusive parent carry on at some under age games.. Disgraceful.. But that’s another topic eh?

I've said it for ages. The Past 10-15 years EDFL has become Elitist. Now that may just be a word to some, but the Meaning of the word and Reality is - There are 3 Clubs(plus Pacco) who have put themselves in a position of Power and have created a system where the best junior players play for them instead of staying at their home clubs, then further creating a situation where they continually become stronger while all other clubs become weaker. This is Local Footy FFS , it is a f*cking disgrace...
The only way for other clubs to compete is to spend massive amounts of $$$'s(see Pacco, EK, Deer Park)... Again I stipulate - this is Local Footy FFS.. Salary Cap bought in the even things up - well that is a joke , we all know even the weaker clubs spend over the Salary Cap, so how can you sustain success - by keeping home growns , but guess what , the 3 + 1 Big Clubs have already taken all the good players from your club when they were 13-16yo... Footy Vic, EDFL , if you really want to even up the competition, children under 16yo of age unable to play out-side 6km of their home address(unless father/son applies).
bangfrom50 please leave this forum, you make too much sense :laughing:

All good… and yes absolutely spot on re: parents pushing kids towards superstardom!
Only got to see abusive parent carry on at some under age games.. Disgraceful.. But that’s another topic eh?
That's a totally different topic , let's get this fixed otherwise it will never change and the Strong get Stronger and the Weak get Weaker.
Don't get me wrong , I'm not having a crack and the Big 3 + Pacco. In regards to poaching kids or letting them in their clubs they have played within the "rules" , maybe not ethical or moral , but within the Rules they will tell you. Andrew Johnson is a good and reasonable bloke, I will be astounded if he is not working on something to change the current system.

True about Andrew Johnson… Great bloke.. Thought he’d be a breath of fresh air and shakeup the past “sitting on their hands” stagnant commission? Not to be as yet though

I know a young player, in Cannons squad, who doesn't play for one of the "big clubs" in fact his team is always belted by the big clubs.

He wanted to change clubs, parents said no, you play for this club.

Now that's loyalty, but it's few and far between

I've said it for ages. The Past 10-15 years EDFL has become Elitist. Now that may just be a word to some, but the Meaning of the word and Reality is - There are 3 Clubs(plus Pacco) who have put themselves in a position of Power and have created a system where the best junior players play for them instead of staying at their home clubs, then further creating a situation where they continually become stronger while all other clubs become weaker. This is Local Footy FFS , it is a f*cking disgrace...
The only way for other clubs to compete is to spend massive amounts of $$$'s(see Pacco, EK, Deer Park)... Again I stipulate - this is Local Footy FFS.. Salary Cap bought in the even things up - well that is a joke , we all know even the weaker clubs spend over the Salary Cap, so how can you sustain success - by keeping home growns , but guess what , the 3 + 1 Big Clubs have already taken all the good players from your club when they were 13-16yo... Footy Vic, EDFL , if you really want to even up the competition, children under 16yo of age unable to play out-side 6km of their home address(unless father/son applies).

Not sure how your 6km rule would work. Most would have multiple options within that 6km radius.

I know a young player, in Cannons squad, who doesn't play for one of the "big clubs" in fact his team is always belted by the big clubs.

He wanted to change clubs, parents said no, you play for this club.

Now that's loyalty, but it's few and far between

That's fantastic, but I suspect it's the exception. But it's a shame it's come to that, and you can't even blame the kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a totally different topic , let's get this fixed otherwise it will never change and the Strong get Stronger and the Weak get Weaker.
Don't get me wrong , I'm not having a crack and the Big 3 + Pacco. In regards to poaching kids or letting them in their clubs they have played within the "rules" , maybe not ethical or moral , but within the Rules they will tell you. Andrew Johnson is a good and reasonable bloke, I will be astounded if he is not working on something to change the current system.
Bang, unfortunately they have let some of the bigger clubs (3) do it for a long time and the league turned a blind eye even after complaints from other clubs. So now I guess others have to follow as well as develop from within
A lot of kids also have been burnt from these big 3 clubs once they come out of juniors.

Not sure if the answers but do know the points system is a big joke and was put in to actually support the bigger clubs in this state and not assist the lower end clubs. That’s a fact!!
Salary cap is something to at least maybe try and get clubs to pull back spending. But yeah I understand some do go over!! Can’t police it..

One club applied to field three u18 sides this year. Were told they could but under certain circumstances it wouldn’t be allowed, hence it didn’t happen. Let’s give the new hierarchy some time, change won’t happen in a hurry.

Were all good , thanks for asking. You as a WC supporter should know more than anyone else Premierships aren't won in Round 1 to 18. :)
Does WC stand for West Coburg who play well all year but turn to mash potato come grand final day even when they bring in "round arm ronnie can't get a touch so I'try and knock them out and can't even do that"

Does WC stand for West Coburg who play well all year but turn to mash potato come grand final day even when they bring in "round arm ronnie can't get a touch so I'try and knock them out and can't even do that"
Bragging about a B grade flag in here won’t do ya much good LongBlow, carries about the same weight as 7 WRFL flags

Bang, unfortunately they have let some of the bigger clubs (3) do it for a long time and the league turned a blind eye even after complaints from other clubs. So now I guess others have to follow as well as develop from within
A lot of kids also have been burnt from these big 3 clubs once they come out of juniors.

Not sure if the answers but do know the points system is a big joke and was put in to actually support the bigger clubs in this state and not assist the lower end clubs. That’s a fact!!
Salary cap is something to at least maybe try and get clubs to pull back spending. But yeah I understand some do go over!! Can’t police it..
I see value to the points system but see the salary cap as a waste of time given that it's blatantly flaunted with Torquay, Dimboola and Wangaratta being the only clubs wearing significant penalties for breaches.
There's been a clear decline in recruiting from Vermont, Heidelberg, Abers, Greenvale, Strathmores, etc since its implementation so the points system is seemingly working in metro footy.
It's the poaching/hoarding of junior talent that is problematic & it really doesn't matter which club does it, it's all pretty crook, especially given how few are ending up at AFL/VFL level so only serves to provide a pipeline of 1 point players to the senior club with the rest walking away.

I see value to the points system but see the salary cap as a waste of time given that it's blatantly flaunted with Torquay, Dimboola and Wangaratta being the only clubs wearing significant penalties for breaches.
There's been a clear decline in recruiting from Vermont, Heidelberg, Abers, Greenvale, Strathmores, etc since its implementation so the points system is seemingly working in metro footy.
It's the poaching/hoarding of junior talent that is problematic & it really doesn't matter which club does it, it's all pretty crook, especially given how few are ending up at AFL/VFL level so only serves to provide a pipeline of 1 point players to the senior club with the rest walking away.
That’s my point that the point system was purely bought in to support the stronger bigger clubs for the future. I’m almost certain some people at the bigger clubs were corrupting the people making the decision. Why do I say this? These big clubs ( some you mentioned above) were dominating competitions on the back of outbidding other clubs ( by offering 3x a players market value and flaunting the salary cap, in which the fines were pittance) but then other clubs started fighting back and bang out comes a points system to stop other clubs becoming stronger through competition in the player market. Yes these clubs you mentioned have pulled back a bit on spending but it’s not due to the points system!! It’s due to the $$ we’re drying up and other clubs were fighting back..Pure corruption at its finest..
They fu@@@@ competitions and raped other clubs purely on $$$$ and BS promises. Yes they were offering kids as young as 14 cash incentives to switch clubs.
There you have the truth and these so called bigger clubs didn’t like the competition fighting back so they changed the rules..

Goodnight and I’m going to take a rest from big footy as sick of these clubs whinging now others are taking the fight to them…👊👊👊

Just jumping in here with a point (and I don’t disagree)but the bigger clubs junior programs are run very well, even though some kids would never play on Clifton Park or Lebanon reserve. Parents are attracted for this reason also and not only for little Johnny to have the best shot at playing AFL. They continue to find numerous volunteers which leads to less burnout that does affect other clubs

That’s my point that the point system was purely bought in to support the stronger bigger clubs for the future. I’m almost certain some people at the bigger clubs were corrupting the people making the decision. Why do I say this? These big clubs ( some you mentioned above) were dominating competitions on the back of outbidding other clubs ( by offering 3x a players market value and flaunting the salary cap, in which the fines were pittance) but then other clubs started fighting back and bang out comes a points system to stop other clubs becoming stronger through competition in the player market. Yes these clubs you mentioned have pulled back a bit on spending but it’s not due to the points system!! It’s due to the $$ we’re drying up and other clubs were fighting back..Pure corruption at its finest..
They fu@@@@ competitions and raped other clubs purely on $$$$ and BS promises. Yes they were offering kids as young as 14 cash incentives to switch clubs.
There you have the truth and these so called bigger clubs didn’t like the competition fighting back so they changed the rules..

Goodnight and I’m going to take a rest from big footy as sick of these clubs whinging now others are taking the fight to them…👊👊👊
That's fine, mate.
I just disagree that it was brought in to benefit them as I've seen the knock on effect elsewhere in the state with more handy players ending up at district clubs rather than simply forming metro superteams.
Of those named, Greenvale, Vermont & arguably Abers have taken a step backward. (Perhaps you're right re: $ drying up. tbh I wouldn't know)
Clubs like Deer Park, East Keilor & Pacco have still been aggressive on the recruitment front it's just a bit more limited in terms of volume, the incentive is there to blend some of their juniors into the mix
I personally don't see that as a bad thing as I am a firm believer in there needing to be a viable pathway for a local kid to play for their senior side.

Just jumping in here with a point (and I don’t disagree)but the bigger clubs junior programs are run very well, even though some kids would never play on Clifton Park or Lebanon reserve. Parents are attracted for this reason also and not only for little Johnny to have the best shot at playing AFL. They continue to find numerous volunteers which leads to less burnout that does affect other clubs
No doubt & for clarities sake, I wasn't seeking to pot any particular club.
Some of those noted have become reasonably slick, well-resourced outfits so I can understand the appeal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back