List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yer I watched some of it, very very scrappy as you would expect.

One thing I took out of it was that IMO 90%+ of the players on display will never make it as best 22 AFL players and these are the best players in their age groups. I have watched a lot of junior club footy and the number of players that stood out as extremely good was minute, Geesu was a recent one and I wouldn't put the house on even him just yet.
You could probably make that same argument for the national draft as well.
I found something that had statistics to show that as of the end of the 2017 season, about 17% of players who play an AFL game go on to play 100 games, which I think would kind of be the minimum amount of games to say that you have made it as a best 22 player. That doesn't include players that were on lists that didn't play a game. Out of each draft 11% will never play an AFL game, lets call is 6, leaving 54 players. You end up with 9 players in each draft who will play 100 games. 5 will play 150 games.
Statistically this means a club will only draft a 100-game player once every 2 years if my maths is correct.

100 gamers we drafted in recently
2015 - Hipwood, Keys
2016 - Bez & Clugg
2017 - Rayner, Bailey, Starce and Payne will make 100
2018 - Potentially Answerth if form continues.
2019 - Kiddy Coleman will play 100
2021 - Willmot will play 100

in 6 drafts statistically we should have 3 x 100 gamers but we have 10 who have played 100 games or are almost guaranteed to go on and play 100. Probably shows how often our recruiters have gotten it right.

It's been apparent for a while now the athletic profile of our best 22 and extended list has been somewhat lacking. The way Darcy Jones and Finn Callaghan just tore around last night was eye catching...The running power possessed by other teams really has shown us up when we fail to get the game on our terms.

Hoping the drafting team can start to address the lack of dynamic athletic ability on the list, not sure Levi Ashcroft/Sam Marshall assist in that area.

It's been apparent for a while now the athletic profile of our best 22 and extended list has been somewhat lacking. The way Darcy Jones and Finn Callaghan just tore around last night was eye catching...The running power possessed by other teams really has shown us up when we fail to get the game on our terms.

Hoping the drafting team can start to address the lack of dynamic athletic ability on the list, not sure Levi Ashcroft/Sam Marshall assist in that area.
From the little I have seen no they don't possess line breaking run and gun traits.

We do have Bailey, McKenna, Wilmot and Kiddy. Fletcher and Berry while not lightning will run hard as well while not lightning quick

I think both Ashcroft while not lightning quick will attempt overlap run and forward handballs

Question is, is it worth squeezing Reville into the team? Can he play Ah Chees role, who looks super slow this season or do we put him in for McCarthy? Or go small in the forward line

Ah Chee definitely looks like he has bulked up this year - which is weird for a guy that mostly plays wider in the wing relief role (or moved to cover a bunch of holes as needed). Definitely seems slower than in the past (but been hard to tell in only seeing one live game so far)

Ah Chee definitely looks like he has bulked up this year - which is weird for a guy that mostly plays wider in the wing relief role (or moved to cover a bunch of holes as needed). Definitely seems slower than in the past (but been hard to tell in only seeing one live game so far)

If he wasn’t injured he deserves to be dropped. Just isn’t contributing

We should definitely go with a small forward line, the three talks aren’t working and they haven’t since McStay left. We need crumbers because our talks don’t mark and don’t kick straight anyway.

The problem with only playing 1 ruck and 2 key forwards are we become very short when one of them is on the bench and it doesn’t actually help us move the ball quicker to give our small forwards the space they need inside 50 to get dangerous.

Really think we need to get the midfield functioning first (like last year) before we can make changes to the forwardline

If he wasn’t injured he deserves to be dropped. Just isn’t contributing
Well it would make sense to drop Cal given he is one of those on the permitted drop list. I mean it’s not like half the team don’t regularly contribute; we know the names that will never get dropped. Sadly Cal isn’t on that list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with only playing 1 ruck and 2 key forwards are we become very short when one of them is on the bench and it doesn’t actually help us move the ball quicker to give our small forwards the space they need inside 50 to get dangerous.

Really think we need to get the midfield functioning first (like last year) before we can make changes to the forwardline
Any reason though why Cam couldn’t play full forward like Ossie did at 182cm?

have you seen our f50 entries this year.....?
And unfortunately that’s 100% the issue. Watch any old Hawthorn footage and the service Dunstall got was extraordinary. Sure he has to convert but his leading patterns and then the service was sublime. I guess you just don’t see it as much nowadays although I recall in 09 Richy used to bullet pass into Brownys chest.

And unfortunately that’s 100% the issue. Watch any old Hawthorn footage and the service Dunstall got was extraordinary. Sure he has to convert but his leading patterns and then the service was sublime. I guess you just don’t see it as much nowadays although I recall in 09 Richy used to bullet pass into Brownys chest.

Okay come on Dunstall was extraordinary and an all time great but the game has changed and he spent most of the game with only 4-6 players in the forward fifty playing one on one. Nowadays to get an open leading mark like that you need to do a lot more right or rely on the opposition defence collapsing.

Key forwards today rely so much more on contested marking which is why we see Daniher and Hipwood struggle in games at times.

then im not sure what rayner playing full forward does to solve the issue

if anything will exacerbate it by having one of our better ball users playing out of the goal square

Ashcroft leading possession getter with 15 in the academy game at half time. Doesn't do anything particularly special but he's like his brother in that he's clever and knows how to stay involved and find the ball regularly. Also looks to be taking the lead and organising at stoppages which is a great sign too. He's been going up against Sanders at times and it's been even.

Marshall playing off half back and has shown good signs in that position. Another who just works hard and knows how to find the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back