List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Elixuh, Dalions, briztoon, it just feels like this is being massively over-complicated.

To use the earlier example, if Levi gets plucked out as pick 1, we use our pick 18 to take him.

That's it, done, end of story.

Then we still have our 2nd round pick to use later on. If we know Marshall or whoever is gonna be taken at say 15, and we have pick 36, we know we need to be able to trade up a few spots to get him. Maybe we bundle our 36 and 54 for, say, 31. Or use a future 2nd/3rd or whatever.

Either way, there's our discount right there: the fact we're able to get the 1st and 15th rated kids in the country for picks 18 and 31.

No points system required.

I just don't see why it needs to be any more complicated than that.
If all we had to do was match with our next pick, that would be fantastic and back to the old days, but that is not going to happen.
It will be more complicated than that.
Even if we can match pick 1 with pick 9 as you suggest in another post.
If we were to win the premiership this year and have pick 18 we would have to give up that pick and next years first and more to get anywhere near pick 9.
Clubs would just say get stuffed and Levi is in the open draft.

Elixuh, Dalions, briztoon, it just feels like this is being massively over-complicated.

To use the earlier example, if Levi gets plucked out as pick 1, we use our pick 18 to take him.

That's it, done, end of story.

Then we still have our 2nd round pick to use later on. If we know Marshall or whoever is gonna be taken at say 15, and we have pick 36, we know we need to be able to trade up a few spots to get him. Maybe we bundle our 36 and 54 for, say, 31. Or use a future 2nd/3rd or whatever.

Either way, there's our discount right there: the fact we're able to get the 1st and 15th rated kids in the country for picks 18 and 31.

No points system required.

I just don't see why it needs to be any more complicated than that.

I believe they don't want one club to get that type of advantage. Using your model on last year's draft Gold Coast would've drafted Walter, Read, Rogers and by the time they got to Will Graham it'll be something like 3rd and 4th round picks combined.

What they're trying to achieve - you got a father son in Levi already in 1 then if another club rates Marshall as a first rounder in 15 and you don't have a first round pick to match anymore, then Marshall goes to the other club.

Instead in my view they could open up future pick drafting instead of just trading. Say we really like Marshall and are happy to invest our future first rounder, then to match 15 we get to use 2025 first rounder. So we have paid fair price according to market - a first round pick - and we got the player we want as well.

The AFL can't bring it in this year unless they're willing to feel the absolute uproar of the teams and become the laughing stock of the AFL media.

It'll come in the following draft.
Who's it going to affect this season?

Apart from us, no other teams look have a high end kid, plus another possible first round kid.

Suns have one high end academy kid this year, but hold 3 first round picks.

Adelaide have a potential mid to late first round father son kid.

Carlton have the Camporeale twins, but they are late first or second round talents.

The only uproar that currently exists amongst teams, is about the possibility of Brisbane and Gold Coast continually loading up with top end academy talent while being at the top of the ladder, or looking like they are loaded with young talent.

Even if we did lose a Marshall or other high rated kid there's a good chance we could lure them back home in a couple of years
Marshall moved to Melbourne to board at a private school at the age of 15, to further his footy career. If he was drafted to a Vic club, I don't believe he'd be requesting a trade home.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article on the draft concessions.

Quotes browny, and mentions how hard it was for clubs who were at the bottom of the table then. But of course, it only mentions us in terms of getting Levi and will.

We did our time at the bottom. That should be noted and respected. And not just

Pretty much been saying most of that since I've been on BigFooty, and more recently on the West Coast board the last two and a half years.

Rebuilding from the bottom, through the draft, with no tradeable assets to accrue extra top end picks, and little to no mid aged talents on the list, is an 8 year slog at best.

Giving a team priority picks, is not a quick fix, it's helping them in 5 to 6 years time.

On another related topic, Browny has been talking up the Suns academy (alot) as a juggernaut, without providing a true reflection of it.

Would not be surprised to see academy access severely curtailed by the time Tassie comes in to the competition.

Sounds to me like Dillon is trying to stamp his authority as new CEO. If he brings it in this year, it’s a really good way to get a lot of people offside by trying to make a power play.

This whole thing just disincentivises clubs doing work to develop kids in non-traditional AFL heartlands. If the Suns for example have a ripping academy that is producing copious amounts of talent, why shouldn’t they get significant benefit from that?

Sounds to me like Dillon is trying to stamp his authority as new CEO. If he brings it in this year, it’s a really good way to get a lot of people offside by trying to make a power play.
The only people/club it will get offside is us.

The Vic clubs have wanted to curtail the northern academies, as they see what's possible.

The SA and WA clubs would like greater access to "their" indigenous kids, failing that, they're happy to see the northern clubs access to "our" kids limited.

Syd and GWS academies are NOT moving ahead as fast as GC's and what ours looks to be.

GC loaded up on picks the last few drafts, to the point that they currently hold 3 first round picks and 2 second round picks this year. They are well placed to cope with possible changes, and continue to push picks in to future drafts.

As for the role of the club developing these kids, my opinion is that most of the top kids in our academy come from football families, where the parents and junior clubs did a LOT of the development work before we picked up the most talented kids from our recruiting zones.

Which is no different to most other sports talent pathways

There’s a lot of talk from people at QAFL clubs that the coaching they get in the academy is little different to what they get at club level.

This whole thing just disincentivises clubs doing work to develop kids in non-traditional AFL heartlands. If the Suns for example have a ripping academy that is producing copious amounts of talent, why shouldn’t they get significant benefit from that?
Because that's not equitable to the competition as a whole.

To be honest, I don't think clubs should be doing this work. The AFL should be. They're trying to shirk their responsibility as custodians of the sport in multiple ways, one of which is by delegating the responsibility for player pool growth to clubs that should be focused on growing their fanbases instead. It's the AFLs abject laziness that has caused this fight to begin with. So if Dillon wants to meddle with the bargain previously made because of heartland state whinging, he ought to just take it all in-house.

Academy beat the Suns by 2 points, on the Gold Coast, in torrential rain, to win the Academy Series. Couldn't take anything away from today's game.
Yer I watched some of it, very very scrappy as you would expect.

One thing I took out of it was that IMO 90%+ of the players on display will never make it as best 22 AFL players and these are the best players in their age groups. I have watched a lot of junior club footy and the number of players that stood out as extremely good was minute, Geesu was a recent one and I wouldn't put the house on even him just yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back