List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

This "same round" business is bullsh!t. So if your father-son selection gets nominated by another club at pick 18, you are cooked because you've already used your first round pick and there are no other first round picks left? Ridiculous.

Hopefully this is just lazy journalism and the actual implication is that you have to have a pick within the next 10-20 picks, as I suggested earlier in the week.

That was my immediate thought as well.

If they consider a round to be 18 picks, why not just make it so that you have to bid match within 18 picks.

That was my immediate thought as well.

If they consider a round to be 18 picks, why not just make it so that you have to bid match within 18 picks.
So sorry, are they saying that that is all you need to match the bid, or are you still going to need to match the points?

So sorry, are they saying that that is all you need to match the bid, or are you still going to need to match the points?

Pretty sure you won’t be able to bundle up picks anymore. But ultimately I’m not the person to ask.

Will Forte Fml GIF by The Lonely Island

Pretty sure you won’t be able to bundle up picks anymore. But ultimately I’m not the person to ask.

Will Forte Fml GIF by The Lonely Island
So if we can’t bundle picks anywhere in the draft.
I know it’s not likely to come in this year but let’s just say Levi went at pick 1 and we had to keep pick 18 after winning the Premiership to match a bid and not able to bundle back end picks. To match that bid will wipe us out of the draft.
And we would need to use the future draft to get back in to match any other bids or take anyone else.
Other than very late picks.

I know it’s not likely to come in this year but let’s just say Levi went at pick 1 and we had to keep pick 18 after winning the Premiership to match a bid and not able to bundle back end picks. To match that bid will wipe us out of the draft.
And we would need to use the future draft to get back in to match any other bids or take anyone else.

Pretty much. Where we have multiple f/s or academy picks in the same draft, unless you’re flushed with picks you’re hoping one falls a bit.

I suppose we would do a lot of live pick trading if certain players don’t fall where we think?

Pretty much. Where we have multiple f/s or academy picks in the same draft, unless you’re flushed with picks you’re hoping one falls a bit.

Wait until a Vic father son misses out getting to Dad's club.
The noise will deafen the place and AFL will be back to drawing board again.

Wait until a Vic father son misses out getting to Dad's club.
The noise will deafen the place and AFL will be back to drawing board again.

No what’ll happen is, they’ll change the rules for f/s and academy. That’ll happen and they’ll walk back the f/s changes but retain the academy rule changes.

I presume that’s their long term plan.

My guess is.

The AFL will scratch the discount on the points value, so clubs will have to pay the full points value.

Plus, clubs will need to hold a pick in the round the bid comes (or possibly trade back in to the round once a bid is made).

There’s nothing stopping us from bundling additional second round picks to add to the first round pick to match the bid. From trading future picks.

Honestly I don’t have a problem if we are a top 4 team, matching a bid on a top 5 prospect who’s almost a can’t miss prospect, if we’re wiped out of the second and third rounds of the draft.

That’s a better option than holding pick 16, 32 and 48 where we’d be lucky if we hit a genuine prospect with one of those picks.

I suppose we would do a lot of live pick trading if certain players don’t fall where we think?
That would be the thing, you would nearly need to trade all picks out of the draft all bar your first and then trade back in, if and when required (if possible)

We also have to factor in how many academy kids we are allowed to match in the first round.

Current AFL rules are, if a team finishes top 4, they are only allowed to match 1 first round academy kid.

Finish 5th to 8th, a team can match 2 first round bids on academy kids.

Finish outside the 8 and there is no limit on how many academy kids a team can match a bid on.

This rule doesn’t apply to father son kids.

I’d be in favour of father/sons going to the chosen club for nothing. That’s just luck of the draw really. As for the academies they need to stay as is until there is more equity in numbers of players being produced but states other than Victoria

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the Dillon "State of the Game" interview yesterday, he was asked about when this new system would be finalized and then introduced.
Dillon said it was within weeks of being finalized but no firm year of introduction has been set yet.

He did say "I would not rule it out coming in in 2024 but i am not saying it would either."

We may need to focus more on project types going forward to get return on investment. Payne, Coleman are good examples.

I like the fact that we've retained both Billy Richardson and Bradley McDonald as 19 year olds from last year draft. Hope one of them comes on so we can pick them up outside draft even.

Elixuh, Dalions, briztoon, it just feels like this is being massively over-complicated.

To use the earlier example, if Levi gets plucked out as pick 1, we use our pick 18 to take him.

That's it, done, end of story.

Then we still have our 2nd round pick to use later on. If we know Marshall or whoever is gonna be taken at say 15, and we have pick 36, we know we need to be able to trade up a few spots to get him. Maybe we bundle our 36 and 54 for, say, 31. Or use a future 2nd/3rd or whatever.

Either way, there's our discount right there: the fact we're able to get the 1st and 15th rated kids in the country for picks 18 and 31.

No points system required.

I just don't see why it needs to be any more complicated than that.

In the Dillon "State of the Game" interview yesterday, he was asked about when this new system would be finalized and then introduced.
Dillon said it was within weeks of being finalized but no firm year of introduction has been set yet.

He did say "I would not rule it out coming in in 2024 but i am not saying it would either."
What a buffoon Dillon is, what is so hard about saying yes it's ruled out for 2024 as it would be unfair on the clubs, clubs plan their drafting strategy years out, this change should at the absolute earliest come in for the 2025 trade/draft periods.

Elixuh, Dalions, briztoon, it just feels like this is being massively over-complicated.

To use the earlier example, if Levi gets plucked out as pick 1, we use our pick 18 to take him.

Then we still have our 2nd round pick to use later on. If we know Marshall or whoever is gonna be taken at say 15, and we have pick 36, we know we need to be able to trade up a few spots to get him. Maybe we bundle our 36 and 54 for, say, 31. Or use a future 2nd/3rd or whatever.

Either way, there's our discount right there: the fact we're able to get the 1st and 15th rated kids in the country for picks 18 and 31.

IIRC the scuttlebutt is yes you will have to use a pick in the round the bid is made in but you will still have to make up the points(+there may be a smaller or no discount on points) with other later selections.

That sort of used to be the system, prior to the introduction of the points system.

Eddie had a big sook about Sydney matching Heeney, bid on at pick 3, matched with pick 18.

Then, wala the points system was introduced.

No I agree 100%. The system that’s been reported is poorly thought out which makes me think what has been reported isn’t the full story or is incorrect.

That sort of used to be the system, prior to the introduction of the points system.

Eddie had a big sook about Sydney matching Heeney, bid on at pick 3, matched with pick 18.

Then, wala the points system was introduced.
Well fine, make it 9 picks, not 18, ie half a round not a full round, whatever.

It just feels like we have created this hugely convoluted system that everybody feels needs to be kept but built on top of, instead of being ripped down and simplified.

No I agree 100%. The system that’s been reported is poorly thought out which makes me think what has been reported isn’t the full story or is incorrect.

Sounds similar to what was implemented for the AFLW draft

What a buffoon Dillon is, what is so hard about saying yes it's ruled out for 2024 as it would be unfair on the clubs, clubs plan their drafting strategy years out, this change should at the absolute earliest come in for the 2025 trade/draft periods.
His reasoning is the Clubs CEO and other staff were meeting yesterday with the AFL proposed plan or plans.
So, i assume he wants quick club feedback on whatever was put to them.
Then i assume that is when that 2 week comes into play. Probably a bit more is the likely outcome.
Finalize the proposed system after all the club inputs.

Only then can you announce if it would be feasible for a 2024 introduction or wait till 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back