List Mgmt. 2024 Father Son watch MKIII. Operation Ashcroft jnr. Featuring various academy boys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Headline is more interesting than the story with this one - basically no specific detail beyond the obvious:

AFL clubs will be forced to pay a higher price for star academy and father-son players as part of an overhaul of the draft points system.
And the league is open to pick purchasing where clubs can effectively buy draft picks with salary cap space and trading more than one year in advance.

The league told all 18 clubs in a meeting of football general managers on Tuesday a revamp of the draft points system was in the works as part of a discussion about the trade and draft system.

It means clubs such as Gold Coast would not get as much of a discount on brilliant first-round academy prospects taken in the first round of the draft after securing four homegrown guns last year including Jed Walter.

But the northern-states clubs will strongly defend their ability to continue to develop and recruit local talents who could otherwise play other sports.

AFL football boss Laura Kane and operations assistant Josh Mahoney led the meeting and asked clubs to break off in small groups to have further talks on key topics.

Clubs want more flexibility to trade picks two years in advance, helping clubs have more capacity to make moves at trade period.

Clubs have been frustrated deals have stalled because of their inability to unlock picks more than one year ahead.

Free agency compensation and the controversial bands system was also discussed as clubs look for more clarity on the wages which trigger first-round compensation picks.

Jon Ralph critical of us on his fox show because we got two father sons last year and another this year.

It always kicks off when the non vfl club gets a rort

Did he mention Carlton getting 2 pretty highly rated father/sons in this years draft?
Or Collingwood's 5 in the past 10 years? Plus 3 Next Gen Academy picks?

Will quite clearly for me, although Levi has a lot of excellent qualities himself.

Will was more dynamic at this level. He was able to win the ball at stoppage and burst forward creating separation into dangerous space to deliver an attacking ball. I'm not saying he was always attacking and direct, but he would take that option when available and it was often available to him. Levi has some burst but less than Will. He looks to offload to a teammate quickly if he wins a stoppage, and will make intelligent movements to separate from his marker first and find an attacking channel before going direct.

Levi has more consistently hit the scoreboard than Will. I think Will is a pure midfielder, whereas it wouldn't surprise me if Levi ends up as a high half forward.

Anyway, I'd have to give it more thought to go deeper. Others may disagree.

If you don’t mind me asking, how is Levi’s kicking compared to Will’s? Will’s kicking is probably one of his greater weaknesses but isn’t that bad if he’s playing for inside a lot. I think Levi will spend a decent time at half forward for us where it may be more important.

If you don’t mind me asking, how is Levi’s kicking compared to Will’s? Will’s kicking is probably one of his greater weaknesses but isn’t that bad if he’s playing for inside a lot. I think Levi will spend a decent time at half forward for us where it may be more important.
Its about the same as Will's, perhaps a little better. He might have a little more penetration, can clear the goal line on the run from 50 pretty easily. I think Will's is fine as well, if he had issues in season one I felt it was just a first year thing where he would be trying to go too fast and rushing his decision making and execution, but you would have watched him more closely no doubt.

Jon Ralph critical of us on his fox show because we got two father sons last year and another this year.

It always kicks off when the non vfl club gets a rort

Let him whinge about father son. He's not realizing a change made there would cause a bigger dent to vic clubs than us.

Ralph lacks creditability. If you are going to talk about inequality you need to discuss all of them not one in isolation. The discussion on Hawthorne being at a disadvantage due to draft inequality - what a lot of s**t. They won many flags due to draft inequalities from GC and GWS coming in. Now the shoe is on the other foot.

Ralph lacks creditability. If you are going to talk about inequality you need to discuss all of them not one in isolation. The discussion on Hawthorne being at a disadvantage due to draft inequality - what a lot of s**t. They won many flags due to draft inequalities from GC and GWS coming in. Now the shoe is on the other foot.
They also had multiple priority picks IIRC during the time they built the core of their tree-pete team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Equality would be great, but it’s not an equal comp to begin with. Standing at the grand final parade last year in a sea of black and white I thought it was going to be an enormous task to overcome the massive home ground advantage. The parade literally went past their training base and the thing was opened by the Melbourne Lord Mayor in a Collingwood jumper (great celebration of both teams).

Over the past 20 years a non-Victorian team has played a Victorian team 11 times in a grand final… and won twice. But some promising kids going to clubs that have historically been pillaged is the real threat to equality?

The hawks capitalised during a compromised era - and played 4 grand finals on their home ground against interstate teams. Richmond had 14 games in a row on the mcg in 2017.

Meanwhile last year’s grand finalist and preliminary finalist (gws) play a combined 4 games on said ground for the entire year. While the premier and other preliminary finalist (Carlton) leave Victoria just 6 times each.

Equality? Let’s not pretend there’s any when it’s been unfair for years.

Its about the same as Will's, perhaps a little better. He might have a little more penetration, can clear the goal line on the run from 50 pretty easily. I think Will's is fine as well, if he had issues in season one I felt it was just a first year thing where he would be trying to go too fast and rushing his decision making and execution, but you would have watched him more closely no doubt.

Fair enough, thanks for the response.

Wouldn’t say it was bad at all, I just think I might be a sucker for an elite midfield kick like McCluggage that just picks a defence apart. Will’s kicking is definitely closer to being like Neale’s long term thankfully than like Dunkley’s.

We’re going to need more picks.

IMG_3105.jpeg
So full points value, with a pick in the same round, then later additional to match the points value.

We’ll match the Ashcroft bid, then possibly need to trade our future first round pick for a later first round pick to match a Marshall bid (looking at GC’s end of first round pick).

View attachment 1963883
So full points value, with a pick in the same round, then later additional to match the points value.

We’ll match the Ashcroft bid, then possibly need to trade our future first round pick for a later first round pick to match a Marshall bid (looking at GC’s end of first round pick).

But surely they’re not dumb enough to introduce it this year when clubs have already made deals on the basis of the current rules, last year.

View attachment 1963883

oh god, they are going to mess it up even further as usual.

I'll start believing in AFL when they make first round as pure draft.

View attachment 1963883

This "same round" business is bullsh!t. So if your father-son selection gets nominated by another club at pick 18, you are cooked because you've already used your first round pick and there are no other first round picks left? Ridiculous.

Hopefully this is just lazy journalism and the actual implication is that you have to have a pick within the next 10-20 picks, as I suggested earlier in the week.

This "same round" business is bullsh!t. So if your father-son selection gets nominated by another club at pick 18, you are cooked because you've already used your first round pick and there are no other first round picks left? Ridiculous.

Hopefully this is just lazy journalism and the actual implication is that you have to have a pick within the next 10-20 picks, as I suggested earlier in the week.

I saw a quote in the mainboard thread regarding Heeney, Demons bid on Heeney at 2 and Swans matched it using 18. This is the other angle to the scenario you mentioned above.

So the same round matching already had issues / will have issues in future too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back