Autopsy Round 7, 2024 : Hawks get pecked by Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Well that sucked.

They turned every possession into a score, and we fumbled and bumbled our way through 4 quarters.

Go at it.

Not sure why I thought we’d give it a good shot today, maybe the positive vibes from the week and the buddy stuff, but that was really disappointing.

Getting smashed in the tackle count again and just general work rate around the ground is tough to swallow. Feels like we need a big “bring your mouth guard” rev up, otherwise we’re just not gonna turn up. On field leadership is really poor when things aren’t going our way, everyone seems to go into their shell.

Positives were Day, Meek, Moore. Too many passengers.

At one point in the last we were

+1 inside 50’s.
+6 clearances
+25 contested possessions

70pts behind.

Diabolical ball use.

At least Day got through? Didn’t he?

To answer the final question in the game thread, yes they are that good, and yes we are that bad.

Terrible game. We would have leaked 8 or 9 goals just by not having someone near the goalsquare. Bad coaching or bad football or is the excuse "modern defending is to take a far more aggressive positioning" ?

And the kicking for goal was amateur. We had 8 or 9 shots where we werent even close to kicking what should have been high likelihood goals.

While we still would have lost, it wouldnt have been anywhere as close to as embarrassing as that was.

Last season they whacked us by 81 points. So technically this is an improvement on 2023.

Happy Well Done GIF

😉

If I didn’t laugh, I’d have to cry

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sub-par AFL level footy, not acceptable.
Wasn't expecting a win, but far out.

Like i said in the gameday thread bring in bloody Ethan Phillips couldn't make things worse.

Last edited:
I think the worst thing for me is we have genuinely taken backwards steps from last year.

Our lack of pressure around the ball and skills are abysmal.

The one thing I said early on when we were getting beaten in games was at least I can see what we are trying to do and the game plan.. and we just lacked polish and we the ability to execute what we were trying.. and now?? ****ed I’ve know… because whatever that is.. it ain’t working

Not a great day. No key forwards. Bombed it in long, time after time. Terrible coaching.

IN. Ryan
OUT. Gunston.

We are so short of talls with Lewis injured all year... to date. Ryan would have kept us tall. Hindsight and all. Gunston looks a shadow, but can pass on a lot of knowledge.

Chol needs a chop out down there. Is is time to bring in Dear?

Still... Hawthorn had a lot of good stuff, in all that. Just need to make points into goals. Keep within a sniff to keep heads up. Not many shining lights on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back