Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

English has been pretty good the last few weeks I thought, I think his struggles this year could potentially be the best thing to happen to the club. If we can lock him in on good solid contract I’d be pretty happy, 5 years 700k areas hopefully. He has his limitations but… Sam Darcy is the answer. Don’t look at what English brings on his own but look at the partnership, as Darcy gets fitter and stronger that ruck split will go from 80/20 to 60/40 to 50/50 and that will allow us to use English more to his strengths, which he obviously still has a lot of.
Hearing absolutely nothing about another team even being close to getting him. Can only help us with our final offer.

If there are clubs legitimately interested in busslinger I'd be getting some sort of value while we still can.

Barely stands out at VFL level.
I think I'm watching a different player. I really want to keep him.
Old school full back vibes, Liam Jones style

I think I'm watching a different player. I really want to keep him.
Old school full back vibes, Liam Jones style
I know what you mean but despite Liam's lack of initial tank, he was lightning fast compared to jed.

Edit: I'd add to this even croft has far better cover across the ground...just has no idea how to control his body or where to be yet.

Last edited:
I know what you mean but despite Liam's lack of initial tank, he was lightning fast compared to jed.

Edit: I'd add to this even croft has far better cover across the ground...just has no idea how to control his body or where to be yet.

I'm indifferent with Busslinger and I agree he's not like Jones. His attack on the ball, intensity and speed is nothing like Jones at the moment. A Weitering type is the hope, really not sure he gets there though.

I'm indifferent with Busslinger and I agree he's not like Jones. His attack on the ball, intensity and speed is nothing like Jones at the moment. A Weitering type is the hope, really not sure he gets there though.

One thing with Buss is he is very confident and capable by foot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing with Buss is he is very confident and capable by foot
He's "old school". Marks the ball and this year he's added running past for the occasional one-two.
I like his positioning and he seems to get to the fall of the ball at the right time.
Considering how much football he's missed in the past two years I think he's developing nicely.

Still would have felt much better if he signed for four. Sounds like he wants to see how we go over the next few years

I read it more as a bet on himself. Maybe he wasn't getting the $$ amount based on potential alone. Thinks he can reach his best footy by 2026 and then get the biggest contract possible.

Could easily be that he wants to see how the team is shaping up and not ready to sign long term, but my reading on it would be that he and his team see it as the best way to get the biggest bag.

Still would have felt much better if he signed for four. Sounds like he wants to see how we go over the next few years

We need to see how he goes too really. Right now, on that money, he's obscenely overpaid.

Early last year he looked a worldbeater though. Wait and see.

He's "old school". Marks the ball and this year he's added running past for the occasional one-two.
I like his positioning and he seems to get to the fall of the ball at the right time.
Considering how much football he's missed in the past two years I think he's developing nicely.
Yep, anyone not thinking he is progressing well after coming to the club after a full shoulder reconstruction has not been watching the VFL.

Expect his debut in the next 3 to 5 weeks

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

In terms of list build we are much closer to a refresh of the midfield than I thought we were only a few weeks ago. This is how I see it. Firstly, there is the Bont. Sanders will in short time be elite. With the emergence of Richards and if we can keep Baz (a big if) then all of a sudden we have a youthful, speedy and tough mix of quality inside and outside mids and this doesn’t include Libba who is probably the most underrated player in the comp as well as Trelor. Rotations can include Garcia, gallagher and Harmes. Overall a great mix of speed, youth, experience, mongrel and quality. I think we can even cover the loss of Baz, particularly if we use whatever picks we get for him on a quality mid.
This all means we can focus on KPD as CC will take one of the small forward roles based on his VFL output, leaving us with CC, West and Weightman as small forwards.

We need to see how he goes too really. Right now, on that money, he's obscenely overpaid.

Early last year he looked a worldbeater though. Wait and see.
Overpaid in what context??

He has attributes other clubs envy so they put obscene offers to him. We do have to recognise those offers are there, don't and he is no longer our player and we never replace him as we are not a club that brings his type of player in.

2 years is ideal for both parties. He either develops and then is paid for more years, or he moves on for the dollars as he has not developed as expected so we get something for him.

Every club receives the funds for the salary cap from AFL distributions. The list managers role is to keep all players you want to keep under the cap, which is increasing rapidly. What was obscene is the new normal

On SM-S926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dogs Salary and the CBA means hes in for big big coin to stay at the Dogs

Agree. Very composed. He has a relaxed style (similar to Weitering as per comment earlier in this thread) although he is taller, faster and better by foot. He will become a quality defender, just hope it’s with us… Must keep
Is he faster? I thought the main worry was his athleticism
Not that it's a huge deal, great positioning can hide athletic limitations in a defender anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back