Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We got Croft too (who would have swallowed up one of those 1sts).

Other clubs would envy our position. It’s very rare to have this many shots at the top end of the draft in a short period of time unless you’re an absolute basket case like North.

Plus you can’t ignore the fact Gags and Garcia are later picks now playing in the seniors
no doubt we have great potential talent assembled and a lot of clubs would be jealous.

but do we have the
1 - the right coach?
2. good enough support players 15-23 ?? thats where its made up of 2nd,3rd rounders +

Last edited:
yeh i know that...
what my point is and its the sanders pick swap, did we give up far too much especially what we have picked up in recent years with those picks we had (naughton, english, weightman) who contribute a lot to the team

We overpaid and should've pushed for more. The deal was done early in the trade period.

I said at the time, if Elijah Hollands was part of the deal, I'd be more comfortable with it. I didn't know he was into the drugs at the time, but the point was we really should've been pushing to bring in another player that could strengthen our best 22 in that deal even if that was someone else.

We've focused too much on getting in top end talent and tried to fill our list with footscray spuds and spuds from other clubs. It's just not working.

During the covid era

I fully understand why clubs would extend their fringe players

Esp with the larger pool of talent not having games under their belts

considering the amount of picks we gave up for jamarra and darcy + lobb trade and 3 1st rounders for sanders. have we stuffed up? i feel the last 3 years have left us light in talent pool and we're forced to recruit scraps

Sanders is going to have to be very very good to justify the trade. Not commenting on right now and being in the vfl or anything, that’s normal, no issue.

He may be a possession winning accumulator type like Macrae as a floor which is fine in isolation, but we spent more than just the one draft pick. Going to need to work on his run/carry and scoreboard impact to justify what we spent imo. Probably wouldn’t be classed as a “burst” mid either (except when running the wrong way). Early days but I’m unsure if he’s the kind of mid teams should be selling out for.

Not that it’s his fault though that our pick is looking like it’s going to be higher than we thought it would be when we traded it.

What I'd like to see this off season...

English out. R1 and R2 in. (Assuming English attracts around $1m per season. I don't think he's worth it).
Daniel out. R2 in.
Smith out. R1 and R2 in. (Assuming Smith is gone. I'd prefer he stays).

R1 x 2 out. High end midfield talent in.
R2 out. Best available ruck in.
Beveridge out. New head coach.
Spanger out. New forward coach.

If we change the coach and Smith stays, I think we play finals next year. But I think we're in for a minor reset to freshen up our midfield if Smith goes.

Last edited:
Sanders is going to have to be very very good to justify the trade. Not commenting on right now and being in the vfl or anything, that’s normal, no issue.

He may be a possession winning accumulator type like Macrae as a floor which is fine in isolation, but we spent more than just the one draft pick. Going to need to work on his run/carry and scoreboard impact to justify what we spent imo. Probably wouldn’t be classed as a “burst” mid either (except when running the wrong way). Early days but I’m unsure if he’s the kind of mid teams should be selling out for.

Not that it’s his fault though that our pick is looking like it’s going to be higher than we thought it would be when we traded it.

meanwhile our old recruiter Simon Dalrymple at swans

1Chad Warner19 May 0122yr181cm80kg604329790Willetton JFC/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle #39 National 2019 AA40: 2022

21Errol Gulden18 Jul 0221yr175cm75kg675432760Maroubra #32 National 2020 AA: 2023; B&F: 2023; AFLPA 1st: 2021

(Log in to remove this ad.)

in retrospect what would would've been better?
to keep Dalrymple and get rid of bevo

or keep bevo and lose Dalrymple

Keeping Bevo but its a shame we all couldn't work in harmony

The 21 GF broke Bevo. Hasn't been the same since

in retrospect what would would've been better?
to keep Dalrymple and get rid of bevo

or keep bevo and lose Dalrymple
From what we know now you could perhaps argue either way. Having an outstanding drafter is almost as important as having an outstanding coach.

However if we'd sacked Bevo in order to keep Dalrymple in 2018 this board and the media would have gone nuclear and we would still be going over the stupidity of sacking a premiership coach just two years after a flag.

It's too easy to make a cosy rear-view mirror assessment based on a further 6 years of history.

What happened happened. It's best we move on to the elephants and alligators that we are dealing with today.

meanwhile our old recruiter Simon Dalrymple at swans

1Chad Warner19 May 0122yr181cm80kg604329790Willetton JFC/Aquinas College (WA)/East Fremantle #39 National 2019 AA40: 2022

21Errol Gulden18 Jul 0221yr175cm75kg675432760Maroubra #32 National 2020 AA: 2023; B&F: 2023; AFLPA 1st: 2021

Simon boss and the person who has a big say in recruitment is one of the best in the business

Simon has moved to St Kilda and Swans aren’t overly concerned probably glad he moved on

Simon boss and the person who has a big say in recruitment is one of the best in the business

Simon has moved to St Kilda and Swans aren’t overly concerned probably glad he moved on

I always said that the years of 06-11
We burnt a lot of good 1st round picks on spuds and players who were injury prone

-ray
- grant
-Williams
-Howard
- Cordy
-everitt

Hence it was one of the reasons we dropped away during 11-14

A bad draft/trade period could set you back. I’m concerned about the lack of young midfielders coming through. Libba and Adz are at the age where they could decline rapidly. Macrae is at the stage now.
Smith is gone
Bont is coming to age 30 soon

Sam power really stuffed up the sanders deal IMO and paid overs

Last edited:
I am happy with how we are playing now? Nope. Do I think we have some gaps in our list? Yep.

But I don’t believe either of these is a recruiting problem - every team has gaps and our list is a premiership level list - it is just not playing as a champion team.

Most other clubs would love to played finals pretty consistently (with a couple of blimps and a premiership and grand final) and at the same time pick up: JUH, Buss, Darcy and two first rounders last year in Sanders and Croft.

Adding to Naughton then Red, West and Smith and Weightman later.

And we should be able to extract value from a couple of later picks but statistically less likely. With guys like JOD and Gags looking good and potential in Clarke showing signs this looks like a ticks and Broken record here - but Freijah will be a star.

Our window is still now and so we have loaded up on top talent when we still have an incredible core Bont, Libba, Trelor, Naughton, English, Red, JJ and early this year would have had Dale, Macrae and Daniel in that strong core group. And plugged holes with Jones, Duryea, Lobb, Bramble, Harmes.

We have also reacted to problems - it has taken to find an intercept marking Easton Wood replacement with a list of people up to Tim OBrien not working - we now have Khamis and hopefully a fit Coffield and up there in the league for intercept marking.

Keath went from AA to dropping off (good to see him getting form back) but we went for Jones and maintained that experienced KPD and a smoky that is working in JOD with Buss a young star developing in the right place and at the right pace - we haven’t needed him to play before he is ready and he will be better for it.

When we haven’t got a specific player we have both drafted kids and gone for a portfolios approach. More recently we have thrown the kitchen sink at wing with Baker, Poulter, getting a go and brought in and Bailey and Gags by changing positions. Friejah looks great and we have the phantom Bedendo being tried.

We are also trying a lot to in the small forward hole: West developing in the mild of the great player from Port that has slipped my mind (?). Jones, McChicken, Clarke and O,Driscoll given as a portfolio of options. This is a work in progress but is being addressed.

At the same time we have lost Dunkley as perhaps the only true big loss. Otherwise every line is more competitive than it was when the current recruiting team came in. Can’t blame them for aging losses.

yeh i know that...
what my point is and its the sanders pick swap, did we give up far too much especially what we have picked up in recent years with those picks we had (naughton, english, weightman) who contribute a lot to the team

Not a fan of using draft points as an example, but 10 and 17 alone (approx 2420) would have still been overpaying for pick 6 (1751).

To throw in the 2024 1st was criminal.

I do understand the nuances of Croft etc but I still think 10 and 17 should have covered pick 6.

Not a fan of using draft points as an example, but 10 and 17 alone (approx 2420) would have still been overpaying for pick 6 (1751).

To throw in the 2024 1st was criminal.

I do understand the nuances of Croft etc but I still think 10 and 17 should have covered pick 6.
We got 3 3rd rounders back too though for Croft.

Easiest way to look at it is pick 17 for Croft and 10 & future 1st for Sanders.

People saying we paid overs for Sanders are also aware Croft was a big factor as to why it happened? We paid slightly overs but it was the right move. Just wait for this time next year when Sanders is averaging 25 possies a game

The only way the Sanders deal was worth it is if our 2024 first is pick 12-18 then it’s probably ok. Let’s see where we finish however at the moment we paid overs

People saying we paid overs for Sanders are also aware Croft was a big factor as to why it happened? We paid slightly overs but it was the right move. Just wait for this time next year when Sanders is averaging 25 possies a game

West coast gave up a lot for Tim Kelly. It really hurt them.

Hawks threw everything at O’meara

End result is it does hurt you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back