Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 6 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

One thing I’m glad is getting airtime is the criticism of our list cloggers.

Nothing wrong with giving a chance to one of Coffield, Harmes and Bramble but there is something very wrong with bringing in all three in one offseason after bringing in Baker and Poulter last year.

I think we all love Sam Power’s ability to get deals done fairly without blinking and his cunning with points etc (particularly after we had overpaid on so many deals over the years). I’m concerned about the players we’re targeting.

Whether that’s Sam’s choice, or the list management team or the coaches I don’t know, but habitually picking other teams’ offcuts is a strategy that has never really worked for anyone.

One thing I’m glad is getting airtime is the criticism of our list cloggers.

Nothing wrong with giving a chance to one of Coffield, Harmes and Bramble but there is something very wrong with bringing in all three in one offseason after bringing in Baker and Poulter last year.

Given the number and demographic of players we shed, and that we still went to the national draft and picked up 5 draftees, I think it’s fine. If we’d done that and only taken 3 kids, I might be concerned.

We need to turn the list over again this year though and bring another 5-6 kids into the club via the ND and rookie draft.

Given the number and demographic of players we shed, and that we still went to the national draft and picked up 5 draftees, I think it’s fine. If we’d done that and only taken 3 kids, I might be concerned.

We need to turn the list over again this year though and bring another 5-6 kids into the club via the ND and rookie draft.
It could probably be justified if we thought we’d contend (which maybe they did) but I’d prefer they looked at state league players and players who were overlooked in previous drafts.

Given both Poulter and Baker are in and out of the side already, I’d suggest they would be on the chopping block at seasons end but we’ve given them both deals for next year, and we already have McNeil, Scott and others languishing.

I can see it ending in a monster clean out at some point.

Pretty sure we are playing the saints

Superstar Marcus Bontempelli’s status as a one-club player is increasingly up in the air, with reports that the league’s best midfielder is unwilling to commit too far in advance on a new contract - despite his wishes to stay loyal to the Western Bulldogs.

As brought to light by Herald Sun journalist Scott Gullan on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle, the Bulldogs captain has been ‘sitting back’ on the idea of re-signing with the club beyond 2025.

“I feel like we tiptoed around the status of the captain, Marcus Bontempelli – he hasn’t been a big talking point so far, where do you think he stands in the clubs melee?” asked Midweek Tackle host and fellow Herald Sun journalist Jay Clark.

“There’s a lot of elephants in the room out at Whitten Oval, and this is one of the biggest ones,” Gullan replied.
“While everyone’s talking about Naughton re-signing, Jamarra, English; Bontempelli comes out (of contract) at the end of 2025 – next year.

“You would think that their best player, you would get on one of these eight or nine-year deals, it hasn’t happened.

“Marcus is sitting back – because I know for a fact that over the summer he was very frustrated, he spoke to several people about the messiness of Whitten Oval (between coach Luke Beveridge, and football director Chris Grant).”
Bontempelli has traditionally been a player who extends his tenure at the Bulldogs in short-term deals (compared to other star players), with this situation on face value seemingly no different.

The 28-year-old signed his current four-year deal to stay at Whitten Oval in May of 2021.

Before that, he received a two-year contract extension in 2018 – signed one year before his previous contract was set to run out.
However, it is the understanding of Gullan that his continued faithfulness to the club that drafted him at Pick #4 in 2013 is no longer guaranteed, should cultural differences between key personnel and team success not be positively rectified.

In a shock to no one, the 221-game player would attract any club in the league that can afford him; should he opt out of his dozen years at the Bulldogs come the end of 2025.

“There are people who have things to do with Marcus who have said ‘I wouldn’t be shocked if he left,’ – now that’s stunning, a lot of water has to go under the bridge, but the point is he’s very frustrated,” added Gullan.

“He’s very loyal Bont obviously – he wants to be there – but this is a reality, and if things continue to go down this path, and he get to the end of this year and he still hasn’t re-signed, that is trouble.

“A lot of people are watching how this plays out, including the captain, who’s frustrated and you see that on the weekend.”

Averaging 25 disposals, 1.4 goals and nearly seven clearances a game so far this season, ‘The Bont’ has been in evergreen form; contrary to his side’s topsy-turvy start in 2024.
The five-time All-Australian has been captain of the Western Bulldogs since 2020, and has kicked 207 goals to date – a seriously impressive ratio in front of the big sticks given his predominant role as an inside midfielder.

The Bulldogs clash tonight with the Bombers – a must-win match for Luke Beveridge’s men if they are to stay in touch with the top eight in the short-term.

Wouldn’t blame Bont. He may not leave but he should be using his contract status to heap pressure on the club.

Team success has cost him Brownlows. His prime has mostly seen him miss finals or get bounced in week one.

I know some will get riled by that notion pointing to a flag (when he was young) and another GF appearance but he deserves to be part of a team that is consistently winning games and in positions to actually contend. He is unlikely to get that here at this point.

It could probably be justified if we thought we’d contend (which maybe they did) but I’d prefer they looked at state league players and players who were overlooked in previous drafts.

Given both Poulter and Baker are in and out of the side already, I’d suggest they would be on the chopping block at seasons end but we’ve given them both deals for next year, and we already have McNeil, Scott and others languishing.

I can see it ending in a monster clean out at some point.

They need to be a bit more brutal. If they aren’t regular best 23 by the end of the year then I’d be happy to see players like McNeil, Scott, Poulter, Baker, Bedendo, etc cut. Perhaps not all of them, if Smith, Duryea and Keath go as well.

If there's even a remote wiff of someone pissing Bont off that's stopping him from re-signing - remove them. Bevo. Grant. KWW. Bains. Don't care.

Bont is the number one to keep no matter what under any circumstance. Period.

He walks? Might as well implode the club.

Superstar Marcus Bontempelli’s status as a one-club player is increasingly up in the air, with reports that the league’s best midfielder is unwilling to commit too far in advance on a new contract - despite his wishes to stay loyal to the Western Bulldogs.

As brought to light by Herald Sun journalist Scott Gullan on Fox Footy’s Midweek Tackle, the Bulldogs captain has been ‘sitting back’ on the idea of re-signing with the club beyond 2025.

“I feel like we tiptoed around the status of the captain, Marcus Bontempelli – he hasn’t been a big talking point so far, where do you think he stands in the clubs melee?” asked Midweek Tackle host and fellow Herald Sun journalist Jay Clark.

“There’s a lot of elephants in the room out at Whitten Oval, and this is one of the biggest ones,” Gullan replied.
“While everyone’s talking about Naughton re-signing, Jamarra, English; Bontempelli comes out (of contract) at the end of 2025 – next year.

“You would think that their best player, you would get on one of these eight or nine-year deals, it hasn’t happened.

“Marcus is sitting back – because I know for a fact that over the summer he was very frustrated, he spoke to several people about the messiness of Whitten Oval (between coach Luke Beveridge, and football director Chris Grant).”
Bontempelli has traditionally been a player who extends his tenure at the Bulldogs in short-term deals (compared to other star players), with this situation on face value seemingly no different.

The 28-year-old signed his current four-year deal to stay at Whitten Oval in May of 2021.

Before that, he received a two-year contract extension in 2018 – signed one year before his previous contract was set to run out.
However, it is the understanding of Gullan that his continued faithfulness to the club that drafted him at Pick #4 in 2013 is no longer guaranteed, should cultural differences between key personnel and team success not be positively rectified.

In a shock to no one, the 221-game player would attract any club in the league that can afford him; should he opt out of his dozen years at the Bulldogs come the end of 2025.

“There are people who have things to do with Marcus who have said ‘I wouldn’t be shocked if he left,’ – now that’s stunning, a lot of water has to go under the bridge, but the point is he’s very frustrated,” added Gullan.

“He’s very loyal Bont obviously – he wants to be there – but this is a reality, and if things continue to go down this path, and he get to the end of this year and he still hasn’t re-signed, that is trouble.

“A lot of people are watching how this plays out, including the captain, who’s frustrated and you see that on the weekend.”

Averaging 25 disposals, 1.4 goals and nearly seven clearances a game so far this season, ‘The Bont’ has been in evergreen form; contrary to his side’s topsy-turvy start in 2024.
The five-time All-Australian has been captain of the Western Bulldogs since 2020, and has kicked 207 goals to date – a seriously impressive ratio in front of the big sticks given his predominant role as an inside midfielder.

The Bulldogs clash tonight with the Bombers – a must-win match for Luke Beveridge’s men if they are to stay in touch with the top eight in the short-term.

I don’t think is coming from nowhere. We’ve seen this sort of thing play out before. Sounds like there are things Bont wants to happen and he’s putting pressure on.

You would think that their best player, you would get on one of these eight or nine-year deals, it hasn’t happened.
He would be 30 by the time his new deal starts. How many 30 year olds have received 8 or 9 year deals?

Buddy was considered very old by the end of his which he signed when he was only 26/27

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They need to be a bit more brutal. If they aren’t regular best 23 by the end of the year then I’d be happy to see players like McNeil, Scott, Poulter, Baker, Bedendo, etc cut. Perhaps not all of them, if Smith, Duryea and Keath go as well.
Look you can’t have zero depth and not everyone is a champion. Duryea had surprised me a little this year and there’s a place for guys like Gardy.

My preference is that our ‘depth’ going forward is players like Garcia who are developing and dominate in the VFL. I can’t stand Cornes but the footage he showed of Baker’s three OOF kicks made me bury my head in my hands. If there’s one thing we don’t need more of it’s poor foot skills.

If Bont left the club i'd burn the place down
With these things it sucks how little we know.

Who knows if Bont is actually angry and if so what he’s angry about. You need to be careful about the tail wagging the dog but he comes across as a humble guy. I also believe he’s close to Bevo so it’s probably not about him.

Might be footy dept dysfunction. Might be player standards like Dunkley. Might be his Mercedes van. Might not be angry.

BulldogMuscle
Hate that I was right haha

Bont leaving is akin to when Chris Grant nearly went to Port. Hopefully it does not get down to a kid's letter with 20 cents in it. If the Bont left we might as well close the doors.

Last edited:
If there's even a remote wiff of someone pissing Bont off that's stopping him from re-signing - remove them. Bevo. Grant. KWW. Bains. Don't care.

Bont is the number one to keep no matter what under any circumstance. Period.

He walks? Might as well implode the club.

Absolutely this! Bont's is in the top handful to ever pull the jumper on, is captain and the face of the club.

The Griffen situation was bad but no where near what it would be if Bont walked. Make any and all necessary changes.

There won't be anyone signing anytime soon, the place is so volatile and Bevo's position getting closer to untenable by the week, all player managers will put a pause on re-signings and monitor this situation.

Need to actually go for one of the well performing 19yo in the MSD too and not just another list clogger like we have been doing in the past

Remove this Banner Ad

Back