News Tadhg Kennelly whacks Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this sort of stuff is popping up everywhere but here's the first of what's likely to be a shitstorm of criticism coming in, but I think he's hit the nail on the head. Only thing I disagree with is the generalisation that the players aren't trying enough when there's a few who clearly do.

But anyway...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...whacks-melbourne/story-e6frf9jf-1226361447422

FORMER Swan Tadhg Kennelly says Jim Stynes would be "turning in his grave" watching Melbourne's lack of pride in its performance.

Analysing Sydney's 101-point demoltion for radio ABC 774, the Irishman said he could teach his 88-year-old grandmother to tackle with more intensity than the Demons showed at the SCG.

"I know the personnel is definitely not there for the brand of football that they want to play," Kennelly said.

"But you can make a choice to tackle, make a choice to put your head over the ball - you don't have to be the most gifted footballer in the world.

"I could get my grandmother at 88 years of age and (she could) tackle. You don't need all the ability in the world to do that.

"The players are making the choice not to implement (coach Mark Neeld's) game plan - these are things that you can control as a footballer.

"You mightn't be getting a kick and you mightn't be kicking great goals, but you can control your intenisty, control your tackling, control your effort.

"And the effort's not there, it's quite embarrassing really for a football club to go through this for so long.

"Neeld must be going absolutely nuts up in the box, I'd hate to be up there as a coach.

"There are only so many movements, so many things you can do in rotations ... if the players' effort and intensity is not there, there's not a whole lot you can do except get rid of them.

"And that's as plain and simple as football comes."

Well said Tadhg, Stynes would be disgusted by the lack of effort from a select few players.

Let's hope Neeld reads this to the players every day until they perform consistently.

what an idiot, firstly Jim isn't in a grave and Jim had a more positive outlook than most. Just because your irish doesn't make you an expert on Jim. What a tool.

3964_50ac_480.gif

Get a grip.

There are only so many movements, so many things you can do in rotations ... if the players' effort and intensity is not there, there's not a whole lot you can do except get rid of them.

We have our share of smug front runners who perform on their own terms.

They may not take notice of the journos, the supporters or even the coaching staff but when other players and former players have a stab that is really saying something. This is their peers speaking out here and it's embarrassing.

when other players and former players have a stab that is really saying something. This is their peers speaking out here and it's embarrassing.

You would think it would embarrass them wouldnt you?

But, this is the Melbourne FC we are talking about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get Kennelly in as a coach. He's spot on. In fairness tho, it's not all the players.

You would think it would embarrass them wouldnt you?

But, this is the Melbourne FC we are talking about.

Sadly you're right Rude. As Tadhg suggests (and as most of us have known for a while) Neeld will have to take to the list with a sledgehammer come years end.

Oh pull it in stick.

He is absolutely correct.

Very true mate.

Absolutely agree with what so many have said already on this.

As opposed to the stark staring mad idiocy unfolding on the main board right now, where lunatics from other clubs are actually demanding, in all seriousness, that we sack Neeld after eight games.

Maybe if they - and that obvious J24 troll who's infested our board - had their way, we could get through three coaches this year.

Or a dozen. Or more. We could give them out after a match as presents ;)

Good on Tadgh for laying it out stone cold, our players need to hear this

Why "good on Tadgh" though? Everybody in the country is saying the same things he said. It's stating the bleeding obvious - we're a mess and in need of a massive overhaul. Attitudes, work ethic, personnel - it's all gotta be revolutionised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back