Club History Completely random Melbourne memories that come to mind for no particular reason

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2006
This is the location section. 🤗
AFL Club
Melbourne
  • Listening to a game against Hawthorn I reckon in ~2003, and being surprised to hear that Guy Rigoni had returned so quickly from a back injury.
  • Cameron Bruce giving away a free kick for tripping on the half-forward flank in a pretty clutch moment (could be wrong) - not sure if that was at the 'G or Colonial.
  • Also on Bruce, Guerra's tackle putting Bruce out of Brownlow contention in 2004/2005 or so.
  • Isaac Weetra marking and then neatly kicking in a back pocket at the 'G, and wondering whether I should have picked him in my SuperCoach side.
  • Paul Johnson (gloved) getting a clearance against West Coast, maybe in Perth, and thinking he was going to take the competition by storm in the following years.

Didn't James McDonald kick a ball against a fence in around 01 or so with a couple minutes left that gave a free to north with the scores close.

Aiden Riley nearly severing someone's spine with a spear tackle at AO I think

Shannon motlops Melbourne career

Didn't James McDonald kick a ball against a fence in around 01 or so with a couple minutes left that gave a free to north with the scores close.
100%. I thought it was against Port, but could have been North - I reckon we had a few games in a row where we lost by a goal or less.

EDIT: Actually, I'm thinking of much later than '01 - more like '07.

Sitting politely by myself for about nine hours after 148 and then being asked to leave by security because they were closing the ground.
When I think of this moment I always think of this marge-is-a-criminally-underrated-character-so-whats-your-v0-qkwfg6vorm8c1.jpeg

Oh yeah Nathan Thompson destroying us in the early 2000s then he got dragged with like 5 minutes left and we ended up winning. That was also against North I think.

100%. I thought it was against Port, but could have been North - I reckon we had a few games in a row where we lost by a goal or less.

EDIT: Actually, I'm thinking of much later than '01 - more like '07.
Are you mixing up Grimes kicking one ootf in the first game ever at Adelaide oval to end the season in like 2012 or whenever it was

Oh yeah Nathan Thompson destroying us in the early 2000s then he got dragged with like 5 minutes left and we ended up winning. That was also against North I think.
Completely forgot about this. Beau Wilkes also got subbed against us after dominating one day.

Are you mixing up Grimes kicking one ootf in the first game ever at Adelaide oval to end the season in like 2012 or whenever it was
Nah, definitely McDonald.

We lost to Port Adelaide by five points in Round 6, then lost to the Bulldogs by six points in Round 7, then lost to North by one point in Round 9. I reckon it was one of those games - maybe the Port one.

This is what I'm thinking of (was the Port game):

"After five straight defeats any chance of a Demon victory was scotched when a loose James McDonald handpass spilt out of bounds with just seconds left and was deemed to have been forced out deliberately."

~16,000 fans at the 'G that day. 😍

"After five straight defeats any chance of a Demon victory was scotched when a loose James McDonald handpass spilt out of bounds with just seconds left and was deemed to have been forced out deliberately."

Yeah weird one I'm think of was McDonald getting frustrated and booting it against the fence, reckon it was a high scoring game as well and we lost. Norf I reckon

Yeah weird one I'm think of was McDonald getting frustrated and booting it against the fence, reckon it was a high scoring game as well and we lost. Norf I reckon
Reminds me of McLean (?) throwing the ball against a plastic white chair in the 2006 Elimination Final, too.

Watched a VFL game to see highly prized recruit Jack Watts in action. He snapped a goal from the boundary line when he was trying to centre it but due to the hype everyone thought he meant it lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

~16,000 fans at the 'G that day. 😍

I broke a chair at the G that day when we lost, some really frustrating umpiring decisions in the last quarter. Was the same day me and cats2rise watched Geelong kick that monster score vs Richmond.

I broke a chair at the G that day when we lost, some really frustrating umpiring decisions in the last quarter. Was the same day me and cats2rise watched Geelong kick that monster score vs Richmond.
The two clubs went in slightly different directions from that day forward. I think cats2rise got the better end of it - just.

Players in the stands laughing and waving to the camera while we were getting thumped....
863dab1be920afe96b9d321958d6a306

We were terrible and playing Adelaide or Freo at the G when they were good. I was sitting behind our cheer squad, maybe 15,000 people there. There was some kind of raffle ticket draw for first goal scorer, I drew John Meesen. It was half time and we still hadn't kicked a goal and I thought: "I could still win this".

It was 2009 when Robbo, Whelan and Wheatley were all retiring in the last game against the Saints at the G who were good at the time.

They beat us comfortably but each of the retirees got to have a vintage moment: Robbo took a hanger, Whelan smashed someone in a tackle and Wheatley bombed a goal from outside 50. The team was s**t but we were having fun celebrating our retiring players. Also Jurrah kicked 4 and one was over his own head.

It was a nice moment.

We were terrible and playing Adelaide or Freo at the G when they were good. I was sitting behind our cheer squad, maybe 15,000 people there. There was some kind of raffle ticket draw for first goal scorer, I drew John Meesen. It was half time and we still hadn't kicked a goal and I thought: "I could still win this".
Its probably the same game but I remember watching a game against Adelaide while on a End Of Season Cricket trip in a bar on the Gold Coast. My mate & I were planning on having a shot for every goal we kicked. We would've walked out sober if we stuck to that plan.

Colin Garland hesitating then kicking the ball off the ground in defensive 50 straight in the hands of some oppo player, crosses my mind from time to time.

Round 1 2013 against Port. Bizarrely, I recall we were expected to win?

It was a big day for me because it was the first time I had been to the G since moving to Melbourne. I’d been before but as an interstate visitor, and I was really excited because now I lived in Melbourne and could have this much fun every week!!! I couldn’t get anyone to come with me so I went on my own and felt really mature and self sufficient that stuff like that doesn’t bother me.

It was horrible and cold and it rained and we were terrible. At one stage everyone around me was moving back under shelter but I stayed out the quarter on my own in the rain. For some reason I thought I had to do this because I deserved it for having such a terrible team. That was the day I realised we weren’t just inexperienced, or waiting for it to ‘click’ (I’d spent years waiting patiently). We were just no good and weren’t going to improve and I would get to sit on my own in the rain for the rest of my life

Round 1 2013 against Port. Bizarrely, I recall we were expected to win?

It was a big day for me because it was the first time I had been to the G since moving to Melbourne. I’d been before but as an interstate visitor, and I was really excited because now I lived in Melbourne and could have this much fun every week!!! I couldn’t get anyone to come with me so I went on my own and felt really mature and self sufficient that stuff like that doesn’t bother me.

It was horrible and cold and it rained and we were terrible. At one stage everyone around me was moving back under shelter but I stayed out the quarter on my own in the rain. For some reason I thought I had to do this because I deserved it for having such a terrible team. That was the day I realised we weren’t just inexperienced, or waiting for it to ‘click’ (I’d spent years waiting patiently). We were just no good and weren’t going to improve and I would get to sit on my own in the rain for the rest of my life
Terrible day at the footy, that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back