Universal Love Melbourne memories

Remove this Banner Ad

Headless

🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈🏳️‍🌈
May 27, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
Inspired by some other threads recently, I thought it would be a nice idea to have a place where we can all reminisce in fond memories from times gone by.

The general idea is that we can think about a few players at a time, and just post nice memories/videos/pictures etc. of our happy recent memories.

For example:

• Jordie McKenzie
  • Peter Walsh
  • Clint Bizzell

And go!

Initial memories:

McKenzie - awesome play on the wing of the 'G that ended up in Salem sinking the Bombers with seconds remaining. That entire sequence was brilliant. One of my favourite wins.

Walsh - felt super reliable and was pretty good in the 2000 grand final, I reckon (?). I was disappointed when he went to Port but always enjoyed watching him.

Bizzell - my first memory is actually an unbelievable torp that went about 900 metres to almost win the game for Geelong, and then I remember a lot of injuries with us early. But IMO he was one of our most underrated players of recent times. Some Lever similarities, I reckon.

Initial memories:

McKenzie - awesome play on the wing of the 'G that ended up in Salem sinking the Bombers with seconds remaining. That entire sequence was brilliant. One of my favourite wins.
A Sunday twilight graveyard shift classic. Pretty sure we lost every single stat but the score.

my first memory is actually an unbelievable torp that went about 900 metres to almost win the game for Geelong

remember that, on the run at the dome, ******* huge kick.

Speaking of Geelong, not much fun down there at KP over the years, but Yze's mark in the goal square and Robbo kicking 7 in a comeback win from 6 goals down.

Fond memories.

Speaking of torps, Jayden Hunt's torp in Alice Springs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ZIn 2018 the Jones, Hannan and Melksham goals in the finals were fantastic. Carroll ruining Gehrig. Whelan wrecking Hird. Sylvia flogging the Tigers, Bernie flogging Danger, Jurrah kicking goals off his back, Bizzell and Yze against Adelaide in the 02 semi, Nicholson going forward when we were 10 goals down, Daniher running down the race high 5ing the air after Jeff whites goal against the dogs. Robbo being Robbo, TJ laconically snagging goals from 55 on the angle, Tapscott being a wrecking ball for a month. Aidan Riley being s**t but smashing campaigners. Nath Jones winning clearance after clearance playing with the biggest pack of spuds you've ever seen. Nifty outbodying blokes twice his size. Brown, Walsh and Wheatley attacking from half back before other teams made it cool. Ferguson, Lamb and Daniel Bell being crap footballers who were brave as anything.

Playing OMac forward in a game in 2019 and he kicked a left foot snap for his first ever goal.
Jayden Hunt handballing from a kick in.
Jack Fitzpatrick playing tunnel ball while playing at full back on Tom Boyd.
The Wiz in 2000 (QB, Prelim, various other bags).
Bruce & Green getting us over the line 2000 QF (sick Yze soccer in the square too).
Leoncelli last minute goal vs Adelaide, can't remember the year but Schwarz smacked it about 20m out of the ruck straight to him.

Colin Garland playing like Wayne Carey in Mark Neeld's first win as coach.

1994 Qualifying Final vs Carlton
Charles kicked 5, Pike and Schwarz 4 with Chopper Lovell getting 30 disposals as we overran the Blues on a warm afternoon.

What a 3 week period that was for Schwarz, kicked 9 goals against Sydney at the SCG to get us into the finals, 4 goals against the Blues and one of the best in an upset win back when the finals were 7th vs 2nd, pretty much BOG against the Dogs the following week with 26 possies 14 marks and 2 goals.

That blind turn and goal vs Carlton

McKenzie was the only player who came out of 186 with any credit, then they declined to award B&F votes for that game so he came out empty-handed. Also tagged Brendan Goddard into the ground when we were complete pox in early 2012, then just as you thought we might win a game... scoreless last quarter. He was an average player but just the sort of wholehearted battler you need when everything else is going badly.

Walsh reportedly called Whopper due to being hung like a horse.

McKenzie was the only player who came out of 186 with any credit, then they declined to award B&F votes for that game so he came out empty-handed. Also tagged Brendan Goddard into the ground when we were complete pox in early 2012, then just as you thought we might win a game... scoreless last quarter. He was an average player but just the sort of wholehearted battler you need when everything else is going badly.

Walsh reportedly called Whopper due to being hung like a horse.
I didn't know that about 186. Interesting decision!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back